Charles Lloyd - Rabo De Nube

GA Russell

Charles Lloyd's quartet will have a new album coming out March 11 called Rabo De Nube. The quartet includes Jason Moran on piano, Reuben Rogers on bass and Eric Harland on drums.

Here's the tour lineup:

March 27 Santa Fe, NM Lensic Theater

March 28 San Francisco, CA Herbst Theater

March 29 La Jolla, CA Athenaeum

March 30 Los Angeles, CA Catalina Bar and Grill

March 31 Seattle, WA Triple Door

June 1 Santa Barbara, CA Lobero Theater

Charles Lloyd's quartet will have a new album coming out March 11 called Rabo De Nube. The quartet includes Jason Moran on piano, Reuben Rogers on bass and Eric Harland on drums.

Harland's a solid drummer. He was on Lloyd's "Sangam" with Zakir Hussain, as well as "Jumping the Creek". I spoke with him last year on the SF Jazz tour, and he was excited about the Lloyd Quartet w/Moran. I'm looking forward to this recording.

Edited by Aggie87

I gotta get tickets for the SF show! I could not be more excited about this line up. Eric Harland has really lit a fire under LLoyd, and now the geezer is playing the most extroverted music of his career. Jason Moran should push things even further. I can not wait for this album. :excited:

Here's the tour lineup:

March 27 Santa Fe, NM Lensic Theater

March 28 San Francisco, CA Herbst Theater

March 29 La Jolla, CA Athenaeum

March 30 Los Angeles, CA Catalina Bar and Grill

March 31 Seattle, WA Triple Door

June 1 Santa Barbara, CA Lobero Theater

I made the mistake of missing the concert he gave at the Lobero at which they recorded Sangam because I'd seen him there just the year before and liked it but didn't love it. Bought a copy of the Sangam cd when he was autographing them at the Borders which is next to the Lobero. I did love it and kicked myself for missing the concert.

Harland is incredible. Last sunday I saw the SF Collective in Amsterdam and needless to say they smoked!!! Saw them last year too at the North Sea Jazz Festival (great!). I was also present at the recording session for Stefano di Battista's last CD with Harland and that was cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up this release yesterday from my local CD store and am giving it a first run through at work. My initial reaction is that this is a great CD with notable contributions from Jason Moran and, particularly, Eric Harland who is fast becoming one of my favorites.

While this is my first purchase of new music this year (besides "The Remedy" from Kurt Roenwinkel which is a killer) I would hazard a guess that this will be near the top of my "best of" list by year-end. Eminently listenable!

LWayne :excited:

wow, haven't given it a lot of spins yet but Jason and Eric sound great on this and the sound of the live recording is superb. The record is kind of a mix of Canto, Crescent and JuJu.

I don't think I have heard Jason Moran sound better. Lloyd has done it again.

wow, haven't given it a lot of spins yet but Jason and Eric sound great on this and the sound of the live recording is superb. The record is kind of a mix of Canto, Crescent and JuJu.

I don't think I have heard Jason Moran sound better. Lloyd has done it again.

Jason Moran sound fabulous backing up Bunky Green on Another Place (Label Bleu).

This record is fantastic. I only started to check out Lloyd fairly recently, and of the ones I've heard (besides this one, I have The Water is Wide, Jumping the Creek, and Sangam) I would have to say this is the best. (And I like all four a whole lot.)

JaMo is a great addition. This quartet has real chemistry. I sure wish their tour was bringing them to Chicago....

fuck that-- i have a goodly amount of respect for & very little tolerance of Charles Lloyd's ECM period, so much insipid filigree (we ain't talkin' Ben Webster), so little... well, lots of things. that said, he's his own man, just waaaaaaaaaay too drifting for this member of The Jazz Peerage. does ECM engineering play a part? sounds likely, but i don't care how near-dead Higgins was, he was still a drag & i'd rather have heard the dude from Magnum P.I. in his place (ya'll bet yr sweet rosy ass.)

I disagree -- there are some great records in the Lloyd ECM catalogue. However, the gushing reviews they and he get are way out of proportion.

Guy

• 8 months later...

I recently listened to this album for the first time. Very enjoyable. I am a Lloyd fan, but the star of this album is Jason Moran who is just as great as you would imagine.

Guy

I have always liked Jason Moran's playing but not his records. I think this record will be his coming out party for a lot of folks who have never heard of him before. Like Jarrett on Forest Flower - Live In Monterey.

I recently listened to this album for the first time. Very enjoyable. I am a Lloyd fan, but the star of this album is Jason Moran who is just as great as you would imagine.

Guy

Agreed. Lots of fabulous moments on this Cd. Well-recorded too. I noticed, recently, it's now available at bmg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

albumcoverCharlesLloyd-DreamWeaver.jpg

Pretty much the best/most consistent album by the soon to be popular Lloyd/Jarrett quartet. Great playing by all and you get Cecil McBee & Jack DeJohette to up the ante.

This was the "breakthrough" album:

albumcoverCharlesLloyd-ForestFlower-LiveAtMonterey.jpg

It's very good, but I think that Dream Weaver is the better music.