Teo Macero 1925-2008

brownie

A great obscure album he is involved with is Jack Ackerman's soundtrack to the Cassavetes film "Faces." IIRC, I think Macero plays on the album and maybe did some arrangements.

BTW great movie, it might seems a bit dated today, only because you're used to that camera's work and editing style. Lot of believers and followers, but only ONE John Cassavetes.

Very impressive film, even to me who only caught it on TV once (in original version luckily, with subtitles). Wasn't aware Macero was involved!

• 11 years later...
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2008 at 2:27 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

A great obscure album he is involved with is Jack Ackerman's soundtrack to the Cassavetes film "Faces." IIRC, I think Macero plays on the album and maybe did some arrangements.

I found this for $2.00 yesterday!

Faces_poster2.jpg

R-3052496-1315539145.jpeg.jpg

Teo kept himself busy, eh?

http://www.furious.com/perfect/cassavetes-faces.html

This is a timely reappearance.

I got the "In A Silent Way" LP when it first came out, and it's a firm favorite of mine.

When Michael Cuscuna (and others?) put out the 3-CD set, I was amazed to hear the original footage of what became "Shhh, Peaceful". What Teo did with it is genius. The original has a repeated theme that doesn't appear on the issued album.

I was given the "Bitches' Brew" 2-LP set to review when it first appeared. I have never liked that much. Not then, or now. For me, it is nowhere near the class of "In A Silent Way". I also found the 4-CD set of "Bitches' Brew" boring: strictly play once and shelve. Same for the previously unissued material in the "Silent Way" 3-CD set

But Teo's work on the "In A Silent Way" LP is outstanding.

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

I found this for $2.00 yesterday!

Faces_poster2.jpg

R-3052496-1315539145.jpeg.jpg

Teo kept himself busy, eh?

http://www.furious.com/perfect/cassavetes-faces.html

It's a gem!  The version of "Deck the Halls" on here showed up later on the reissue of Jingle Bell Jazz!

9 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

I was given the "Bitches' Brew" 2-LP set to review when it first appeared. I have never liked that much. Not then, or now. For me, it is nowhere near the class of "In A Silent Way"...But Teo's work on the "In A Silent Way" LP is outstanding.

While I don't dislike Bitches Brew as much as you, I completely agree that it is nowhere close to In A Silent Way.  And I agree, that box set is not only a revelation, but the various tracks work as a great standalone listen outside the context of the released album. 

11 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

I got the "In A Silent Way" LP when it first came out, and it's a firm favorite of mine.

When Michael Cuscuna (and others?) put out the 3-CD set, I was amazed to hear the original footage of what became "Shhh, Peaceful". What Teo did with it is genius. The original has a repeated theme that doesn't appear on the issued album.

Do you mean "It's About That Time"?  IIRC that's the one with an unused theme.  And Teo takes another phrase and makes it the theme which is the version Miles then begins playing live.