Suggest Me Some Brazil

Teasing the Korean

Anyone cast an eye (or ear) on this yet?

bf992.jpg

http://www.biscoitofino.com.br/bf/cat_produto_cada.php?id=611

Dusty Groove finally got a few copies in so I have one on the way to me.

Report back please, Lon, when you get it. Seems yet to have to have made it this far.

This is a fun cd. Smoother than the two solo releases by Paula which I ADORE, I like this one better than the previous release with the big band, but less than those two "bossa fusion" solo releases. Still, anyone who is a fan of Paula's will want to hear this one.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only listened to the first disc so far but this is very nice:

514Nd6kVtQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A series of duets with people like: Joao Donato, Monica Salmaso, Teco Cardoso, Joyce Moreno, Paula Morelenbaum, Paquito D'Rivera, Bill Frisell, Mike Marshall, David Sanchez, Mike Marshall, Anat Cohen, Joe Locke and Airto Moreira. And others.

One disc recorded in USA, one in Brazil.

Bev, can't read that cover. What's the title, artist? Thanks.

Jovino Santos Neto - Veja O Som (See The Sound)

This is an astonishingly good two cd set. Really enjoying it.

Didn't see this one mentioned but I didn't check every post to be honest.

Entre Amigos by Rosa Passos & Ron Carter on the Chesky label. It's mostly guitar/bass/drums with a little sax and flute. Except for Carter and the reed player Billy Drewes, the musicians are Brazilian so it's very authentic sounding. Passos has a beautiful voice, Ron Carter is superb throughout and the recording reminds me of Joao Gilberto circa 1959. Released in 2003, I just became aware of it while reading the bio on Carter.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a starting point for Chico Buarque...? I know they have some albums together as well. I heard some stuff recently that was just gorgeous but don't know where to dive in.

Thanks.

I'd say there are two essential Chico Buarque albums to start with, though there are many more good ones. Construcao, which is one of his most adventurous, and Meus Caros Amigos, which has a number of his best known songs, great melodies (but unfortunately is hard to find). Also check out the Lumiar songbooks for lots of great singers doing his material.

I'm not as big on Lobo, so no suggestions, though Chico & he did several projects together.

41KVJE7R1AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Well, just realized that I was responding to a 4-year-old query.

Has Alaide Costa been mentioned? I put her in the same class as Billie Holiday, Edith Piaf, Amalia Rodrigues & Cesaria Evora, if you know what I mean...

Edited by Pete C

Anything new?

(Am just downloading 'Publico' to try Adriana Calcanhotto out).

I think that's the best choice. Some beautiful songs.

I've been a voracious listener of Brazilian music for 30 years, and am studying Portuguese in preparation for a November trip to Brazil.

In the last 8 years I've been getting a lot into the post-Ben funk from some of the Trama Records artists, and artists in the same circle, like Wilson Simoninha, Max de Castro, Paula Lima, Toni Garrido. And Seu Jorge is probably one of the hottest guys in Brazil and internationally these days. I also love Maria Rita's albums--she's doing a Mother's Day free concert in Rio of her mother's (Elis Regina) repertoire.

I think a lot of the Brazilian funk artists as well as singers like Joyce show up at the Jazz Cafe in London from time to time.

Anybody in the UK should know about this year's Back2Black festival:

http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?ID=13328

Thanks, Pete.

I was listening to this recent live Chico Buarque only yesterday; very good indeed:

41xCOPH4hLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Apart from that, all I have is a compilation. I think I'll go for those two you mention.

Saw Joyce a few years back in London, more or less acting as compère (as well as lots of playing) in a big bossa nova anniversary celebration. THat Barbican weedend looks like one of those jamborees. If I lived closer to London....

Joyce's most recent is excellent - just voice and guitar.

Chico Buarque rarely performs, especially since he became a novelist too, and I don't remember him ever coming to NYC since I was aware of him. But I was lucky to catch him in London, at the Albert Hall in 1999. He was part of a big benefit show for Brazilian street kids that featured Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, Chico, Gal Costa, Elza Soares and Virginia Rodrigues, along with 2 London-based samba groups and Georgie Fame! And the night before I saw John Hurt do Krapp's Last Tape.

Amazingly, this Telegraph review of the concert doesn't even mention Chico:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/4718941/Sultry-and-satisfying.html

Bev/Lark,

Agreed on Joyce's latest. It comes from a TV project she did, on sambas and the history of Rio. There should be some Youtube clips available - I know there were some months back, before the series ran in Brazil.

She knows a ton of older sambas and often weaves them into other songs in her live shows. Her album Passarinho Urbano has lots of them, although the actual recordings are extremely brief. Definitely a great album, though.

As for my favorite (relatively) recent album...

clip_image0011-300x266.jpg

The typography is a bit odd... title is "Alma lírica brasileira." (My favorite out of her last 4, by far.)

Edited by seeline

Bev/Lark,

Agreed on Joyce's latest. It comes from a TV project she did, on sambas and the history of Rio. There should be some Youtube clips available - I know there were some months back, before the series ran in Brazil.

She knows a ton of older sambas and often weaves them into other songs in her live shows. Her album Passarinho Urbano has lots of them, although the actual recordings are extremely brief. Definitely a great album, though.

The typography is a bit odd... title is "Alma lírica brasileira." (My favorite out of her last 4, by far.)

That's a great record. In fact, Monica Salmaso's recordings just about pinpoint what I like most in the music of Brazil. Along with her musicians, she manages to get the lyricism and the rhythmic flux nigh on perfect.

Bev/Lark,

That's a great record. In fact, Monica Salmaso's recordings just about pinpoint what I like most in the music of Brazil. Along with her musicians, she manages to get the lyricism and the rhythmic flux nigh on perfect.

She's a very gifted percussionist - has a great feeling for rhythm and great technique, too.

Agreed on her song choices as well. This album is especially beautiful, what with the stripped-down instrumentation and the songs she picked.

Edited by seeline

If just been playing this, Seeline:

61TJwWjY93L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Includes Monica on a couple of tracks and Teco Cardoso in places. Quite different from the above - for a large orchestra. In places gets a bit smooth, the melodies stated a bit obviously in the big band but overall a lovely disc. Perhaps misses on the strange mysteriousness of the Afro-Samba original, but I really enjoyed it this evening.

You know that Mônica's 1st album was a recording of the AfroSambas with Paulo Bellinati on guitar, right?

It was released on GSP (gspguitar.com) here, though - I think - recently issued on her current label (Biscoito Fino) as well.

There are a couple of solo guitar pieces by Paulo as well.

Edited by seeline

Well, lots of people have been performing songs from the Afro Sambas album for years... it's just a different take on them, more suite-like.

She and Bellinatti still tour on this from time to time. I would love to hear them together.

Edited by seeline

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Not strictly "Brazil", but certainly relevant to this thread, I want to recommend this recent recording by my friend Joe Carter (who used to post here on occasion). The track list includes great standards from Brazil and the world of jazz, but my favorite track on the disc is Joe's composition "Viktor with a K". Joe's guitar work is supported by David Finck on bass, and Ze Mauricio on percussion. Outstanding CD.

1357123279_joe-carter-both-sides-of-the-