BFT 54 disc one answers

Big Al

Track 1: Swahili - Clark Terry

From Clark Terry (recorded January 3, 1955)

Clark Terry - trumpet

Jimmy Cleveland - trombone

Cecil Payne - bari sax

Horace Silver - piano

Oscar Pettiford - cello

Wendell Marshall - bass

Art Blakey - drums

Quincy Jones - arranger

Presenting my all-time favorite drummer, the man whose drumming first attracted me to jazz, Art Blakey. On my first BFT, I specifically set out NOT to include anything by or with Blakey. And then I came to regret it once I sent all the discs out. Blakey, for me, IS jazz. His sound is unmistakeable (darn near everyone said the drums sound Blakey-ish, if they didn't outright identify him), and so, since I wanted this BFT to include some of my favorite players, I wanted to kick things off with the first jazzer that really made me sit up and pay attention.

I was lucky enough to buy this VEE (RIP) a few months back. I had to go to the store, so I took this along for the ride. Can't remember the last time I cranked up a jazz tune this loud, but that bass ostinato, followed by Blakey picking up the beat, and then that cello riff (way to go JSngry, for picking up on that!), and then it just keeps building steam as Terry starts bobbing and weaving as Blakey chides him on! Helluva way to start an album, which made it a cool way to start a BFT, IMHO!

Track 2: Saph - Illinois Jacquet

from The Kid and the Brute (recorded December 13, 1954)

Illinois Jacquet - tenor sax

Russell Jacquet - trumpet

Matthew Gee - trombone

Leo Parker - bari sax

John Acea - piano

Al Lucas - bass

Osie Johnson - drums

Chino Pozo - conga

This track was chosen because it, like the rest of the tracks on this wonderful VEE, seems to get overshadowed by its more famous (and deservedly so) powerhouse jams with Ben Webster. But this track proves that not only was Jacquet a great tenor sax player, but he was quite the arranger, too!

Apologies on the sound quality on this one, I actually attempted to bring the sound level down on this one, but this is as far as I could go!

Track 3: Gal from Joes - Johnny Hodges

From Johnny Hodges with Billy Strayhorn and The Orchestra (recorded "probably" December 11, 1961, don't why they said "probably")

Johnny Hodges - alto sax and leader

Cat Anderson, Shorty Baker, Bill Berry, Ed Mullens - trumpets

Lawrence Brown, Quentin Jackson - trombones

Chuck Connors - bass trombone

Russell Procope - clarinet, alto sax

Jimmy Hamilton - clarinet, tenor sax

Paul Gonsalves - tenor sax

Harry Carney - bari sax, bass clarinet

Jimmy Jones - piano

Aaron Bell - bass

Sam Woodyard - drums

Billy Strayhorn - arranger, conductor

I've always wondered if this album was Johnny Hodges' way of sniping at his boss for putting out an album called Duke Ellington and His Orchestra featuring Paul Gonsalves and letting Paulie get all the solos. On this album, Paulie is relegated to the section, and Rabbit gets all the solos! Just speculating....

I can't begin to tell you how much I love this album, other than to say I like this album more than any other Ellington album. Everything about this album is pure magic, and I believe a lot of that credit goes to the man who shares the title of this album: Billy Strayhorn. It's a shame he didn't play the piano on this album, but then again I'm not complaining: Jimmy Jones has always been one of my favorite piano players, so any chance I get to spotlight him, I'm grabbing it!

Nice memory attached to this album: I was in Montreal for a weekend and found this little book/music store. They didn't have many CDs, but they sure had a lot of jazz CDs; looking back, I wish I'd taken advantage of the favorable exchange rate and grabbed a whole bunch of those discs (some, IIRC, are long OOP, but I'm going from memory). Anyway, I was just about to leave when they started playing this album. Stopped me dead in my tracks (I neglected to bring this CD with me on my trip), so I grabbed a book, sat down, and stayed there for the duration of the album! The high point was during this song, "Tailor Made," which features a screeching Cat Anderson solo. Never seen a store clear out so fast! :lol:

I picked this song, "Gal from Joes," just because it seemed the less obvious. A lot of the other tracks are classic Ellingtonia, but this one never seemed to get much attention. I particularly love the section where the bass trombones and trumpets build a little climax there in the middle! A lot of folks correctly surmised this was an Ellington bunch, a few of you correctly identified Jimmy Jones on the piano, but nobody identified the album. Understandable, given the amount of Duke and Duke-related records out there, but do yourself a favor: GET this one. Strays brought out the best in Rabbit, and IMHO, this beats out any of the albums on the Hodges Mosaic (which I love, don't get me wrong).

