Suggest Me Some Brazil

Teasing the Korean

How were the CDs packaged, Bev? In a cardboard box, or in a mailing envelope, or...???

I've had all kinds of trouble with packages from BF being stolen. (Or parts of them being stolen.) It got old pretty fast, and I haven't ordered from them in a long time.

A cardboard box - not all that substantial, but it kept them in place on the clipper ship that sped them across the Atlantic. I've ordered from BF a couple of times in the past and have never had any of the problems you've had...not yet, anyhow!

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moacir's music is fantastic! Thanks for the heads-up, GA.

Edited to add: I'm not sure what you mean by "irregular rhythms," but it sounds like maybe this has something to do with the arrangements on this particular disc?...

* Note: I listened to samples on Mark's site, and I think some of what you're hearing is the slight Afro-Cuban twist he brings to these pieces, in the percussion arrangements and some of his piano vamps. (Judging from what I could tell from the samples.)

Clave, I listened to the disc again last night, and I was able to comfortably sit through it with ease. I guess it just takes getting used to.

I guess that I am so used to laid back sambas from Brazil that I wasn't completely ready for something different.

I hear you, because my ears (and brain) have gone through that same process. A lot of Brazilian rhythms are quite intense and driving, but they're not too well known up here. (though that's been changing over the past 25+ years.)

Edited by seeline

mubi3861.jpg

Just listened to this - absolutely terrific. Wonderful arrangements, varying from track to track. Marvellous percussion...and the singing is fantastic (just wish I knew what she was singing about!). This is Brazilian music as I like it best.

I wish this band would venture to these shores. I saw Teco Cardoso and Rodolfo Stroeter a few years back in an unforgettable concert with some UK musicians. Maybe when the World Music movers and shakers get over their fixation on freedom fighting desert bands from North Africa.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I think Mônica's wanting to stay fairly close to home now, as she and Teco have a small child. I think you'd be more likely to hear her if you take a trip to São Paulo...

BTW, she's playing percussion on some of those tracks! She's gotten very, very good at samba since I last heard her; she has the feel down cold.

Edited by seeline

Wax Poetics #36

I picked that up, I don't always get them but this one looked really good and I am interested in learning more about Brazilian music.

Did anybody read the piece on Airto Moreira? he has great things to say about Cannonball but not so much about Miles and about his last gig with Miles where he told Airto that if he wanted to get paid he had to get on his knees and beg him for the money in front of him and members of the Black Panther Party that were invited back stage.

It also has good write up on Joyce - Visions Of Dawn. Which I will be picking up on emusic. Has anybody hear this?

51EFHh0pU+L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Edited by WorldB3

Two great Brazilian musical dolphins

SubPageDolphin.jpg

Some years ago I became smitten by the Luiz Eca tune 'The Dolphin', hearing it first on a Stan Tracey CD and then later done by Louis Stewart, Bill Evans and Stan Getz.

Today, whilst listening again to the Quarteto Jobim-Morelenbaum album I was completely transfixed by the tune 'O Boto'. Looking it up on Google it turns out to mean 'The Dolphin'.

So well done dolphins...you've inspired two fabulous tunes. I will check my tins of tuna with greater care in future to ensure you are not being harmed.

There's a Jobim Morelenbaum Quartet version on You Tube:

http://www.last.fm/music/Quarteto+Jobim-Morelenbaum/_/O+Boto

The vocal intonation isn't perfect but it's a nice performance...and you get the lyrics in English too!

There's a nice version of the song on this album too:

41ZQ3NRDTML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

In fact the three Hamilton de Holanda albms I have are excellent. Similar sound world if different sources to Dave Grisman.

Now what is this all about:

759015.jpg

Listening to the e-music samples (they have disc 3 and 4) it sounds much better than the cover or concept suggest!

And an interesting one on the way:

hermeto250.jpg

Pascoal has had a huge influence on the generation of UK jazz musicians connected with the Loose Tubes big band of the 80s. Many have played in his orchestra when he's toured here. You hear elements of his quirkiness in their music to this day.

Huw Warren is an intriguing pianist. He's played in straight jazz contexts, produced his own albums which are always quirky, worked in a very different context as June Tabor's pianist for many years, done a lovely album with the vocals in Welsh (he comes fom Wales) and more recently worked with the great Italian singer, Maria Pia de Vito.

So this looks very interesting indeed!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have received a promo copy of an album you might be interested in. Bay Area pianist Mark Levine has a group called The Latin Tinge. They have recorded an album of Moacir Santos music called Off & On: The Music of Moacir Santos. It will be released Sept. 15.

Most of the songs have very irregular rhythms. I like each track very much, but listening to these irregular rhythms for an hour is fatiguing.

I plan to burn two copies of a half hour each, so that I can enjoy the music without getting burned out before it's over.

Over time, I have become used to the rhythms, and they don't bother me anymore. I like it!

I see that you can now listen to this for free at lala.com.

http://www.lala.com/#album/1657606138386464609

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything new that's grabbed me for a while (partly due to less $ available for import CDs), but I thought I might post some videos of a few old favorites...

First up, one of the divas of samba during the 70s and 80s, Clara Nunes.

The song is "Peixe com coco" (title refers to food) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7DBSr7oifg

One of my favorite singers, Mônica Salmaso, with the Orquestra Popular de Câmara. (I think the 1st percussionist shown is Guello... he's very in-demand as a session player.)

The piece is by a composer from Azerbaijan (Eldar Mansurov). It's called "Bayaty."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zqQeAyZMIw

Note: the audio is a little bit weird at times; sounds like the DVR must have picked up some interference from a radio or even another TV show...

Edited by seeline

Only listened to the first disc so far but this is very nice:

514Nd6kVtQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A series of duets with people like: Joao Donato, Monica Salmaso, Teco Cardoso, Joyce Moreno, Paula Morelenbaum, Paquito D'Rivera, Bill Frisell, Mike Marshall, David Sanchez, Mike Marshall, Anat Cohen, Joe Locke and Airto Moreira. And others.

One disc recorded in USA, one in Brazil.

A series of duets with people like: Joao Donato, Monica Salmaso, Teco Cardoso, Joyce Moreno, Paula Morelenbaum, Paquito D'Rivera, Bill Frisell, Mike Marshall, David Sanchez, Mike Marshall, Anat Cohen, Joe Locke and Airto Moreira. And others.

Bev, can't read that cover. What's the title, artist? Thanks.

Bev, can't read that cover. What's the title, artist? Thanks.

Jovino Santos Neto - Veja O Som (See The Sound)

Edited by A Lark Ascending