Preparing for exile in what could be a hostile land

pollock

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, I hate to say it, but I always thought of AllenLowe as MY cute little handle here -

and hell, I've been thrown off of so many bulletin boards I can't remember 'em all (actually only two: The Fender Forum for telling the head man that guns are indeed a political issue - he insists they are not, and will brook no dissent -and the 78 list for telling them "hey whitey black music is gonna get your mama" when so many of them insisted that white people were the prime source of jazz and blues) -

and this place has definitely gotten more civilized since Jim got (justifiably) fed up -

It's always puzzled me why folks feel the need to have cutesy screen names and/or fictional personalities to post on a jazz bulletin board.

Well, the problem is, once you do it, you're kind of stuck. In the incestual (is that a word?) world of jazz bulletin boards, jazzmoose is pretty well known, but who the hell ever heard of Mark Combs? And once you're known by that name, you're just as "googlable". The different names on different boards I don't understand, although I used "Mrs. Anne Elk" on JazzCorner for a while. I don't think I fooled anyone, but then it wasn't my intention to do so.

I think I recall Mrs. Elk--she was a dear.

Thanks for the compliment; I'll have to send you some doe. Or at least a few bucks...

Hello. My name is "pollock." All I ask is that you allow me to quietly observe the proceedings, and allow me to make an attempt to contribute when I feel that I have something to contribute.

Welcome here. You may just find it a bit of a relief.

Here's what someone posted at that other place recently:

This is a jazz website. The board is provided so people can talk about jazz.

After all the smoke cleared from the mess several weeks ago, I saw a post from someone who said that a number of people had "gone over" to another site. The name of this site starts with an O. It's based around an organ trio, which I've never heard of.

So I checked it out. And i didn't see any discussion of jazz taking place there at all. Instead I saw posts that said "How ya doin?" "Good to see you." "Can you believe those people over at AAJ?" You go to the musicians' forum and it's just a lot of silly one-liners. No substance.

I think these sorts of forums have as many defintions as there are people using them.

Speaking only for myself, jazz is just part of what it's all about these days. Many of us have talked that particular topic to, um, death. As well, for me, jazz is just a part of the whole glorious buffet that are my current musical tastes.

But I still I continue to hang out here and at JC.

Why? Because that despite my digging to bits rock and country and blues and pop and, oh yeah, jazz, I continue to like talking about them with jazz fans. I check out the Steve Hoffman forums every now and then, but I prefer the goofballiness, sarcasm, cynicism, lateral thinking, aggression, humour, kindness, intelligence and so on that jazz fans bring to the table.

Same goes for talk about food, politics, movies, books, and even serious stuff like family fuckups and so on.

For me, this isn't a place to come and talk about jazz and jazz stuff. It's a place where jazz people come to talk ... about just anything.

So make of this here place what you will - others sure do. :excited:

Edited by kenny weir

After all the smoke cleared from the mess several weeks ago, I saw a post from someone who said that a number of people had "gone over" to another site. The name of this site starts with an O. It's based around an organ trio, which I've never heard of.

So I checked it out. And i didn't see any discussion of jazz taking place there at all. Instead I saw posts that said "How ya doin?" "Good to see you." "Can you believe those people over at AAJ?" You go to the musicians' forum and it's just a lot of silly one-liners. No substance.

Well, that's one way to (not) look at it. :rolleyes:

Hey Joe! How ya doin? Good to see you. Can you believe those people over at AAJ?

Speaking only for myself, jazz is just part of what it's all about these days. Many of us have talked that particular topic to, um, death. As well, for me, jazz is just a part of the whole glorious buffet that are my current musical tastes.

But I still I continue to hang out here and at JC.

Why? Because that despite my digging to bits rock and country and blues and pop and, oh yeah, jazz, I continue to like talking about them with jazz fans. I check out the Steve Hoffman forums every now and then, but I prefer the goofballiness, sarcasm, cynicism, lateral thinking, aggression, humour, kindness, intelligence and so on that jazz fans bring to the table.

Same goes for talk about food, politics, movies, books, and even serious stuff like family fuckups and so on.

For me, this isn't a place to come and talk about jazz and jazz stuff. It's a place where jazz people come to talk ... about just anything.

So make of this here place what you will - others sure do. :excited:

Very well put! Jazz brought me here; the fact that it's home keeps me here.

Hello. My name is "pollock." I am a regular on another jazz website. And I suspect that I posted something this evening that may well be the cause of my undoing.

I say I suspect it because I don't know what will result from my outburst. Something, someone, made me very angry. There are on these discussion bulletin boards persons whom I call vandals. I call them that because what they do is the equivilant of breaking windows, spray-painting hateful slogans and recklessly damaging anything in order to make a statement, always anonomously.

Tonight I reached a point where I could not control my anger over this behavior. I threw all caution to the wind and broke the rules, I demeaned myself with vulgar language expressed violently.

If I am to be banished here then so be it. I know that many of you here think ill of me. All I ask is that you allow me to quietly observe the proceedings, and allow me to make an attempt to contribute when I feel that I have something to contribute.

Jazz is my life. It is the air I breath. It is the beating of my heart. It is my sanctuary.

Those of us who have plumbed the depths of this music know that we are a small and select group. We live in the shadows of modern culture. Yet we live in those shadows by our own choice, and in those shadows we are inspired and lifted up.

This, then, is my greeting to you. Accept me for what I am. I humbly present myself as an exile here, who means to do no harm.

P

nice to see you on whichever board. hoping to get an autographed copy of the first pressing of whichever cd includes a certain tune that alludes to aroma and sugar. (didn't blow your cover, did i?).

maybe we can all try to love one another a wee bit more... :wub: (or not :()

still, the soap opera is fun to follow. i hope for justice, but don't really expect it.

anyway, i think very highly of you (fwiw), and appreciate your candor and your music.

:cool:

Edited by randalljazz

Hey Joe! How ya doin? Good to see you. Can you believe those people over at AAJ?

Good to see you! Keep up the good work in the musician forum - those one-liners are killin' me!

Hello. My name is "pollock." All I ask is that you allow me to quietly observe the proceedings, and allow me to make an attempt to contribute when I feel that I have something to contribute.

Welcome here. You may just find it a bit of a relief.

I think these sorts of forums have as many defintions as there are people using them.

[...]

What's really ironic is that this person is posting here now.... :huh:

Thank for for that very kind statement, Randaljazz.

Well, it's true.

Wordsandsounds, I see that you're from Carrboro, NC. I grew up in Chapel Hill. Lived in Carrboro for a spell.

Edited by pollock

Thank for for that very kind statement, Randaljazz.

Well, it's true.

Wordsandsounds, I see that you're from Carrboro, NC. I grew up in Chapel Hill. Lived in Carrboro for a spell.

In Orlando for the time being right now actually, guess I should update that... I loved the area though.

His unhappy personal life (he was an alcoholic) and his premature death in a car crash contributed to his legendary status.
:(

About Pollock, the painter, I saw the big exhibition in Paris in 1982, it was quite an experience. About alcoholic and the premature death and the all the leftist critics, BULLSHIT! He was a damn great painter, like Rotkho.

And I invite you all to see his painting "Summertime" at the Modern Tate, London, an enlightening experience, not different from some cornerstones of jazz history like Kind Of Blue or A Love Supreme.

In other words, EDC's words, fuck you if you didn't understand the GREAT JACKSON POLLOCK!