Suggest Me Some Brazil

Teasing the Korean

I've been mining Loronix recently. These three are tremendous...the same earthy, darkness you get in the 'Afro-Sambas':

Quartet1-thumb.jpgQuartet2-thumb.jpgQuartet3-thumb.jpg

Lots of great, sugar-free percussion.

However, not all is gold there. This is horrid:

Sings_Luiz_Bonfa_Songbook-thumb.jpg

Drum machines, nasty synth orchestral effects. Everything the 80s were so awful for. I had to turn it off after track 3...something I rarely do.

This one is curious. No drum machines, but synthetic synth backdrop. Joyce is in good voice though:

Tom_Jobim_Os_Anos60-thumb.jpg

Edited by Bev Stapleton

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of purchases from the oldies.com Fantasy sale:

Luiz Bonfa--The Bonfa Magic--a mixed bag, but the solo pieces and the accoustic small group tracks are quite nice.

Bola Sete--Voodoo Lounge--includes two of his mid-1960s Fantasy albums--one of which I didn't much care for, and the other of which is rather sublime.

I've been mining Loronix recently. These three are tremendous...the same earthy, darkness you get in the 'Afro-Sambas':

Quartet1-thumb.jpgQuartet2-thumb.jpgQuartet3-thumb.jpg

Lots of great, sugar-free percussion.

However, not all is gold there. This is horrid:

Sings_Luiz_Bonfa_Songbook-thumb.jpg

Drum machines, nasty synth orchestral effects. Everything the 80s were so awful for. I had to turn it off after track 3...something I rarely do.

This one is curious. No drum machines, but synthetic synth backdrop. Joyce is in good voice though:

Tom_Jobim_Os_Anos60-thumb.jpg

Bev (and all) -

Ithamara *is* a good singer, but she's made some really bad albums! I've heard her with minimal accompaniment (just 6 and 7-string guitars and some percussion) and she was wonderful. I'm not sure why she's been focusing on overproduced albums, but...

BTW, that "EletroPixinguinha" disc is probably going to make you want to turn tail and run! Henrique and Beto Cazes (they're brothers) decided to add what you've called "the dreaded beats" to some of Pixinguinha's music. ;)

The new Biscoito Fino stuff looks wonderful - I wish I could afford it! BF doesn't have a US distributor, and stores that used to carry some of their line (like Dusty Groove) have backed off, due to the exchange rate (good for Brazilians, bad for us) and falling sales. A lot of BF discs are selling for over 30 USD on sites like Amazon.com and CD Universe.

BTW, that Joyce CD (Os Anos 60...) has Gilson Peranzetta on synth/keys. You might want to check eMusic.com for some of his other recordings... he's a marvelous jazz pianist, among other things. I have no idea who produced Os Anos 60..., or why they wanted it done that way, but I can say that I think both Joyce and Gilson did some good things there in spite of the production. ;)

Edited by seeline

Thanks as always for your guidance in this area, Seeline.

I suspect that, like in rock and jazz, the 80s/early 90s have to be approached with caution. There was a time when many an established artist tried to save their career by adopting the 'dreaded beats', mawkish synths and general studio glossiness. I get the impression the Koorax/Bonfa disc was aimed at an MOR market - reminds me of the sort of "Euro-pop for grown-ups' that was around (probably still is) at the time. Eurovision Song Contest stuff.

Any thoughts on this:

AMG(Ithamara%20Koorax,Brazilian%20Butterfly,better%20scan).jpg

The samples on iTunes sound nicely percussive and jammy.

Thanks for the warning on the Cazes' disc. Listened to the e-music samples...not what I'm looking for!

I suspect that, like in rock and jazz, the 80s/early 90s have to be approached with caution.

Yes, and the late 70s too.

The 80s was such a bankrupt decade in nearly every way - music, fashion, architecture, politics. A few good albums were accidentally recorded (e.g. Tom Waits). Film from this decade seems to be one exception to this axiom.

I once picked up, at a thrift store for a dollar, a Caetano album from 1984. He looks like a member of Wham! on the cover. I figured, how bad can it be? I couldn't even get through the second track - bad drum machines, dated production. What an awful decade.

The exchange rate isn't that good for us (currently 1USD is 2,02 BRL) but i stop complaining about this a while ago...

Biscoito releases are usually within the range of 22-32 BRL and as i'm back to the board im always willing to help if needed :)

Marcus Oliveira

Edited by marcoliv

Marcos Sacramento is killer! Great, great samba singer - you should definitely check out his discs on the Biscoito Fino label.

http://www.marcossacramento.com.br/ - he has a brand-new disc out, titled Na Cabeça. I *really* want a copy! (Sample tracks at link.)

Re. Quarteto Jobim-Morelenbaum, I think there's far more happening there than Paula's vocals. ;) (It's a favorite of mine; Paula's recordings under her own name are, for me, a mixed bag.)

Edited by seeline

Following up Harold and Seeline's posts, any thoughts on these?:

sacramentos.gif511tFBUjhUL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I know nothing about either - but these are available on e-music.

Biscoito seem a bit hit and miss about getting things up on e-music and iTunes. A pity. This has to be the way for labels from outside the traditional hubs of the entertainment world to get themselves noticed.

Bev - check my link to Marcos Sacramentos' site (with full tracks from his new album) directly above. I really want to get my hands on the disc soon!

Clara - for me, it depends on the material she's doing, but I haven't heard enough of her work to really be able to comment.