Track 4: Mulligan Stew - Gene Krupa

from Gene Krupa Plays Gerry Mulligan Arrangements (recorded October 20, 1958)

Al DiRisi, Ernie Royal, Doc Severinsen, Al Stewart - trumpets

Eddie Bert, Billy Byers, Jimmy Cleveland, Kai Winding - trombones

Sam Marowitz, Phil Woods - alto saxes

Frank Socolow, Eddie Wasserman - tenor saxes

Danny Bank - bari sax

Hank Jones - piano

Barry Galbraith - guitar

Jimmy Gannon - bass

Gene Krupa - drums

Gerry Mulligan - arranger, conductor

Chosen because I'm a nut for big bands, plain and simple. I bought this CD sight unseen when it came out as a VBR a few years back, loved it on first listen, and it's never grown old. It was difficult choosing one track from this album; trust me, if you like this tune, get the CD because the whole album is this good! I picked this one for the ending. What a buildup! My only real gripe is with the stereo spread; what I wouldn't give to hear this one in mono for that nice organic feeling. (As a side note, I heard this track on the radio one morning; I love it when the radio plays a jazz song I actually recognize!)

Just about everyone recognized Phil Woods, but no one recognized the album. I hope this track leads some of y'all to help Verve clean up their stockpile of this CD! :g

Track 5: Runnin' Wild - Glenn Miller and his Orchestra

From The Popular Recordings, but I'll bet you could find it on just about any Miller comp. I can't list the personnel or the recording date because I no longer have this CD. What you're hearing was from a cassette dub from the CD itself. Some of y'all commented on how nice it sounded, so I thank you for that. ;)

Anyone surprised by this answer? I know the general consensus is that Glenn Miller couldn't swing, and this song is my "Oh yeah?" to that. There's a difference between "couldn't" and "didn't." Pity Miller didn't swing like this more often, but I understand you gotta pay the band, so.....

Track 6: On a Misty Night - Tadd Dameron

from The Magic Touch (recorded 1962; can't believe that's all the CD says! Orrin's not doing his job!)

Clark Terry, Ernie Royal, Charlie Shavers - trumpets

Jimmy Cleveland, Britt Woodman - trombones

Julius Watkins - French horn

Leo Wright, Jerry Dodgion - alto saxes

Johnny Griffin, Jerome Richardson - tenor sax

Tate Houston - bari sax

Bill Evans - piano

Ron Carter - bass

Philly Joe Jones - drums

Tadd Dameron - arranger, conductor

I seem to be overlapping players here: third time for Cleveland, second time for Terry, Royal. Later, we'll be hearing from Bill Evans, Ron Carter, Philly Joe, and Julius Watkins. And who knows who else? I can tell you this wasn't planned, but I guess you can expect these things to happen when you put a whole lotta big bands on your BFT.

There are countless reasons I included this tune: first and foremost because it lifts my spirits every time I hear it. It sounds like the celebration of a man finally overcoming his demons and living to tell about it (oh, if only....).

Second, although I love the album from which it came, I actually first heard it on the box set The Riverside Records Story, and so many of those songs bring back happy memories of a particularly happy time in my life. In fact, I'm more used to having this song be followed by Kenny Dorham's "My Old Flame" than "Fontainebleau."

Third, have I mentioned how much I love big bands?

Just about everyone nailed this one, whether they knew who the band was or not. And Johnny Griffin was instantly recognizable. No big surprise there: hell, even I would've been able to identify him! But he, like Blakey, has that sound that is instantly recognizable!

Track 7 "Boomerang" by Blue Mitchell

from Out of the Blue (recorded December 1958)

Blue Mitchell - trumpet

Benny Golson - tenor sax

Wynton Kelly - piano

Sam Jones - bass

Art Blakey - drums

I've always said that Sam Jones and Art Blakey were woefully underrecorded together in their careers. Individually, they were formidable, and this track is included because they are my favorites on their respective instruments. Taken together, something extra-magical happens: Cannonball's Something Else and Grant Green's Nigeria are the only two times I can think of where they were recorded together.

I went through a serious Blue Mitchell jones which, thankfully, coincided with the big Concord sale. I was able to scoop up every Blue Mitchell Riverside CD. For my money, this series of albums smoke his Blue Note albums. IMO, his voice is still very much individual; by the time he got to Blue Note, he sounds like he's trying too hard to re-create the Horace Silver Quintet. However, this track sounds as close to the Jazz Messengers as he ever got. The presence of Benny Golson, whom everyone and their dog identified, certainly helped!

