Need some Columbia Monk

Big Al

Which Columbia Monk re-issues should I start with?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Borders has the most recent reissues on sale for $7.99, and they may even have them all on sale for that price. But for me, a little Monk can go a long way. I specifically did NOT include Criss Cross cuz I'm gonna get that one anyway. I'm leaning towards Solo Monk because I like the London Collection solo pieces. But I haven't heard any of the others (except CC) and the only Columbia Monk I have is Live at the It Club.

I wish there was a way to choose three titles on the list (cuz I've got enough for four, including CC). But I'll just take the top three vote-getters and go from there.

Thanks, as always!

I have not yet gotten all of them, but hell!, they're a very nice bunch of albums! I got the 3CD box (thinking along the well-known lines that the Columbia years were sort of uninteresting, nothing new etc etc) and fell in love with that stuff. Have the live ones (all of them), and started on the studio stuff. Got "Monk's Dream", "Straight No Chaser", and the 2CD Solo set (which, by the way, includes "Solo Monk").

I will sure get more of them as soon as I can afford (and have time to listen).

"Monk's Dream", for one, is a tremendous disc (though I prefer the take of "Bye-Ya" that starts the box - and that, strangely (keepnews-y?) is not on the reissue of "Monk's Dream" in the same form).

ubu

Majority of votes for all the titles.... fat lotta help y'all are! :g:g:g

But I kinda expected it. I imagine at some point I'll get 'em all; right now I just wanna take 'em a little at a time, digest 'em all slowly, y'know? I like the idea of getting 'em chronologically.

Seriously, thanks for the recs. You guys are always a great help! :tup

I took a stand and voted for a single title: *Straight, No Chaser.* (The question *did* ask where to start--presumably you'll get them all someday.)

*Chaser* has a lot of tunes that don't appear on the Riverside or Blue Note releases and, for that alone, it's essential to pick up. I also love Charlie Rouse's playing on this session. Second place goes to *It's Monk's Time*--for all the same reasons.

john

Solo Monk is a wonderful fanstastic album. Even if you're not crazy about Monk or solo albums in general, you will after this as you hear him weave through the material. While I like these reissues, why not try Live at the It Club. That's pretty fantastic. I agree that Monk is not somebody you can always listen to in lengthy doses but I love to listen to some of his material every couple of weeks.

Especially at $6.99/$7.99 a disc, skip out on a couple of lunches and grab them all.

J&R Music in NYC has all Columbia "Nice Price" CDs on sale for $6.99/disc until October/November which includes the Monk reissues. I don't know if this sale applies to on-line sales though.

Yeah, start with Monk' Dream, that will get you hooked. Right now it's nearly possible to buy them in the order they were recorded. But a priority should the the 2 CDs from Linclon Center, Big Band and Quartet in Concert, a high point in Monk's career, is this still in print?

I looked it up, it is, and even AMG's Scott Yanow considers it essential: GET IT!!!

d12369860dl.jpg

I agree, Monk's Big Band and Quartet is one of the best things of his on Columbia. Didn't Hal Overton also do new arrangements for a couple of Monk big band concerts in the late '60s/early '70s? (And were the recorded?) I'm also wuite fond of the octet tour of Europe, kinda the best of both worlds (big band and small, I think 'mid-sized' bands are generally v. overlooked/underated but that's a rant for another day...).

Yeah, start with Monk' Dream, that will get you hooked. Right now it's nearly possible to buy them in the order they were recorded. But a priority should the the 2 CDs from Linclon Center, Big Band and Quartet in Concert, a high point in Monk's career, is this still in print?

I looked it up, it is, and even AMG's Scott Yanow considers it essential: GET IT!!!

d12369860dl.jpg

Anyone knows if this is coming out soon in a new (restored/remastered) version?

I always kept my hand off of it in hope of a new reissue.

ubu

we may be in for yet another treat.

Let's hope so!

Some of it was on the box, but the box covered nearly everything Monk did in his Columbia years. It's a real nice box, in my opinion, even if you have all the single reissues.

Generally, I love the Legacy reissues of the Monk material very much (even though I'm far from having all of them yet).

ubu

I agree, Monk's Big Band and Quartet is one of the best things of his on Columbia.  Didn't Hal Overton also do new arrangements for a couple of Monk big band concerts in the late '60s/early '70s?  (And were the recorded?)  I'm also quite fond of the octet tour of Europe, kinda the best of both worlds (big band and small, I think 'mid-sized' bands are generally v. overlooked/underated but that's a rant for another day...).