As for this, it's Marcos' previous samba disc, and very good indeed.

sacramentos.gif

Edited by seeline

An old one available on e-music that is a joy. All the usual suspects, songwise, but beautifully done - some marvellous cello:

jobim%20morelenbaum.jpg

Bev, have you got these? If not, do not delay nor hesitate! :)

0be5a7f93902a5da1ab3756882111904.jpg

31WVRS8E5BL._SS500_.jpg

The "Live In Tokyo" disc may be a bit more difficult to get at a reasonable price, I suspect.

Bev - check my link to Marcos Sacramentos' site (with full tracks from his new album) directly above. I really want to get my hands on the disc soon!

Clara - for me, it depends on the material she's doing, but I haven't heard enough of her work to really be able to comment.

As for this, it's Marcos' previous samba disc, and very good indeed.

sacramentos.gif

Thanks, Seeline.

I'll give both ago.

I've jumped up and down about this record several times but it really is THAT good - not just well performed but some seriously good songs. Several have Robert Wyatt involved in singing/writing:

MONICA%20VASCONCELOS%20HIH.jpg

The idea of a Brazilian disc from cold, rainy Britain might seem preposterous but this really is wonderful!

An old one available on e-music that is a joy. All the usual suspects, songwise, but beautifully done - some marvellous cello:

jobim%20morelenbaum.jpg

31WVRS8E5BL._SS500_.jpg

The "Live In Tokyo" disc may be a bit more difficult to get at a reasonable price, I suspect.

Thanks, Jim.

I have the first two (and the first of Paula's more electro-modern discs, with the other on the way from Australia); did not know about the third. Something else to track down.

jobim%20morelenbaum.jpg

31WVRS8E5BL._SS500_.jpg

Thanks, Jim.

I have the first two (and the first of Paula's more electro-modern discs, with the other on the way from Australia); did not know about the third. Something else to track down.

Glad to hear it, Bev. Another one that is not to be missed is this:

TomCantaViniius.jpg

Jobim Music label; rec. live in Rio, 1990, issued circa 2000; Antonio Carlos Jobim,Paula Morelenbaum,Danilo Caymmi,Paulo Jobim,Jaques Morelenbaum

Edited by Jim R

Glad to hear it, Bev. Another one that is not to be missed is this:

TomCantaViniius.jpg

Jobim Music label; rec. live in Rio, 1990, issued circa 2000; Antonio Carlos Jobim,Paula Morelenbaum,Danilo Caymmi,Paulo Jobim,Jaques Morelenbaum

I'll be on to it, Jim. It's up there on Amazon.co.uk mp3...whereas the Tokyo one is prohibitively expensive.

I haven't a clue why, but the bossa/acoustic side of Brazilian music really connects with me - where I listen to other 'world' musics with interest and often enthusiasm this strain just hits me in the gut.

jobim%20morelenbaum.jpg

31WVRS8E5BL._SS500_.jpg

I paid $41.00 for "Live in Tokyo>" Not sure, but that may be the most I've ever paid for a single disc. It was well worth it.

jobim%20morelenbaum.jpg

31WVRS8E5BL._SS500_.jpg

I paid $41.00 for "Live in Tokyo>" Not sure, but that may be the most I've ever paid for a single disc. It was well worth it.

That was such a magnificent group... they continued Jobim's true essence in such an elegant and refined way. I'm not sure they ever got the attention or the recognition they deserved. It's too bad that the Tokyo CD is even more expensive now...

That was such a magnificent group... they continued Jobim's true essence in such an elegant and refined way. I'm not sure they ever got the attention or the recognition they deserved. It's too bad that the Tokyo CD is even more expensive now...

They were just incredible! I missed seeing them live by a week in NYC. I found out about it too late. For awhile there were 15 or 20 videos of the group in Tokyo on you tube - then they disappeared. I was hoping that meant that a DVD was going to materialize but that never came to pass. I would gladly have sprung for that stuff on DVD!

Well, Jim R already knows this (I think), but I'm not big on the Morelenbaum-Sakamoto collaborations. It's not that I dislike anyone involved - far from it! - but somehow, all of the studio albums strike me as lacking something that's very much there on discs like the one by Quarteto Jobim-Morelenbaum. They're almost too laid back and dispassionate for my taste; the only cut on the NYC disc that really hits me is a tango, of all things. (Not that I'm opposed to the form by any means ;), but it's a fairly dark, angst-y piece in comparison with the rest of the cuts.)

I'll even go so far as to say that I think the way the Q. J-M disc was recorded suits Paula's voice *much* better - there's a far warmer sound, and the vocal harmonies created for that disc are a big plus for me. (I think Paula literally sounds better when she's got a lower voice to play off of, in both lead lines and parts.)

Could it be that the Morelenbaum-Sakamoto discs were made (i think) for a non-Brazilian public, while the Jobim-Morelenbaum disc was targeted at Brazil 1st, then other markets? I wonder... I know at least one other person who was touring here (coming from Brazil) at the same time in 2002 who felt that the Morelenbaums and Sakamoto were getting the lion's share of press coverage, which is (as far as I'm aware) pretty on-target. It was unfortunate, in the sense that the other artists in question have a tremendous amount to offer and would (I think) have gotten better attendance at their gigs if the tours hadn't coincided. (Which had something to do with the randomness of travel visa denials at that time - a lot of artists got left out in the cold by the strictures that were put in place after 9/11, including a number of Brazilians - for no seeming reason.)

Edited by seeline

For awhile there were 15 or 20 videos of the group in Tokyo on you tube - then they disappeared.

I watched them frequently, in fact I used one of them as my Youtube bookmark for awhile.

I was hoping that meant that a DVD was going to materialize but that never came to pass. I would gladly have sprung for that stuff on DVD!

Absolutely! I recall both the image and sound quality as being excellent.

Maybe we need to organize a petition... :cool: