Stan Getz - Your Favorite Albums

Guest bluenote82

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of sounding "moldy fig", maybe my no. 1 favorite Getz session still is "At Storyville".

Other favorites are the Jimmy Raney session mentioned earlier and "Hamp and Getz" as well as his Stockholm sessions of 1958. I am less familiar with his later work (some of what I have heard sort of put me off, have never really got into "Children Of The World", for example, and sold it off - a rare occurrence I part with records I do not have in duplicate ;)) but will definitely have to explore his bossa period a bit more.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 2 years later...
On 4/26/2013 at 7:02 AM, AllenLowe said:

to me Focus is a perfect example of what Paul Bley was talking about years ago when he mention how on certain kinds of more advanced pieces the soloists' language was not up to the composer's language - meaning that a jazz soloist might be faced with some very complex and advanced piece, and would respond with the usual bebop lines.

To me Focus is a variation on this problem - beautiful work by Sauter, and Getz hasn't a clue as to what to do with the material; for one example, I remember that on one piece he repeats the same diminished scale over and over again as though this is some kind of major tonal discovery for him.

This has always bothered me.

Been revisiting Focus over the weekend, and like it a lot more than I used to...except when I don't. That diminished scale thing is painful, actually, and I do feel you on that particular pain. And occasionally, that shit is just sappy.

But other parts...it's easy (and probably correct) to hear Getz as playing very "easy", just putting out his core language over the strings. But then again, lyricism is lyrical after all, so I don't know...perhaps it's a miracle of self-editing?

It works better for me if I list to Getz' playing as secondary (or at the very most, 48%) to the "event" rather than primary. It's growing on me if I let it (no infection jokes, please).

Reading through this entire thread that began roughly 10 years ago was interesting. There was quite a diversity of opinions which is to be expected.

I have been a serious fan of Stan Getz since I first heard him on an extended Play 45 RPM recording back about 1953. There are only a small number of his recordings that I don't care for, and some of them are favorites of others who posted here. 

My taste definitely leans heavily toward straight ahead, non electronic jazz. So, Mickey One, Another World and Communication are  items I purchased and soon disposed of. Captain Marvel is by no means among my favorites. At one time I was crazy about Sweet Rain, but that 70s style gradually became less pleasing to me. Focus is also one I don't really enjoy much.

The long list of things I truly love by Getz include things such as  The early things with Raney, most of his material on Verve, the Bossa Nova sessions, his later things with Lou Levy and especially Kenny Barron. I find thay fit better with Getz than does Jim McNeely, though I enjoy the albums with him too.

i tend to find it unproductive to let the personalities of artists effect my opinion of their art. There are musicians, painters, writers, actors, etc. who may be total jerks or worse, but great music, literature, paintings, and performances can be judged on their own merit. If we allow personality to be significant in judging a work of art, we will most likely have to throw out a huge number of great art works in every field.

• 5 years later...