Track 8 "Gemini" by Jimmy Heath

from Triple Threat (recorded January 4, 1962)

Jimmy Heath - tenor sax

Freddie Hubbard - trumpet

Julius Watkins - French horn

Cedar Walton - piano

Percy Heath - bass

Albert "Tootie" Heath - drums

Thought I could sneak this in and see if anyone would guess the Cannonball Adderley band. I never learn. Just about everyone aced this one.

Jimmy Heath was the other artist for whom I was glad Concord had that sale, as I was able to get all of those, too! What a talent: tenor sax, composer, arranger. Of the three, I think I enjoy his arranging skills the most. He takes this sextet and makes it sound HUGE! Consistently!!!

I'll never understand why Fantasy released all of Heath's CDs as Limited Edition OJCs. These deserve to stay in print; hopefully, Concord got that message when folks (myself included) started grabbing these like hotcakes during their recent sale.

Track 9 "As Long As I Live" by Kenny Burrell

from A Generation Ago Today (recorded December 20, 1966)

Kenny Burrell - guitar

Phil Woods - alto sax

Mike Mainieri - vibes

Ron Carter - bass

Grady Tate - drums

The memory is at a good friend's house, looking at his massive CD collection; my son, who was four at the time, is with my friend's wife, and she is keeping him entertained, for which I am completely in her debt; I'm sure this was not part of her plan that evening. My friend asks if I've ever heard this album and he puts it on. Instantly, I fell in love with it. Unfortunately, he was playing a Japanese digipak of the album; it's OOP here in the States (still is). You can imagine how happy I was to find this marvelous-sounding vinyl copy a few months back!

If it sounds maudlin to say that when I hear this song now, it is with a sense of melancholia as my friend's wife passed away, then I apologize. The memory of that night and what she did for me and my son is one I'll always cherish, and every time I hear this song, I think of that night. So this is my tribute to her, my small way of saying "thanks."

Kenny Burrell without a piano is a setting of his that I most prefer, Midnight Blue being one of my other favorites in this setting. It's a pity the vibes are only featured on this one track, and then not very prominently. Phil Woods' alto is featured more prominently on the other tracks. Ron Carter and Grady Tate accompanied Wes Montgomery on his lone pianoless album (and my favorite Wes Montgomery album), Tequila. Their rapport is just as tight here as it was on the Wes album, and I can't help but wonder if they were featured as prominently on other albums (note to self: check that out)

Edited by Big Al

Track 10: To Benny Golson - Russell Malone

From Sweet Georgia Peach (recorded February 17-19, 1998)

Russell Malone - guitar

Kenny Barron - piano

Ron Carter - bass

Lewis Nash - drums

Just a nice song from a very nice album. The quartet gels on every song, making it difficult to pick one song from this album, a favorite of mine for the last nine years.

Track 11: Kissin' Cousins - Horace Silver

From Silver 'n Brass (recorded January 17, 1975)

Tom Harrell - trumpet

Bob Berg - tenor sax

Oscar Brashear, Bobby Bryant - trumpet & flugelhorn

Vince DeRosa - French horn

Frank Rosolino - trombone

Maurice Spears - bass trombone

Jerome Richardson, Buddy Collette - woodwinds

Horace Silver - piano

Bob Cranshaw - Fender bass

Bernard Purdie - drums

JSngry said it better than I could in his guess: HELL YEAH!!!! In looking up the discographical info on this, I realized this was the first of the Silver 'n series, as well as being the follow-up to my favorite Silver record, In Pursuit of the 27th Man.

The groove says it all here!

Track 12: Raggedy Ann - Lee Morgan

From Take Twelve (recorded January 24, 1962)

Lee Morgan - trumpet

Clifford Jordan - tenor sax

Barry Harris - piano

Bob Cranshaw - bass

Louis Hayes - drums

This is starting to turn into a game of six degrees of separation: there's Cranshaw again!

Once again, the groove says it all. I don't know how often they recorded together, but Morgan & Jordan sure make a nice front line, don't they? Louis Hayes is a perennial favorite, making this sound like a good Silver Quintet groove.

Quite a few folks guessed this correctly, and I'm pretty sure everyone al least recognizd Morgan. Can't say that was unexpected, but with Morgan being one of my favorite trumpet players (I think I have more Morgan than any other trumpet player in my collection), trying to find that one track that might catch folks off guard was difficult. This one, however, has long been a favorite. In fact, I'm not sure I could tell you what the rest of the album is like!

