Verve Reissues, 2008

montg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that they're releasing some CTI-related titles (the Washington & the Benson). Wonder how they got the rights to those?

Motown got the Washington KUDU albums when he signed with them. The Benson was an A&M/CTI album. Motown and A&M are all part of the same family as Verve now.

Did not know that. Thanks! :tup

Take this with a grain of salt perhaps (or perhaps not) because I'm not a big Oscar Peterson fan, but the "Plays Count Basie" album is really nice. Among other things, when Buddy Rich was doing neo-Jo Jones, he was not only damn good at it but also seemingly pleased as hell to be doing it. You can almost see him grinning. Same groove on Rich's nice mini-big band Granz album from about this time with Marty Paich charts, "This One's For Basie."

Well, I hope it gets better than the opener, "Lester Leaps In." This breakneck-speed play-as-many-notes-as-possible style seems to be the antithesis of everything the Count and the Prez played.

• 3 weeks later...

Take this with a grain of salt perhaps (or perhaps not) because I'm not a big Oscar Peterson fan, but the "Plays Count Basie" album is really nice. Among other things, when Buddy Rich was doing neo-Jo Jones, he was not only damn good at it but also seemingly pleased as hell to be doing it. You can almost see him grinning. Same groove on Rich's nice mini-big band Granz album from about this time with Marty Paich charts, "This One's For Basie."

Well, I hope it gets better than the opener, "Lester Leaps In." This breakneck-speed play-as-many-notes-as-possible style seems to be the antithesis of everything the Count and the Prez played.

Well, the CD does get better. MUCH better, in fact! It definitely rewards repeated listenings!

Never thought I'd see Quincy Jones' Slender Thread reissued on CD! Thanks, Verve, for making this available!

Just picked up "The Distant Galaxy" by Don Sebesky. Great remastering!

:tup

:huh:

I just checked CD Universe, Allmusic, and Rhapsody for these. Where did you find them?