Stan Getz - Your Favorite Albums

Guest bluenote82

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one hidden gem is the 2fer another world(with andy laverne), a columbia release from the late 70s where stan used the echoplex(on but 1 selection). i really enjoyed that selection and wish he had delved further with it.

Right. Forgot all about that one. Good group on there too.

Edited by fasstrack

one hidden gem is the 2fer another world(with andy laverne), a columbia release from the late 70s where stan used the echoplex(on but 1 selection). i really enjoyed that selection and wish he had delved further with it.

Right. Forgot all about that one. Good group on there too.

he shortly thereafter broke up that group and there was much discussion regarding his not caring for those musicians. as i recall stan tried to quash that talk.

I liked Stan's quote when he got sick of playing the modern stuff he was playing in the 70s," I'm through playing that "Chick Corea and his space monkeys" music..."

What is the source of this quote? I'm skeptical.

It was from a Down Beast magazine interview. I don't know the date, but I gave up on them back in the 70s, so it might have been in the 70s. I heard they used to be a pretty good jazz magazine... :w

I liked Stan's quote when he got sick of playing the modern stuff he was playing in the 70s," I'm through playing that "Chick Corea and his space monkeys" music..."

What is the source of this quote? I'm skeptical.

It was from a Down Beast magazine interview. I don't know the date, but I gave up on them back in the 70s, so it might have been in the 70s. I heard they used to be a pretty good jazz magazine... :w

Hmm. It's just not consistent with any language I've ever seen Stan use or consistent with the warm feelings he had always expressed for Chick. I did a quick search of the old interviews I remember in Down Beat with Stan -- Aug 76 and Jan 78 -- and nothing like that is in there. The character of the quote suggests it would had to come post-1980 or so when Stan ditched all the electronics. I couldn't put my hands on any Down Beat interview with him post-78 but there must be one -- I may not have the issue or maybe I missed in the quick sweep I did. Sorry to be distrustful, but it doesn't ring true. I got trained by Larry Gushee at the University of Illinois -- I want to see the document.

Edited by Mark Stryker

• 4 weeks later...

Not to get off topic, but "Mickey One" was on TCM last night and I taped it. Really looking forward to watching; I've had the LP for decades but the film has been very hard to find, in my experience at least.

I watched the opening credits, and the host described it as the closest thing to an American French New Wave film that she has seen.

the cd version of the mickey one film soundtrack is one of the most sensitive and seemingly schizoid collections ever. it was recorded only days after getz' fathers death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jrRUg4pvQns

I loved that movie!!! Does anyone know who the guitar player was in the club scenes?

TIA

I don't recognize him, but he can be seen at 2:40 elapsed, here:

I taped Mickey One also and just saw it. The sound was better on my computer than it was on TV.

Getz sounds great, and ES' score is fine, also.

The film has been compared to Godard, Fellini, Kafka, and even interpreted as JFK assassination paranoia (Ruby, Lapland).

It was shot by Godard's cinematographer, so it's so striking visually, that I remember most of its grotesque images.

What it all means is wide open to interpretation... :w

The film has been compared to Godard, Fellini, Kafka, and even interpreted as JFK assassination paranoia (Ruby, Lapland).

It was shot by Godard's cinematographer, so it's so striking visually, that I remember most of its grotesque images.

Godard's cinematographer was Raoul Coutard. He was not involved with Mickey One.

Cinematographer on that film was Ghislain Cloquet who often worked with Louis Malle (and Robert Bresson and others).

Malle's companion Alexandra Stewart appeared in the film.

Godard's cinematographer was Raoul Coutard. He was not involved with Mickey One.

Cinematographer on that film was Ghislain Cloquet who often worked with Louis Malle (and Robert Bresson and others).

Malle's companion Alexandra Stewart appeared in the film.

You're right- the review I read mentioned Bresson, not Godard.

• 5 months later...

I've been on a pretty big Stan Getz bender over the last few weeks; i came across this thread and have enjoyed referring back to it to 'compare notes' a few times over the course of my bender.

Prior to my bender i only had a handful of Getz albums. Captain Marvel was one of the first jazz albums i really dug when i started really getting in to jazz around 2005/2006 and is still a firm favourite. After that i got Sweet Rain which i also dug to a slightly lesser extent, then over the years i picked up Focus, Getz/Gilberto and The Cool Sounds which i thought were good albums but got few spins and didn't really inspire me to dig further; i pretty much thought that would be enough Getz for me. I was keen to hear the stuff with Gary Burton but about a year ago picked up Getz Au Go Go and was very underwhelmed (i've since learned that Nobody Else But Me is a different kettle of fish and is still on my wish list).

The thing that sparked my current bender was receiving a copy of the Kind Of Getz 10 CD box set, put out by House of Jazz, as a birthday present from a friend. It's one of those much maligned PD sets. My friend didn't know any better and i had no desire to be anything but thankful for the gift. It covers the years 1946-1957. The music was a revelation to me; i particularly love the stuff with Bob Brookmeyer and the S. Gold/J. Smith/E. Safranski/D. Lamond group from 1952 but as they say "it's all good." I really don't want to turn this in to a discussion about PD sets but i wanted to be straight up in noting that this is how i came to hear all this stuff and i'm so, so glad that i got to hear it. The music is wonderful, the sound quality is fine but i may look at reacquiring this stuff in more legit forms in the future. Moving on...

