Erroll Garner, a Mosaic Box natural

Larry Kart

It'd be nice if the Overture to Dawn series came out as either a 2-CD Conn or a 3-CD Mosaic Select. (I'm guessing that five 10" records would fit on two CDs, much like the Gil Melle Conn that came out years back)

I don't think EMI/Blue Note retains the rights to any of the material. (?)

It'd be nice if the Overture to Dawn series came out as either a 2-CD Conn or a 3-CD Mosaic Select. (I'm guessing that five 10" records would fit on two CDs, much like the Gil Melle Conn that came out years back)

I don't think EMI/Blue Note retains the rights to any of the material. (?)

I don't think Michael C. has any interest in the "Overture" material .

• 10 months later...

Any news on the Garner front? I'm afraid one of the most popular jazz artists of our lifetime will soon be a mere footnote.

If you're asking about a Mosaic Erroll Garner box, that project is definitely dead (see also my first post in the Mosaic Ahmad Jamal box thread). Approval was denied by the Garner estate.

Edited by J.A.W.

And the downside of an Erroll Garner Mosaic boxed set is....?

Whoever made the decision evidently doesn't need the money. Oh, well, the European thieves will eventually reissue the material without authorization or compensation.

Knowing the Garner estate, if the European thieves make a move, we'll have World War III.

Guest youmustbe

Erroll is/was terrific in small doses. I don't want to offend, but he really was very limited, wonderful as he was. I still have the Paris Impressions twofer, because of the harpsichord pieces. The rest, I think I've listened to most of the albums he made, I sold or gave away.

Live was where the sameness, the same one solo for each tempo regardless of the tune, didn't matter. He was a great showman.

Also impossible to copy his style today. So he might wind up forgotten unfortunately.

The following site purports to be "the official repository of material for the Errol Garner estate":

http://errollgarner.com/

The curator is identified only by an e-mail address: fchoodless@comcast.net

It has been a long time since I've had a call or letter from Martha Glaser. Is she still around? If not, who/what is the estate and why does the suppression continue?

The following site purports to be "the official repository of material for the Errol Garner estate":

http://errollgarner.com/

The curator is identified only by an e-mail address: fchoodless@comcast.net

It has been a long time since I've had a call or letter from Martha Glaser. Is she still around? If not, who/what is the estate and why does the suppression continue?

She still has business phone in NYC. I haven't spoken to her in several years.She is the only person I know where her lawyer fired her as a client. Michael Cuscuna would have the answers you are looking for.

Guest youmustbe

I talked, interviewed her about 2or 3 years ago and she was quite lucid and friendly and asked me to call her back anytime. I called about a year ago and an answering service answered and I left message and have not heard from her.

Dan Morgenstern told me she still thinks Erroll is alive, the way she talked about him.

She was devoted to him and did a great job.

If she went over the edge, well it was her life managing Erroll Garner.

I talked, interviewed her about 2or 3 years ago and she was quite lucid and friendly and asked me to call her back anytime. I called about a year ago and an answering service answered and I left message and have not heard from her.

Dan Morgenstern told me she still thinks Erroll is alive, the way she talked about him.

She was devoted to him and did a great job.

If she went over the edge, well it was her life managing Erroll Garner.

The problem is, she seems to want to keep him to herself...

• 2 months later...

His entire catalog is available at every thrift store. I can buy them all for 50 cents a piece and put them in my own box.

Where can one find a discographical listing of his Columbia albums, when they were recorded, released, etc.? I've looked all over and found a six-page discography in French, but even THAT'S not complete.

His entire catalog is available at every thrift store. I can buy them all for 50 cents a piece and put them in my own box.

Where can one find a discographical listing of his Columbia albums, when they were recorded, released, etc.? I've looked all over and found a six-page discography in French, but even THAT'S not complete.

Jim Doran's book-"Most Happy Piano" -Scarecrow Press has a very complete disco.

• 5 years later...