Eddie Baccus

Big Wheel

This is an O.K album. The review overstates the case IMHO. If you want to hip yourself to an obscure organist. Check out Sam Lazar. His 3 lps for ARGO are wonderful. He's a guy NOBODY seems to remember. Do yourself a favor, take the money you were going to buy the Baccus CD for at www.dustygroove.com and instead buy "Playback" by Sam Lazar. It's much, much better IHHO. Others may disagree. :D

I, for one, will agree with you, Soul Stream. Baccus' album is good, but Lazar has more soul, IMHO.

Looked for a couple of years for SL's "Soul Merchant" on Argo. It was worth the wait to me!

"Playback" is great. "Space Flight" is Lazar's other release, featuring Grant Green and with Willie Dixon (!!) on bass. Not up to the level of the other two, I think, but not bad by any means.

This is a really wack idea, and I seriously doubt it could possibly be true, but some of Baccus' licks sound a LOT like Rahsaan's. Dorthaan Kirk wrote the liners, and I think Rahsaan produced the date for Smash (a Mercury subsidiary) during the time when he himselfwas signed to Mercury. I have a temptation every time I hear it (and I like it a bit more than y'all) to think that it's Rahsaan doing an organ record under a pseudonym!

No way that could be, but it WOULD be sort of a Kirk-esque thing to do, no?

This is a really wack idea, and I seriously doubt it could possibly be true, but some of Baccus' licks sound a LOT like Rahsaan's. Dorthaan Kirk wrote the liners, and I think Rahsaan produced the date for Smash (a Mercury subsidiary) during the time when he himselfwas signed to Mercury. I have a temptation every time I hear it (and I like it a bit more than y'all) to think that it's Rahsaan doing an organ record under a pseudonym!

No way that could be, but it WOULD be sort of a Kirk-esque thing to do, no?

That would be totally crazy. Why couldn't he do it? It's not that hard to play organ! :)

That would be totally crazy.  Why couldn't he do it?  It's not that hard to play organ! :)

Well, if anybody would or COULD do it, it would be Rahsaan, he of the gifts far beyond mortal men. ;)

But seriously, Baccus was from, where, Cleveland? Toledo? Somewhere in Ohio...same as Rahsaan. Interesting to hear the common linkage there, maybe sort of a regional dialect of sorts. You don't hear that today as much as you once did.

According to the notes for this album, Baccus was from N.C., but went to school in Columbus, Ohio, and played with Kirk out of Cleveland for awhile.

Yeah, which leads to the question about the occasional similarities in his and Rahsaan's style, who influenced whom?

Or maybe even, who influenced THEM? These "regional dialects" are really intriguing sometimes.

A similar question could be asked about Trane & Jimmy Smith in the Philly days. Ultimately, I think it's a "community" thing, but you know SOMEBODY had to have laid down the roots in a particular area. Stuff just don't happen out of thin air, does it?

Oh, for a time machine...

Interesting find--Eddie Baccus appears as "blind pianist" in the recent movie "Antwoine Fisher". I would be interested to hear how this came to be.

Where does Antwone Fisher take place?

Maybe someone in the screenwriting process was a jazz nut, but determined that they couldn't have a jazz organist 'cos that would be too weird.

• 4 years later...