I ended up getting the Complete Columbia set. I have a soft spot for fusion and oddities but there's also plenty of straight ahead stuff in this set to dig. With regards to that "Chick Corea and his space monkeys" quote, i'm pretty sure Getz is referring to fusion of the time in general as opposed to specifically dismissing the albums that he recorded with Chick in the past. Having said that, in the liner notes of either Another World or Children of the World he waxes pretty enthusiastically about the music and the players he's chosen to work with, so i guess he says a lot of things and is free to change his mind. Anyway, outside of Captain Marvel i don't think any of this stuff is favourite Getz for me but as a package on the whole i dig it. It's definitely a period that i'm happy to have represented in my Getz collection.

Eighties wise I picked up Pure Getz, My Old Flame (The Dolphin/Spring Is Here twofer) and Voyage. I really dig all this stuff a lot. I also ordered and have yet to receive Cafe Montmarte, which is a compilation of tracks from Anniversary, Serenity and People Time. I know that those three albums on their own are very, very highly regarded but funds are limited and try as i might i just couldn't get excited about picking up the individual albums for some reason. The compilation was a perfect compromise for me although i may live to regret it. As highly regarded as Anniversary, Serenity and People Time are there's just something lacking to my ears that i get from Voyage and the earlier eighties albums (slightly more dreary/less vital?). I know this goes against conventional wisdom and i'm prepared to regret not having picked up the full lengths at some point.

I also ordered Dynasty but am still waiting for that to arrive.

Early to mid sixties Bossa Nova wise i picked up one of those 'Verve Jazz Masters' compilations. I like the Bossa Nova stuff but just not enough to invest too heavily in it at this stage.

So anyway, with regards to Getz my horizons have been hugely broadened recently. Considering how excellent his eighties stuff was it seems particularly sad that Getz was a relatively young 64 when he passed away.

• 1 year later...

This was new to me. Apology if it's been posted before -- and I know it's not an album but had to put it somewhere.

Stan in 1968 with Stanley Cowell, Miroslav Vitous and Jack DeJohnette accompanying a, um, French fashion show and trying not to laugh. So great on a zillion levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntvZfg4M9Do&list=UUR8J-RPLmQMEAkT78v1ymBA

This is a trip, in so many ways. So are the early Datsun owner's manual not quite translated into English of the Live At Montreaux with Tony, Check & Stan Calrk that I watched after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7oo8EopEJ0

Edited by danasgoodstuff

Yes, up until now I have never been able to resolve my disdain for the whole "environment" of fashion and my ongoing delight with the results that emanate from that environment. Thank you, Stan Getz, both musically and visually for splitting that difference in way that I can perfectly understand, although to be honest, Jack's tie would have done it by itself.

No matter, that, dear friends, was a GIG, just like playing for strippers, or at least a lot more like than not like.

I see that Beverly Getz was the poster of that video. Thank you m'aam, sincerely.

I probably listen to Capt Marvel more than any other Getz, and agree with Jsngry about the benefits of tracking down the later CD version (it's the one with an outtake and two alternates as bonuses). BUT I'd like to put in a word for the overlooked Getz/Bonfa album, it's more Brazilian than Jazz Samba and I prefer Maria's singing to Astrud's. And they don't do either of Bonfa's best known tunes Also not mentioned is his work with Chet Baker - not a big fav but he does do that simultaneous improv/spontaneous counterpoint thing well, having tried and failed miserable - two good bars then instant trainwreck - I'm always impressed by that.

I probably listen to Capt Marvel more than any other Getz, and agree with Jsngry about the benefits of tracking down the later CD version (it's the one with an outtake and two alternates as bonuses). BUT I'd like to put in a word for the overlooked Getz/Bonfa album, it's more Brazilian than Jazz Samba and I prefer Maria's singing to Astrud's. And they don't do either of Bonfa's best known tunes Also not mentioned is his work with Chet Baker - not a big fav but he does do that simultaneous improv/spontaneous counterpoint thing well, having tried and failed miserable - two good bars then instant trainwreck - I'm always impressed by that.

Faorgot - I don't have a lot of late Getz but I love that video of him standing in the audience playing Boold Count a a trib to someone else, or have I conflated two different clips?

• 9 months later...

I enjoy Getz and I have quite a few of his records. It was fun scrolling through this old thread and seeing everyone's favorites.

If I were forced to pick ONE Getz record, I'd probably go with Blue Skies. 

51dPEgqBxuL._SS280.jpg

with Jim McNeely, Marc Johnson, and Billy Hart

This is Getz at his most concentrated and intense. I'm sorta surprised that more folks haven't mentioned it! 

Some of my other Getz favorites (in no particular order):
- Sweet Rain
- Recorded Fall 1961 (w/ Bob Brookmeyer)
- People Time
- Voyage
- Captain Marvel
- Dynasty
- Communication '72

Communication '72 was Getz's collaboration with Michel Legrand and the (uncredited) Swingle Singers. It's a strange record, a stylistic hodge-podge, downright odd at times. But, somehow, for me, it works. I think it's compelling, beautiful music. Obviously, it's not one for the purists, but I'm really fond of it. I even love the cover, which features a painting by Raymond Moretti.

Stan+Getz+Communications+72+443087.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

I'm coming to this discussion late, so maybe it''s been discussed already--but I find Billy Highstreet Samba highly underrated.  I recall this one sat in the can for quite some time...for no apparent reason.  Getz worked with some fusion guys like Chuck Loeb, quite some time after the electric period with Chick. Anyway, it's a first-rate record all the way through.     

Edited by Milestones