Verve Reissues, 2008

montg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any opinion of the Desmond?

I think that was an A&M, wasn't it? I don't recall ever reading much good about any of his A&Ms.

I don't particularly care for it. It's just as schmaltzy as you might imagine, and the songs themselves don't really lend themselves well to jazz interpretation. Desmond, especially and surprisingly, sounds rather uninspired.

Now if you want a good Desmond title on A&M, seek out From the Hot Afternoon. Now there's a beauty of an album!

JOS?

I wonder if they'll add extra material...that is a very short album in it's original form.

My guess is they won't. I haven't got this on LP, so I'll certainly buy it. It was originally on the Metro label, which was a cheapo series. JOS did three live gigs that were put out on Metro; Berlin and Paris were the others. You'd say, what kind of business plan, in the sixties, was putting JOS out on budget labels? That's not a rhetorical question - those were very different from the material he was recording in the studios with Oliver Nelson arrangements and so on. MGM/Verve was spending real money on those so these, you can bet, had as little money spent as possible. I reckon that will translate through into no other tracks around.

The Paris material DOES have lots of extra tracks - the 2 CD set from the Salle Pleyel is over two hours long. But it really doesn't sound like the Berlin job - or like Verve at all. If I had to stick my neck out, I'd say that the continental Salle Pleyel CDs were recorded by someone else at the same time as the Verve material - is that possible?

MG

Take this with a grain of salt perhaps (or perhaps not) because I'm not a big Oscar Peterson fan, but the "Plays Count Basie" album is really nice. Among other things, when Buddy Rich was doing neo-Jo Jones, he was not only damn good at it but also seemingly pleased as hell to be doing it. You can almost see him grinning. Same groove on Rich's nice mini-big band Granz album from about this time with Marty Paich charts, "This One's For Basie."

Take this with a grain of salt perhaps (or perhaps not) because I'm not a big Oscar Peterson fan, but the "Plays Count Basie" album is really nice. Among other things, when Buddy Rich was doing neo-Jo Jones, he was not only damn good at it but also seemingly pleased as hell to be doing it. You can almost see him grinning. Same groove on Rich's nice mini-big band Granz album from about this time with Marty Paich charts, "This One's For Basie."

These are great albums. On "Plays Count Basie" Peterson is superb in emulgating Basie's conception of piano playing, and his interplay with Rich is a joy to listen to. "This One's For Basie" benefits from the great arrangements of Marty Paich as well as from the presence of topnotch soloists (Edison, Rosolino, Cooper, Rowles).

That one's excellent and long overdue - but no bonus tracks! <_<

This was in the LPR series...; I've got it.

Or am I mistaken?

I believe you're mistaken. The only Burrell album in the LPR series was his Christmas album.

EDIT: Shawn (and his lovely avatar :wub:, whoever it is!) beat me to it.

Edited by Big Al

Take this with a grain of salt perhaps (or perhaps not) because I'm not a big Oscar Peterson fan, but the "Plays Count Basie" album is really nice. Among other things, when Buddy Rich was doing neo-Jo Jones, he was not only damn good at it but also seemingly pleased as hell to be doing it. You can almost see him grinning.

I'm glad you posted this. I forgot that I PM'd you about this album a few months ago. Now I really can't wait to hear this!

Could you update these links through the Organissimo search box so Jim and the guys get their little cut?

The Getz has him teamed up with Mulligan and Sweets, so if you don't mind OP in the piano chair, I heartily recommend it.

That one's excellent and long overdue - but no bonus tracks! <_<

This was in the LPR series...; I've got it.

Or am I mistaken?

I believe you're mistaken. The only Burrell album in the LPR series was his Christmas album.

EDIT: Shawn (and his lovely avatar :wub:, whoever it is!) beat me to it.

Yes - I have the "Night at the Vanguard" on a Japanese mini-lp issue. The sleeve note in Japanese is dated 1997. No bonus cuts on that edition.

MG

So was there an earlier edition of the Burrell disc with bonus tracks or are

we talking about "potential" bonus tracks that might or might not be releasable?

yes, there was an old Chess reissue (jewel case edition) that had a few bonus tracks. I believe it was in that Chessmates series.

So was there an earlier edition of the Burrell disc with bonus tracks or are

we talking about "potential" bonus tracks that might or might not be releasable?

There was a CD from circa 1990 that had two bonus tracks. I have a fairly recent Japanese reissue (UCCU-5165) which also has those two bonus tracks. And the CD Universe listing also has two bonus tracks (could be in error from the previous CD reissue, I suppose). The original Argo album had 8 tracks, while these CDs had 10.

However, Lord lists a total of 17 tracks of which 4 are unissued, so a complete edition would be the definitive way to do it. Not that Verve in 2008 will.