Hal Overton had done the arrangements for the 1959 Riverside album "At Town Hall" (now on OJC CD-135-2). The octet used his arrangements in a scaled-down version as well, AFAIK. But other than that Riverside, the Columbia, and the concert bootlegs from Europe there are no recordings of this. The last Monk big band LP for Columbia was arranged by Oliver Nelson with less than great results.

f60190z0108.jpg

While searching the pic I came across this one, which seems worth checking out:

f99309kh0af.jpg

Lydian Sound Orchestra - Monk at Town Hall & More

2003 - CD Abeat ABJZ 013

From AMG:

"It is ironic that it took an Italian arranger by the name of Riccardo Brazzale, using a top-flight Italian jazz orchestra, to produce such a fine big-band tribute to American composer Thelonious Monk. Occasionally others, of course, such as T.S. Monk, have successfully engaged in big-band tributes, but this one, Monk at Town Hall & More, is distinguished by its use of transcriptions from Hall Overton's arrangements from the classic 1959 Town Hall concert that were reinterpreted by Brazzale. The tentet organized by Brazzale includes some of Italy's best musicians, with Pietro Tonolo on soprano sax and Roberto Rossi on trombone, while trumpeter Kyle Gregory adds some tasty solos on trumpet. In addition to tunes by Thelonious Monk, the band adds a loving version of "Abide With Me" (featuring Tonolo, who unfortunately suffers from slight problems with intonation), and a short piece by Brazzale entitled "Additional C. Q. Six." Highlights include some impressive soloing by pianist Paolo Birro, who plays the Monk role smartly by not aping him; and a lyrical Rossi, who is heard on several tracks to good advantage. Although the new arrangements are an exciting concept, Brazzale is somewhat too respectful; he might have opted occasionally to pursue different avenues while remaining true to Monk's spirit. While the results are almost always of superior quality and many of the solos are first-rate, the talented Brazzale takes his cue directly from the 1959 set, resulting in uniformly high standards but lacking on occasion the high-spirited sense of wonder that infused Monk's music. - Steven Loewy"

Edited by mikeweil

While searching the pic I came across this one, which seems worth checking out:

f99309kh0af.jpg

Lydian Sound Orchestra - Monk at Town Hall & More

2003 - CD Abeat ABJZ 013

From AMG:

"It is ironic that it took an Italian arranger by the name of Riccardo Brazzale, using a top-flight Italian jazz orchestra, to produce such a fine big-band tribute to American composer Thelonious Monk. Occasionally others, of course, such as T.S. Monk, have successfully engaged in big-band tributes, but this one, Monk at Town Hall & More, is distinguished by its use of transcriptions from Hall Overton's arrangements from the classic 1959 Town Hall concert that were reinterpreted by Brazzale. The tentet organized by Brazzale includes some of Italy's best musicians, with Pietro Tonolo on soprano sax and Roberto Rossi on trombone, while trumpeter Kyle Gregory adds some tasty solos on trumpet. In addition to tunes by Thelonious Monk, the band adds a loving version of "Abide With Me" (featuring Tonolo, who unfortunately suffers from slight problems with intonation), and a short piece by Brazzale entitled "Additional C. Q. Six." Highlights include some impressive soloing by pianist Paolo Birro, who plays the Monk role smartly by not aping him; and a lyrical Rossi, who is heard on several tracks to good advantage. Although the new arrangements are an exciting concept, Brazzale is somewhat too respectful; he might have opted occasionally to pursue different avenues while remaining true to Monk's spirit. While the results are almost always of superior quality and many of the solos are first-rate, the talented Brazzale takes his cue directly from the 1959 set, resulting in uniformly high standards but lacking on occasion the high-spirited sense of wonder that infused Monk's music. - Steven Loewy"

This one seems to be very good! I read an enthusiastic review recently in a swiss newspaper (written by one of the very few really good swiss jazz critics).

ubu

Voted for "MONK," because I think it is an underappreciated album, and not at all deserving of its relative obscurity. But "Monk's Dream" and "It's Monk's Time" are simply first-rate.

The 2CD Solo Monk set is a must-have also. I like alternating listens of that with "Thelonious Alone in San Francisco" to see the difference in his playing.