Stan Getz - Your Favorite Albums

Guest bluenote82

My favorite Getz recording currently is the wrong track on the Hippo box. I can not believe these creeps ask us to live with an mp3 as a correction on a premium price set. I have purchased a number of their products and have stopped there. The lame Coltrane sets do not encourage more spending.

If I can send out corrected discs and print material, why can't these conglomerates?

My answer to that would be - they just don't care. Music doesn't matter to them and their customers don't matter to them. But I guess we know that already and your question was rhetorical.

Edited by paul secor

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite Stan Getz albums are:

1) Whatever is now available to cover his work in 1950-52 with Jimmy Raney, Tommy Potter, Roy Haynes and Al Haig or Horace Silver. (I have this on vinyl).

2) East of the Sun/West Coast Sessions (Verve). 1955-56 sessions with Lou Levy, Leroy Vinnegar, Conte Candoli and Shelly Manne or Stan Levey.

3) Stan Getz and J. J. Johnson at the Opera House (Verve). 1957 session with the Oscar Peterson trio and Connie Kay in which everyone blows up a storm!

A Jimmy Raney date that was reissued as Early Getz is outstanding (the other side on the vinyl edition had a small group out of Woody's band). Raney wrote some excellent originals like Motion, Signal, and Lee, and there's a memorable Round Midnight. Hall Overton, Red Mitchell, and Frank Isola (I think) are the rhythm section. Getz-Raney got a great blend. The live stuff is better known, though. Give this one a listen.

Yes, you're right. I now have this on the Early Stan album. Nice cover!

51H9kS5qtnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My favorite Getz recording currently is the wrong track on the Hippo box. I can not believe these creeps ask us to live with an mp3 as a correction on a premium price set. I have purchased a number of their products and have stopped there. The lame Coltrane sets do not encourage more spending.

If I can send out corrected discs and print material, why can't these conglomerates?

Chuck,

Can you say what you are referring to. Is this the issue I pointed out in my review of the box set on this board?

The issue was previously discussed in some Hip-O or specific Getz-Hip-O thread... they included the live version of "Flamingo" (from the Shrine live album) instead of the studio version, which was included on "Stan Getz & The Cool Sounds".

To make up, they are offering an MP3 of the studio version on the website (still there, last time I looked).

The issue was previously discussed in some Hip-O or specific Getz-Hip-O thread... they included the live version of "Flamingo" (from the Shrine live album) instead of the studio version, which was included on "Stan Getz & The Cool Sounds".

To make up, they are offering an MP3 of the studio version on the website (still there, last time I looked).

Thanks Ubu,

I thought that was what Chuck was talking about. I had hoped that Hippo would do the right thing and get us replacement discs. WHat can I do with a stand-alone MP3?

• 2 months later...

My answer to that would be - they just don't care. Music doesn't matter to them and their customers don't matter to them. But I guess we know that already and your question was rhetorical.

I agree, that's appallingly bad behaviour of them. And why mp3 and not lossless? Fortunately there was a CD reissue of Stan Getz And The Cool Sounds at least.

My favorite Getz by a fair margin is In Sweden 1958-60 on Dragon Records. Here's the set list and the players:

Honeysuckle Rose - They Can't Take That Away From Me - Topsy - Celebrating (Janne's Blues) - Cabin In The Sky - Like Someone In Love - Speak Low - Stockholm Street - Bengt's Blues - Gold Rush - Celebrating - Stairway To The Stars - Jordu - Ah-Moore - Just You, Just Me - I Remember Clifford - Night In Tunisia - Just A Child - Lover Come Back To Me

Personel: Stan Getz tenor sax; Benny Bailey trumpet; Åke Persson trombone; Erik Norström or Bjarne Nerem tenor sax; Lars Gullin baritone sax; Jan Johansson or Bengt Hallberg or Bosse Söderman piano; Gunnar Johnson or Georg Riedel or Torbjörn Hultcrantz bass; William Schiöpffe or Joe Harris or Ed Thigpen or Sune Spångberg drums

Getz's solo on Stairway to the Stars is jaw dropping. The tone he teases from his tenor is other worldly...almost vaporous.

Saxophone playing at its very finest.

Here's a video of Getz performing I Remember Clifford recorded in Copenhagen:

Edited by Dave James

One Getz album I keep listening to and enjoying more each time is Dynasty with René Thomas, Eddy Louiss and Bernard Lubat!

51buXgFf5dL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Is that the original European cover?

That was the cover of the double CD that came out here on Polydor. It included 'I Remember Clifford', a bonus track that was not on the original double vinyl.

The double vinyl original on French Polydor/Verve had this cover (but without the Verve sign at top):

Stan-Getz-Dynasty-443369.jpg

Edited by brownie

The version with the original cover was reissued by Verve/Universal as part of the Verve Originals series, without the extra track included in the first cd reissue, in 2009:

http://www.amazon.co...33895343&sr=1-1

For Europeans the good place it get it for merely €6 (this is a double CD) is amazon.it: http://www.amazon.it/Dynasty-Stan-Getz/dp/B001NHZ2PW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333896809&sr=8-1

This is excellent release, indeed.

My favorite Getz at the moment is his live one from '75 "My Foolish Heart". I barely listen to jazz these days, but Getz is once of the few exceptions.

The version with the original cover was reissued by Verve/Universal as part of the Verve Originals series, without the extra track included in the first cd reissue, in 2009:

http://www.amazon.co...33895343&sr=1-1

For Europeans the good place it get it for merely €6 (this is a double CD) is amazon.it: http://www.amazon.it/Dynasty-Stan-Getz/dp/B001NHZ2PW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333896809&sr=8-1

This is excellent release, indeed.

My favorite Getz at the moment is his live one from '75 "My Foolish Heart". I barely listen to jazz these days, but Getz is once of the few exceptions.

As disc two of my old Polygram edition has quickly gotten holes (!) in it (there's just plastic there, you can see through on a few spots) after I'd bought it used in very good condition, I have a set from amazon.it on its way now... could rip (and can still play) the bonustrack, luckily!

It was the dreaded foam rubber btw, inserted in the back of the jumbo jewel case, that stuck to the disc and would hardly come off again, revealing said holes once it was peeled off (peel slowly and see... ha!)

The bossa albums are the best.

Beyond those, I like the two Eddie Sauter albums and the Michel Legrand album.

Any time spent listening to the others robs me of time I could spend with the above.

EDIT: I think he did one with Russ Garcia that I like, unless I'm mixed up.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• 1 year later...

This was new to me. Apology if it's been posted before -- and I know it's not an album but had to put it somewhere.

Stan in 1968 with Stanley Cowell, Miroslav Vitous and Jack DeJohnette accompanying a, um, French fashion show and trying not to laugh. So great on a zillion levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntvZfg4M9Do&list=UUR8J-RPLmQMEAkT78v1ymBA