Track 13: De-Dar - Ben Webster

From Ben Webster and Associates (recorded April 9, 1959)

Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins, Budd Johnson - tenor saxes

Roy Eldridge - trumpet

Les Spann - guitar

Jimmy Jones - piano

Ray Brown - bass

Jo Jones - drums

Let's call a blues, start with a simple riff, and take turns jamming. Easy right? Maybe, but how many folks could cram this much power into 4-1/2 minutes? Lotta folks correctly guessed Hawk, Roy, & Ben, but I don't remember anyone who didn't correctly identify the album identify Budd.

And there's my man Jimmy Jones on the piano again. All kinds of sweet. Les Spann makes a great rhythm guitarist, Ray Brown settles into a groove so deep it's almost out the other side. And if that's not enough, how 'bout Jo Jones? Jo m-f-ing Jones, y'all!!!!

My favorite moment in this song is when Roy comes screaming in and Jo Jones smacks the snare in response! OH yeah!!!

Track 14: Passionova - Billy Mitchell

From This is Billy Mitchell (recorded October 30, 1962)

Billy Mitchell - tenor sax

Dave Burns - trumpet

Bobby Hutcherson - vibes

Billy Wallace - piano

Herman Wright - bass

Otis Finch - drums

Track 15: RBQ - Al Grey

From Snap Your Fingers (recorded February 19, 1962)

Al Grey - trombone

Dave Burns - trumpet

Bobby Hutcherson - vibes

Floyd Morris - piano

Herman Wright - bass

Eddie Williams - drums

I grouped these two tracks together because both tracks contain a few of the same players: Mitchell, Burns, and the big surprise Hutcherson, who very few folks recognized. This track was from very early in his career.

The sound of these two albums is so similar, I keep them together in my collection. The first track, "Passionova," has been the favorite from this album since I first heard it, but the rest of the album is just as good. In fact, some of the tracks substitute an organ for the piano and don't include a trumpet. Nice change in color.

When I first heard "RBQ," like a lot of you, I thought this was a Terry Gibbs Dream Band. Hard to believe such a big sound comes from so few instruments. I have to confess this is not my favorite Mitchell solo, as he sounds lost for the first few bars. But it all comes to a nice crashing end to finish it off!

Track 16: Second Time Around - Bill Evans

From Quintessence (recorded May 1976)

Bill Evans - piano

Ray Brown - bass

Philly Joe Jones - drums

The only trio track from an album that also features Harold Land and Kenny Burrell. I wanted to use one of the quintet tracks, but I enjoyed the light touch of this track, which feels like a throwaway, something played while unaware that the tape was still rolling. Wish I could find some background on this recording, since there are absolutely zero liner notes on the CD.

I'm glad y'all enjoyed these tracks! Thanks for once again indulging me!

Edited by Big Al

Was this recorded at the RCA studios (Webster Hall)? Sure sounds like it!

Ok, I got to know where this one was recorded.

Track 8: "As Long As I Live" by Kenny Burrell

Kenny Burrell - guitar

Phil Woods - alto sax

Mike Mainieri - vibes

Ron Carter - bass

Grady Tate - drums

DOH! I used to have this on LP, gave it to a guitarist friend as part of a "can't give you all the money, but..." deal for rent one month back in the day. A tribute to the Goodman.Christian stuff as I recall.

Pretty sure that Woods is on clarinet here, dude. Not gonna bet the house on it, but will bet the back yard. ;)

Was this recorded at the RCA studios (Webster Hall)? Sure sounds like it!

Sez here that it was recorded at Fine Sound, NYC.

Ok, I got to know where this one was recorded.

Rudy's. No kiddin'. The liner note writer of the VME has a problem with that, but I actually dig the sound they got. Again, another one I'd like to hear in mono!

Track 8: "As Long As I Live" by Kenny Burrell

Kenny Burrell - guitar

Phil Woods - alto sax

Mike Mainieri - vibes

Ron Carter - bass

Grady Tate - drums

DOH! I used to have this on LP, gave it to a guitarist friend as part of a "can't give you all the money, but..." deal for rent one month back in the day. A tribute to the Goodman.Christian stuff as I recall.

