Suggest Me Some Brazil

Teasing the Korean

I just listened to the track from Os Novos Baianos on Spinning in Air and thought 'Yes!' Sadly, out of stock at Dusty.

Don't give up, it's worth waiting for.

My favorite recent purchase is Pade, a release by Kiko Dinucci and Jucara Marcal. You can check out some of the tracks on Jucara Marcal's myspace page - great writing, stripped down arrangements, and I think Marcal's singing is divine. I got my copy from a seller on ebay in Brazil - I think it's available from CD Universe and Amazon now. I'm looking forward to finding Kiko Dinucci's forthcoming disc with his AfroMacarrônico band. I'm unclear whether it's available now or not, but it should be released soon if it's not.

I also recently picked up Som Imaginario - Manteca de Porco - a fascinating album - through composed music that has elements of progressive rock, and a whole lot more. I'm having difficulty encapsulating it here but I've really been digging it.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This album (came out last fall) is a gem -

joycetuttym_sambajazz_101b.jpg

there are a couple of cuts from it on my blog: their version of Baden's "Berimbau" and "Devagar com a Louca," which is a total recasting of "Crazy He Calls Me." (Though I had to translate the title to be absolutely sure. ;))

It's all samba-jazz. Really wonderful! [crosses fingers and wishes hard for Joyce & Tutty to come to the US again]

I just listened to the track from Os Novos Baianos on Spinning in Air and thought 'Yes!' Sadly, out of stock at Dusty.

Don't give up, it's worth waiting for.

My favorite recent purchase is Pade, a release by Kiko Dinucci and Jucara Marcal. You can check out some of the tracks on Jucara Marcal's myspace page - great writing, stripped down arrangements, and I think Marcal's singing is divine. I got my copy from a seller on ebay in Brazil - I think it's available from CD Universe and Amazon now. I'm looking forward to finding Kiko Dinucci's forthcoming disc with his AfroMacarrônico band. I'm unclear whether it's available now or not, but it should be released soon if it's not.

Ooh, I'm listening to some cuts on their MySpace page and am thinking that I have to get this. Thanks so much for the heads-up!

* Really like the percussion arrangements, too. The album has a very northeastern flavor, and I wonder if that's where Juçara came from. (She lives in São Paulo now.)

Edited to add: per this blogger, she's working with a lot of rhythms (Afro-Brazilian) from the interior of São Paulo state. Very cool!

Edited by seeline

Many thanks all...and keep them coming. Will check out Kiko Dinucci.

I have this early Lobo record which I love...

crrev140.jpg

With so much out there I was unsure where to go next. I now have a target - thanks, Seeline.

The Joyce/Tutty record is indeed marvellous. I was lucky enough to see them last month as part of an all star 50th anniversary of Bossa concert in London. Joyce had the audience eating out of her hand from the moment she hit the stage.

A couple of recent favourites from me:

quartetoemc_aleluia19_101b.jpg

Their album with the Tamba Trio plus selections from a couple of other albums. I'd feared something a bit sugary but this has the ghostliness of the Afeo-Sambas.

51IiQp1asNL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I keep raving about this one a Sao Paulo singer, resident in the UK. It uses mainly British musicians but it just knocked my socks off this year. The quality of the songwriting is stunning.

One I got off e-music and really enjoyed yesterday:

bf632.jpg

[Casuarina - self-titled]

Acoustic, lots of rhythmic stringed instuments, joyous vocals.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

• 3 weeks later...

Today I found a copy of Luiz Bonfa's Brazilian Guitar on Capitol. The cover was in poor shape but the LP appeared okay--I'm sure glad I bought it--an astounding record--fantastic recording quality and utterly great guitar playing. About half solo guitar (though as the notes point out, it is hard to believe that this is a solo guitar player), with various other combinations. This now sits next to Solo in Rio as my favorite Luiz Bonfa records. Has this ever been on CD?

I'm not an aficionado of Brazilian music - just have 20 or so recordings that I like - so don't take this recommendation as gospel. To my ears, Cafe Brasil - a collection of choro performances done by older and younger musicians and singers. I was familiar with some of the performers when I bought this recording - Martinho do Vila, Dino 7 Cordas, Paulinho da Viola, Sivuca - and many of the others were new names to me. As I say, I'm not knowledgeable about the music, but this seems wonderful to me. Putting disparate musicians together often doesn't work, but it sounds to me as if this is one that came off just fine.

I really like the 1st album in that series! The 2nd one is good, too, but (I think) a little too heavy on vocals.... most choros are instrumental. But yeah, the playing is brilliant, and so are many of the singers.

Covers -

51egCHpfdgL._SL500_AA240_.jpg41PCC4CY04L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Edited by seeline

I really like the 1st album in that series! The 2nd one is good, too, but (I think) a little too heavy on vocals.... most choros are instrumental. But yeah, the playing is brilliant, and so are many of the singers.

Covers -

The first album is the one I have and wrote about.

Yes... my apologies! I was confusing Martinho da Vila with another male samba singer who was on the 2nd release.

Either way, it's a great album. :)

Covers -

The first album is the one I have and wrote about.

Yes... my apologies! I was confusing Martinho da Vila with another male samba singer who was on the 2nd release.

Either way, it's a great album. :)

No need for apologies. I didn't even know that there was a second album, and was just clarifying my first post. :)

• 5 weeks later...

It's an early Gilberto Gil album... ;)

DI00943.JPG

That should be quite easy to find nowadays since it was just recently reissued by Water with whom you can usually find their CDs on the shelves of better record stores and, of course online. It's often referred to as Cerebro Electronico or as Gilbert Gil (1969). I agree. I love this album. Pretty much any of the Tropicalia stuff by Gilbert Gil, Gal Costa and Caetano Veloso from the late 60s and early 70s is pretty great.

• 3 weeks later...