Now or Never on the Hodges Mosaic

Tom 1960

I am by no means an expert on this era of jazz, but I bought the Hodges set probably 2 years ago on a whim, and never really gave it a listen. This "running low" stuff got me to give it a good listen over the past week or so, and man, is it an outstanding set. Congrats to anyone who got in before it went bye-bye.

After mulling, vacillating, and procrastinating thru February, I ordered it on Monday at 9:30 am.

Hodges set # 5804 arrived yesterday and I haven't stopped playing it -- all y'all's props were spot on!

Me and The Rabbit in late Jan., 1970:

As a 14-year-old, I got to meet and shake hands after the Ellington orchestra played Providence College. Hodges was backstage and grinning broadly after the show (and smiling as such was rare for the Rabbit). I later figured out why -- before the gig, Paul Gonsalves had spent a couple hours with his Cape Verdean buddys near Providence and was plastered by the time he hit the stage. Ellington called him out for solo after solo "for his family and friends in the audience." Hodges couldn't contain his glee of Duke's ball-busting Gonsalves.

The Hodges set gone.

Woah, I must have gotten one of the last ones out of the building. My order/shipping confirmation came through today at 11:53 PST. It will be here on Monday. :g

You probably copped one of the very last. When you get it, could you post the #? (Anal minds are just DYING to know.)

The Hodges set gone.

Woah, I must have gotten one of the last ones out of the building. My order/shipping confirmation came through today at 11:53 PST. It will be here on Monday. :g

You probably copped one of the very last. When you get it, could you post the #? (Anal minds are just DYING to know.)

Mine was 5810.

The Hodges set gone.

Will do.

My set just arrived today, after being stuck in the DHL shipping hub in Chehalis, WA from 9:00 PM Friday through 5:00 AM today. Happily, it made its way to Oregon and onto the truck by 9:30 AM, so all is good.

The number of my set is 5860. Time to DIG IN! :g

• 2 weeks later...

Man, this is a great set in every way. I am very glad I got it. I've listened to it through 4 times now, and whenever I need some music to lift my spirits, this is a dandy for the purpose. I just have to comment on the EXCELLENT drumming by Mel Lewis on sessions L & M, as good, if not better, than any drumming on the set.