• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

OK, I'm game, Bev. :)

I recently came across this book by John P. Murphy, and can't recommend it highly enough -

mib.jpg

The author's website has some great additional material (text, music and videos) that didn't make it into the book and its companion CD.

What impresses me most is this: he deals with almost every existing genre of Brazilian music, and is (AFAIK) the 1st to write about most of them in English. He spent a lot of time in the northeast of Brazil, studying several kinds of folkloric/"popular" music with master musicians, and the results are impressive!

This book is part of a series for classroom use, so there are occasional bits of intrusive text meant for teachers. But that's easily overlooked. He includes a lot of web-only resources in the text and bibliography, too - very easily accessible stuff.

Probably *the* biggest gap is that there are no YouTube/Daily Motion/etc. links, but the book went to press before that all took off.

Edited by seeline

I've been really digging this one lately.

Vi_Velasco-thumb.jpg

She's filipina and grew up in Hollywood, so the lyrics are in English. I'm no bossa nova authority, but I'm guessing this might be a little watered down for the fanatics. Still for this novices like me this just a has a cool vibe too it. Velasco's voice and Zoot Sims' band meld nicely together. My girlfriend who's the farthest thing from a bossa nova fan was liking this a lot too. Definitely a good introduction to the genre.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Leila's made other bossa nova albums, which I haven't heard. Several people have told me that they think this is her best in that vein, and I think their opinions are reliable - though definitely opinion, not fact. :)

You know, I'm feeling at a bit of a loss as to making suggestions here, for a couple of reasons. The main one for me personally: the US dollar has dropped so much against Brazilian currency over the past two years that prices for imported CDs and DVDs have skyrocketed. I just don't have the bucks to be able to afford much of anything at such inflated prices.

But... Biscoito Fino recently issued a DVD of one of Joyce's live shows. I'm sure (sight unseen) it's great, and would recommend her work to anyone!

Edited by seeline

Get anything with Tonhinho Horta's name on it. A world class talent. Try Moonstone, or the trio with Billy Higgins/Gary Peacock. Once I loved? I think. Or his debut album in the early 70s. Or get anything where he played guitar for Nacsimento.

I saw him live once, at the Cornelia Street Cafe in New York--a solo performance. Quite good. Of his leader recordings I've heard, I like the Blue Note trio record the best.

Edited by kh1958

Get anything with Tonhinho Horta's name on it. A world class talent. Try Moonstone, or the trio with Billy Higgins/Gary Peacock. Once I loved? I think. Or his debut album in the early 70s. Or get anything where he played guitar for Nacsimento.

I saw him live once, at the Cornelia Street Cafe in New York--a solo performance. Quite good. Of his leader recordings I've heard, I like the Blue Note trio record the best.

I like him very much, too, but also think that some of his US producers tried too hard to make his albums saleable here by restricting him to bossa nova standards. (That's my hunch, not something I know for sure - but it has happened with other Brazilian artists, even Milton.)

His more recent Brazilian releases are all on small labels and not easy to find, but (IMO) are very much worth tracking down.

• 1 month later...

I've recently enjoyed two anthologies on faroutrecords, Viagem and Viagem 2--collections of pretty obscure '60s bossa nova recordings selected by Nicola Conte. I'm most intrigued by a Brazilian jazz pianist named Tenorio, Jr., who has four tracks on the two anthologies. I only see one album of his available from amazon. Is he a well-known and prolific Brazilian jazz musician? Or someone who made just a few recordings in the 60s?

I've recently enjoyed two anthologies on faroutrecords, Viagem and Viagem 2--collections of pretty obscure '60s bossa nova recordings selected by Nicola Conte. I'm most intrigued by a Brazilian jazz pianist named Tenorio, Jr., who has four tracks on the two anthologies. I only see one album of his available from amazon. Is he a well-known and prolific Brazilian jazz musician? Or someone who made just a few recordings in the 60s?

I'm not familiar with those anthologies but I bet the tracks are from his album "Embalo". It's a Bossa classic, a Jazz classic. Do a search over at Dusty Groove for Tenorio Jr and a bunch of stuff with him will come up. Also do a search at Loronix and you'll get a lot of info.

I'm not familiar with those anthologies but I bet the tracks are from his album "Embalo". It's a Bossa classic, a Jazz classic. Do a search over at Dusty Groove for Tenorio Jr and a bunch of stuff with him will come up. Also do a search at Loronix and you'll get a lot of info.

You're right--all four tracks from the anthologies appear to be from Embalo.

Tenorio was really good, though I know little about him.

You might want to try these sites:

http://cliquemusic.uol.com.br/br/home/home.asp (there's an English-language section)

and

http://www.discosdobrasil.com.br/

The latter is an album database, indexed in a number of ways. It's in Portuguese, but is pretty easy to navigate.

Hope this is helpful!

• 3 weeks later...

Any new leads?

A few interesting things a-coming:

bf923.jpg

http://www.biscoitofino.com.br/en/cat_prod...cada.php?id=482

bf921.jpg

http://www.biscoitofino.com.br/en/cat_prod...cada.php?id=481

Looks like a live album.

And a live Joyce record with the WDR big band:

joyce~~~~~~_celebrati_101b.jpg

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=bdhnkhr9p9

There also seems to be a disc called 'Aquarius - Joyce with Joao Donato' coming from Japan in August.

Edited by Bev Stapleton