Pretty sure that Woods is on clarinet here, dude. Not gonna bet the house on it, but will bet the back yard. ;)

I wanna agree with you on that, but the record sleeve says he only plays alto sax. But then, he's so buried in the mix, it's hard to tell. And if you can't believe what the record jacket tells you, then who can you believe? ;)

Track 14: Passionova - Billy Mitchell

From This is Billy Mitchell (recorded October 30, 1962)

Dave Burns - trumpet

Bobby Hutcherson - vibes

Billy Wallace - piano

Herman Wright - bass

Otis Finch - drums

Track 15: RBQ - Al Grey

From Snap Your Fingers (recorded February 19, 1962)

Al Grey - trombone

Dave Burns - trumpet

Bobby Hutcherson - vibes

Floyd Morris - piano

Herman Wright - bass

Eddie Williams - drums

I grouped these two tracks together because both tracks contain a few of the same players: Mitchell, Burns, and the big surprise Hutcherson, who very few folks recognized. This track was from very early in his career.

The sound of these two albums is so similar, I keep them together in my collection. The first track, "Passionova," has been the favorite from this album since I first heard it, but the rest of the album is just as good. In fact, some of the tracks substitute an organ for the piano and don't include a trumpet. Nice change in color.

When I first heard "RBQ," like a lot of you, I thought this was a Terry Gibbs Dream Band. Hard to believe such a big sound comes from so few instruments. I have to confess this is not my favorite Mitchell solo, as he sounds lost for the first few bars. But it all comes to a nice crashing end to finish it off!

funny, i love both of these albums (although i like This is Billy Mitchell a bit more i think for the late night feel, this was pretty much the record i had hoped to buy when i got Gene Ammons Angel Eyes) but what surprised me the most when i got the second one (Finger Snap) was how different they actually were, imho both are very coherent, This is BM in its weariness (?), Finger Snap with its slight afro touch, both have a very strong "album feel", to them (despite line-up changes between tunes), more than many hard bop sessions which just collect great players playing great tunes... (and This is Billy Mitchell has one of the strangest album covers ever in a way "the most exciting tenor sax in jazz", can be had cheaply at the moment btw)

Edited by Niko

Track 10: To Benny Golson - Russell Malone

From Sweet Georgia Peach (recorded February 17-19, 1998)

Russell Malone - guitar

Kenny Barron - piano

Ron Carter - bass

Lewis Nash - drums

One of Mr. Bassman's anticipated slaps on da forehead is in place here - I knew that I have heard the sound of that guitar player .... :rolleyes:

Never before was there a BFT where I didn't recognize so many CDs I actually have - been buying way too many over the last twelve months, it seems ...

I called Kenny Burrell "sonic wallpaper" (and yes, I have that Generation Ago LP). :blush:

I missed two of my favorite Argo LPs on 14 and 15. :blush::blush:

And we have a new record of recordings owned on a single BFT disc (too lazy to check if I still own the Russell Malone disc), and when you factor in that with how few I actually got right, the shame just goes on and on and on ...

:blush::blush::blush:

Thanks again for a fine disc, Al. I figure I won't be as embarrassed by the answers to disc 2, as I didn't really care for it as much as disc 1. :g

Track 13: De-Dar - Ben Webster

From Ben Webster and Associates (recorded April 9, 1959)

Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins, Budd Johnson - tenor saxes

Roy Eldridge - trumpet

Les Spann - guitar

Jimmy Jones - piano

Ray Brown - bass

Jo Jones - drums

Let's call a blues, start with a simple riff, and take turns jamming. Easy right? Maybe, but how many folks could cram this much power into 4-1/2 minutes? Lotta folks correctly guessed Hawk, Roy, & Ben, but I don't remember anyone who didn't correctly identify the album identify Budd.

True enough, but I gotta say, Budd's my guy -- I'd have gotten him either way (see answers for BFT #55). I wish more people dug that guy, he sort of gets forgotten. I'm ticked that I got Billy Mitchell on #14, but not #15... how lame is that? :blink:

Never before was there a BFT where I didn't recognize so many CDs I actually have - been buying way too many over the last twelve months, it seems ...

Yeah, same here - I have the Webster, Terry, Jacquet, Grey and Mitchell discs... at least I did recognize Grey, but those two (to me they sort of belong together, the LPRs of Mitchell and Grey - in mood, in style, in relaxedness) are new in my collection, and the Terry hasn't been played for a looooong time. With the Jacquet, I'm indeed one who loves the two jams with Ben the most... for the jump stuff, I rather play some of the Mosaic. The Webster is good, but it never really gelled with me.

