Preparing for exile in what could be a hostile land

pollock

Does this mean that we'll never learn how voicing everything with a C7#9 chord is gonna invent jazz atonality?

Say it ain't so!

Oh yeah. A very friendly place, this is.

Here's the thing, and it goes to the essential difference between the two boards, IMO. ... Don't take it so seriously.

The 'join or get lost' comment (I paraphrase) was kinda funny, really. There's a whole lot of deconstructionist navel gazing that you can easily get sucked into elsewhere, and you end up in a battle royal over the nature of blues, if you know what I mean. It's all so draining.

So, you know ............ :D

Edit to correct the spelling of navel ... damnit! :ph34r:

Edited by papsrus

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, dude, you gaze at that damn navel long enough and the lint just starts taking on a life of its own and it just gets all....creepy and shit after a while. Like there's littel furry people who live there that you can kinda see and kinda hear, but they never really materialize as anything other than a nagging internal distraction during sex. Yuck on that!

We got a navel washing station here, first door on the right as you come in, last door on the left as you go out. No charge!

Trust me - life with a clean navel means a lot of good things for you and for me!

This is in reference to a little "essay" I put up in the musician forum about how I was using open-voiced quartal harmonies in the music I write. I never intended it to mean that I had discovered any new territory. I thought there might be some other composers here who would care to talk about their approaches and that we might get into a discussion about composing jazz. That's all. At the end of my post I clearly stated that there was nothing new in what I was talking about. The responses were rather dismissive, and a couple were just plain silly, referring to Jimi Hendrix and James Brown.

Oh, "silly"...listen man, having a fourth in a chord does not make quartal harmony. Not in my book.

Here's the thing, and it goes to the essential difference between the two boards, IMO. ... Don't take it so seriously.

The 'join or get lost' comment (I paraphrase) was kinda funny, really. There's a whole lot of deconstructionist navel gazing that you can easily get sucked into elsewhere, and you end up in a battle royal over the nature of blues, if you know what I mean. It's all so draining.

So, you know ............ :D

Edit to correct the spelling of navel ... damnit! :ph34r:

Seconded, papsrus! :)

why discuss the board? Just DISCUSS!

Because this thread is in the Forums Discussions folder? :blink:

But it's 6 pages of discussion about someone thinking about joining in the discussion elsewhere on this board. I just don't get it.

At least it's in the right folder. :lol:

Ok.

So, how's the career going?

Are you kidding? It's going great! Got a rehearsal with my band tonight, gigs are starting to get lined up, and we do nothing but 100% original jazz music. Recording a CD this summer. The music is already getting notice on the internet. Meanwhile I'm still working as a freelance musician, the money is good, the wife is lovely and we're both excellent cooks. Obama's won 10 in a row. Life is wonderful.

You?

But it's 6 pages of discussion about someone thinking about joining in the discussion elsewhere on this board. I just don't get it.

Maybe we should invite Pollock to think about considering joining in the discussion that we've been having about considering the concept of starting a band.

Maybe we should invite Pollock to think about considering joining in the discussion that we've been having about considering the concept of starting a band.

I don't think we can have that discussion in this folder. :unsure:

Ok.

So, how's the career going?

Are you kidding? It's going great! Got a rehearsal with my band tonight, gigs are starting to get lined up, and we do nothing but 100% original jazz music. Recording a CD this summer. The music is already getting notice on the internet. Meanwhile I'm still working as a freelance musician, the money is good, the wife is lovely and we're both excellent cooks. Obama's won 10 in a row. Life is wonderful.

You?

That's what I'm talkin' about!

Maybe we should not worry about where other members are posting or whether they are "joining the discussion", whatever that means.

I fail to see how Chuck's "get the fuck out" comment helps anything.

What members did on other boards ought not to to influence how we receive them. I think bluenote was truly out of order on a couple of responses I read over there, but he is now here and I think we need to sit back and see how he does rather than pounce on him like a turf-protecting gang. We should rise above the kind of mean-spirited nonsense that recently has brought so many new members to our board.

Why leave out the first half of the sentence?

I just didn't quote the whole thing. I did mention not worrying about whether people are "joining the discussion".

I don't see why it is healthy for the sustainability of this board for new members to constantly be met with such hostility, by a number of people. If anyone can justify that to me, I'd welcome that. Since, last I checked, there are no rules on how you must "enter" the community and conduct yourself for the first 100 posts or whatever, why get all bent out of shape when someone decides to introduce themselves a certain way?

Your board. Sorry to have been a problem.

Chuck, I love having you here and I consider you a dear friend. I hope you know that. It's not that you're a "problem", it's just that there's almost a "hazing" ritual that happens when new people join, and while it can be funny to us insiders, I don't think it really helps the overall health or perception of the board.

I'm not trying to make anybody leave or anything like that, especially you. I'm just want to make this place a little friendlier for the newcomers. Remember, we were once all exiled as well.