Byard Lancaster - Live at Macalester College

Chalupa

Can I get an Amen??

http://www.porterrecords.com/

Free Jazz legend Byard Lancaster and Porter Records present some of the most dynamic and alive music you will ever hear! "LIVE AT MACALESTER COLLEGE" has been transferred from the original master tapes and is about to go to the manufacturer with over 25 minutes of additional bonus material. It will be available 4/22/08. Porter Records will also bring Byard's amazing recordings "Sounds of Liberation" "Exodus" and "Personal Testimony".

i've heard good things about lancaster, but i haven't taken the time to explore his music. the sound clips on the label's website sound interesting. btw, did you check out their upcoming reissue of ted daniel's 1974 artist house recording called tapestry?

Edited by jazzshrink

I have the Lancaster - wasn't cheap!

I just lost an auction on ebay last night(final price $181.50) . So after getting the bad news I Googled "Byard Lancaster" and that link was one of the first hits. Wahoo!

i've heard good things about lancaster, but i haven't taken the time to explore his music.

I don't know whether Byard has really made the record he has (or had) in him, but the Dogtown comes close.

I agree w/ this statement although, I think it's a more of a case of his being under-recorded than anything else. A shame. Some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard him play have been at art gallery openings in my building at work.

I was just listening to Exodus and Personal Testimony a few days ago. I think they are both really strong albums. Additionally, my vinyl of PT has some manufacturing flaws, albeit minor, so I'll be glad to hear a clean version remastered from the original tapes.

• 1 month later...

I like Byard Lancaster, but wasn't too thrilled with this one on first listen. I will need to revisit it.

A friend of mine recently hooked me up with a live recording of Byard Lancaster from Philadelphia 7/12/2002 that he snatched from Dime-a-Dozen. Now that one smokes!

I'm rather fond of the Vortex, mainly for that Sonny Sharrock track. Wish someone would reissue the Presenting Burton Greene on Columbia (!) that Byard plays very well on. My LP has a skip and some noise.

That Columbia is amazing! Easily a favorite "free jazz" record.

I had a few copies before getting one that was pristine. There is a lot of silence in the recording, so it's good to get a clean one.

Doubtful Legacy gives a shit, but maybe if Water got their act together...

Man, I just bought a copy of this on ebay and the seller described it as VG++. I would rate it as VG. I'm going to try cleaning it some more but........ GRRRR! :rmad:

Wait till the summer issue of Signal To Noise!

Heh, actually it's an excellent record, much more raw and open than the Vortex (though the tune "Last Summer" also appears here).

The opener, "1324," is an extended foray for Byard's alto, soprano, bass clarinet and trumpet against the backdrop of two basses, conga and J.R. Mitchell's hovering percussion. It's really nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Wait till the summer issue of Signal To Noise!

Heh, actually it's an excellent record, much more raw and open than the Vortex (though the tune "Last Summer" also appears here).

The opener, "1324," is an extended foray for Byard's alto, soprano, bass clarinet and trumpet against the backdrop of two basses, conga and J.R. Mitchell's hovering percussion. It's really nice.

Just finally getting around to listening to this CD today. I have only given it one spin but I really like it. The first tune "1324"is pretty out there - very cool. The Macalester College stuff(tracks 2-4) reminds me of Trane's quartet circa A Love Supreme. The bonus material is very good - it's pretty free/out - don't understand why this stuff was not released before now.

There's some interesting tidbit's in the liner note as well. Like Byard's assertion that,"in 1824 Francis Johnson began playing Jazz in Philadelphia." Take that New Orleans!!! :g Also, that listening to these Dogtown tapes after 30+ years made Byard realize that he had,"...been bullshitting for the past 27 years.... I lightened up my style to please the masses, rather than continue on my Lancaster development of the Avant-Garde." Whoa.

• 8 years later...

Yeah, you're right: it's an excerpt that appears again in the ten-minute track on side two. Good ol' Dogtown. 

Speaking of Lancaster discographies, I'd really love to get a copy of this book somehow:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/albert-ayler-sunny-murray-cecil-taylor-byard-lancaster-kenneth-terroade-on-disc-tape/oclc/10988964