At least I did recognize Bill Evans (I own practically all his recordings, but some I've only played once yet, some not at all... Fantasy and general buying frenzy to blame for that...), and also Silver, though I don't have that one... might be indeed a good Mosaic Select, to put those Silver'n albums together (would they all fit onto 3 CDs?)

Oh, and now let me slab my forehead (slab is of course softer than slap, I wonder what's the problem with that? Wer'e no northern Germans who say "Appel" instead of "Apfel" and other such crazy hard things... and we don't want to get serious headaches because of too hard slaps, so we just do a softer kind of slab, you know... :g)

a little postscript: the Dameron I have as well... and I failed to recognize it last time it was in a BFT already... but it's the one Dameron album I don't know that well yet. I love his scoring, though, those airchecks from the Royal Roost are magic - now that would be a terrific Mosaic Select! Too bad copyrights aren't just 50 years in the US... and too bad those things aren't readily around over her so some thieves could pull it all together... I managed to find three of those Rose LPs (Ult-Tadd, Ozone, whatever) and one LP from an old "Musica Jazz" magazine with a couple of additional (I think) takes, but I have no means to do good transfers... and there's duplication on those discs, they're a total mess anyway, not ordered in any way... then there's the Fantasy disc with most of the tracks with Fats Navarro in the band but no exact dates of recording given, and then there are two Jazz View boot CDs again with all the Fats material (including the short theme songs omitted on the Fantasy disc) and some more... it would be terrific to have that all compiled and sounding, say, as terrific and vivid as disc 4 of Sony's Count Basie box!

And two last notes: I have most of Blue Mitchell's OJCs by now - they're a nice bunch, most of them superior to the BN albums, I think. But I'm not that familiar with them - that's why I only got Golson...

And as for Heath, I've owned a Japanese edition of "The Quota" for a while now, but the others just only arrived ("The Thumper", "Triple Thread" and "On the Trail") - I'm looking forward to hearing them a lot!

("Swamp Seed" seems to be gone for good, and the big one is in the Keepnews collection, so I figured there was no need to hurry and buy it quite yet.)

... and also Silver, though I don't have that one... might be indeed a good Mosaic Select, to put those Silver'n albums together (would they all fit onto 3 CDs?)

I'm afraid not:

Silver 'n' Brass (ca. 41')

Silver 'n' Wood (ca. 47')

Silver 'n' Voices (ca. 43')

Silver 'n' Percussion (ca. 39')

Silver 'n' Strings play Music of the Spheres (2 LPs - don't have it)

The first 4 add up to 170' - if you add 80' more for the Strings double, that's 250' - too much for three CDs.

I'd prefer these as individual Connoisseurs ...

... and also Silver, though I don't have that one... might be indeed a good Mosaic Select, to put those Silver'n albums together (would they all fit onto 3 CDs?)

I'm afraid not:

Silver 'n' Brass (ca. 41')

Silver 'n' Wood (ca. 47')

Silver 'n' Voices (ca. 43')

Silver 'n' Percussion (ca. 39')

Silver 'n' Strings play Music of the Spheres (2 LPs - don't have it)

The first 4 add up to 170' - if you add 80' more for the Strings double, that's 250' - too much for three CDs.

I'd prefer these as individual Connoisseurs ...

Oh gawd! And I've got three of those!

MG

are they good?

Mike, I think I'd rather prefer Conns, too, but then I think that's a ruther unlikely thing to happen...

and how is that Conn, United States of Mind or what's it called? I have some catching up to do as far as Conns go (I have the Blackburn, Evans and Ilori discs, but nothing after that, and I miss some earlier ones, too)

Are they good? Can Horace play bad music?

Well ... if you can, have a listen to samples of the double Conn with the vocalists - you either like it or you don't. I like them, especially as Andy Bey is on them, but they're a little tighter and funkier than the previous Silver Blue Notes, and no horn solos.

The five last ones are jazzier, the horns and brass the most, although you have to like Wade Marcus' orchestrations. They're catchy, for sure.

Yes.

I think I'll say that, had I not been handicapped by an extremely quiet laptop, I might have recognised two of them. I recognised the Blue Mitchell, but couldn't identify it, because I forgot I had some on LP and only looked at the CDs.

That' my story and I'm sticking to it :)

MG

Yes.

I think I'll say that, had I not been handicapped by an extremely quiet laptop, I might have recognised two of them. I recognised the Blue Mitchell, but couldn't identify it, because I forgot I had some on LP and only looked at the CDs.

That' my story and I'm sticking to it :)

MG

Hey, that works for me! Especially since I have an LP-player now! :g