Suggest Me Some Brazil

Teasing the Korean

I Have a store credit at DustyGroove and want to catch up on some CD reissues of Brazilian stuff. Looking more for classic 60s bossa and MPB stuff rather than tropicalia, although the funked out 70s incarnation of MPB is cool too. Especially want things from the Elenco, Forma, Philips and Odeon labels, but not limited to that. Comps or full albums are fine. I have lots of the obvious stuff but of course there are holes in the collection.

Hoping Seeline will chime in, although she'll probably recommend more titles than my store credit will buy!

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to help, but I think you might need to tell us (me) a bit about what you already have, no? ;) Seriously - the categories you're mentioning are very broad.

and more than likely, Jim R (who posts on the Loronix board, as well as other places) would be far better for bossa nova recs than me. It's his focus, and he knows the music and musicians far better than me.

Thanks for the link! Great recs there, though most of them are very hard to find...

The board at http://loronix.blogspot.com is probably one of the single best places to find out about sources and recordings - and a lot of the conversation is in English, too. :) Joe Carter and Jim R. can be found there.

Edited by seeline

I'd like to help, but I think you might need to tell us (me) a bit about what you already have, no? ;)

Probably a lot less than you do, but more than your average American who watches ESPN and American Idol.

Off the top of my head, I have the usual 60s stuff by Edu Lobo, Milton, Maria, Marcos Valle, Menescal, Tamba Trio and Four, Milton Banana, Elis Regina, Quarteto Em Cy, Nara Leao, Mendes, Gilbertos, Jobim, Carlos Lyra, Vinicius, Baden Powel, Jorge Ben. Not their complete discographies of course but certain albums. Also have a few artists whose names escape me who had stuff issued in the US on Atco or Audio Fidelity.

My Bro in law has that Jorge Ben Dusty reissue that was mentioned, and that's a gem.

Love the Blue Brazil collections of stuff from the Odeon label.

Don't worry too much about what I have or don't have. I'd just like to know if anyone's been bowled over by any recent reissues or comps of any 60s Brasilian stuff along the lines of what I mentioned.

I'd just like to know if anyone's been bowled over by any recent reissues or comps of any 60s Brasilian stuff along the lines of what I mentioned.

I bought three from this series available from DG last year:

zztriptobrazilvol140y_101b.jpg

...as a way of finding my bearings. A mixture of the very well known and rare tracks, the cheesy and the sublime. The three I have are 2CDs - I think there are 5 volumes in all, one of football songs! I think they're German issues.

This one has been played a lot too:

zzbossanovathesoundof_101b.jpg

...though it seems to be out of stock. Related to the Ruy Castro book, one of my most enjoyable reads of 2007.

Best to check what you have for overlaps.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Go out and buy that Joyce & Tutty CD, young man! ;)

Edited to add: TTK, you have much more in the way of releases from that general style/time period than I do. I've concentrated more on choro, samba, some regional music (mostly from up in northeastern Brazil) and MPB, overall.

Edited by seeline

I need to get hip to Joyce. The only tune I know is the famous "ba-da-ba-BAYA-ba-da DAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..." That's on one of the Blue Brazils. I remember first playing it and loving it, and then being blown away that it was from the 1980s, that most dreaded of decades.

Joyce is amazing - fine composer, lyricist, arranger, guitarist, singer... DG tries to keep all of her in-print releases in stock, though that's not easy. (I did get burned once there, with some supposed reissues of some of her rarer material that turned out to be pirated; taken straight from vinyl.)

One of my favorites that's o.p. is Ilha Brasil -

Ilha_Brasil-thumb.jpg

Feminina (1980) is also great -

Folder.jpg

Two of her best from recent years (also at DG) -

joyce~~~~~~_gafieiram_101b.jpg

joyce~~~~~~_justalitt_101b.jpg

Edited to add: I'm not sure which song you're referring to, as I've got several here that open with scatting... She's good at it :)

Edited by seeline

Seeline's Joyce recommendations are spot on! She tipped me the wink a couple of years back and I've become quite the obsessive!

Quite a few of her more recent records are available at e-music.

Incidentally, buy this:

41CW03KK0ML._AA240_.jpg

Possibly the best record I bought last year! It's a re-recording of songs he'd put down earlier. I've not heard that earlier record - but this one is heart-stopping.

Oh, and get Seeline to tell you about Monica Salmaso!

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Incidentally, buy this:

41CW03KK0ML._AA240_.jpg

Possibly the best record I bought last year! It's a re-recording of songs he'd put down earlier. I've not heard that earlier record - but this one is heart-stopping.

I have the original, which is probably one of the greatest Brasilian albums ever. I've never heard the re-record; it would be interesting to compare.

Incidentally, buy this:

41CW03KK0ML._AA240_.jpg

I have the original, which is probably one of the greatest Brasilian albums ever. I've never heard the re-record; it would be interesting to compare.

I have both versions and love them both. I can't really say one is better than the the other, only that they are different and I'm glad there are two versions,. No Vinicius deMoraes on the 2nd version but there is a guitar overture that is just terrific.

I have both versions and love them both. I can't really say one is better than the the other, only that they are different and I'm glad there are two versions,. No Vinicius deMoraes on the 2nd version but there is a guitar overture that is just terrific.

I'll have to track that earlier version down. I just know odd tracks on compilations.

Texturally similar, though not as dark and mysterious, is this great record:

maria_Bethania.jpg

I've not warmed to what I've heard of Bethania in her prime - but there are a sequence of recent releases that are beautiful. Largely acoustic, 'traditional' instruments, subtle percussion and a nicely weathered voice. Good songs too. I don't understand the poems that turn up on the discs but they are short.

Beautifully packaged too - also available from e-music if you can skip the wrapping.

O Fino Do Fino is a very good early Elis Regina recording from 1965. She sounds a bit like Elizeth Cardoso on some cuts.

I can also recommend Haroldo Mauro's recent release Bossa na Pressão, for more of a jazz feel:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/haroldomaurojr

I'm found of my new release (Infinita Bossa) as well, with Andrea Moraes Manson singing:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/osomdojazz

maria_Bethania.jpg

I've not warmed to what I've heard of Bethania in her prime - but there are a sequence of recent releases that are beautiful. Largely acoustic, 'traditional' instruments, subtle percussion and a nicely weathered voice. Good songs too. I don't understand the poems that turn up on the discs but they are short.

Beautifully packaged too - also available from e-music if you can skip the wrapping.

Actually, I don't think hit "her prime" until about 5 years ago! (After she signed with her current label, Biscoito Fino.) She now has full creative control, which has worked tremendously in her favor. And she's established a small label of her own, which is also handled by Biscoito Fino.

TTK, you may find of interest this thread on the Adventure Music label:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...mp;hl=Adventure

I particularly recommend the Moacir Santos album Choros & Alegria mentioned in post #2 of that thread.

All of their Moacir Santos discs are great - probably the best things in their catalog. (To my mind, at least!)

Edited by seeline