Miles Davis

Durium

I like how on "Billy Boy" Miles and co. laid back on that tune and let Red Garland, Paul Chambers, and Philly Joe Jones cut loose. Miles not only was an outstanding player, but he was a gracious bandleader as well.

Maybe it was just filler. Maybe it was just the producer's idea. :)

Not sure either way. Definitely a nice tip of the hat to the influence and artistry of Ahmad Jamal.

...or maybe it was a tip of the hat to the influence and artistry of Red Garland, I don't really care what anybody says, Red Garland was a damn fine pianist.

No argument from me.

I like how on "Billy Boy" Miles and co. laid back on that tune and let Red Garland, Paul Chambers, and Philly Joe Jones cut loose. Miles not only was an outstanding player, but he was a gracious bandleader as well.

Maybe it was just filler. Maybe it was just the producer's idea. :)

Not sure either way. Definitely a nice tip of the hat to the influence and artistry of Ahmad Jamal.

...or maybe it was a tip of the hat to the influence and artistry of Red Garland, I don't really care what anybody says, Red Garland was a damn fine pianist.

No argument from me.

Me either.

Guest bluenote82

When I go back and listen to Miles Davis, which is quite often, I'm always surprised by how generous he was with his bandmates. He let them solo and he seemed to be really about that.

Guest youmustbe

The drum kit that Philly Joe plays is Andrew Cyrille's. Philly also plays Andrew's drum kit on Bud Powell's 'Time Waits' and the Evans Bradshaw record.

Guest bluenote82

The drum kit that Philly Joe plays is Andrew Cyrille's. Philly also plays Andrew's drum kit on Bud Powell's 'Time Waits' and the Evans Bradshaw record.

And this relates to what?

Do you have a comment on the music?

That's interesting. Why was he using Andrew's kit? I think Philly was using pretty hard during this periond. Could it be that he sold his kit?

When I go back and listen to Miles Davis, which is quite often, I'm always surprised by how generous he was with his bandmates. He let them solo and he seemed to be really about that.

I don't think he's that remarkable in that regard. Lots and lots of bandleaders let their sidemen solo.

I think Miles learned a ton from playing in Parker's band. (There's a guy who also let his sidemen solo "generously"). Seems to me that Miles looked for sax players who would offer that sort of busy tension to the music in contrast to his sparser and cooler tone and ideas that Parker offered to the young Miles.

I don't think he's that remarkable in that regard. Lots and lots of bandleaders let their sidemen solo.

I think Miles learned a ton from playing in Parker's band. (There's a guy who also let his sidemen solo "generously"). Seems to me that Miles looked for sax players who would offer that sort of busy tension to the music in contrast to his sparser and cooler tone and ideas that Parker offered to the young Miles.

I agree. Wayne and George Coleman seem to offer that same tension.

My understanding is that there is no title track on this record. The fourth tune is actually called 'Miles', but at some point it got rechristened and the name has stuck ever since, even up to the latest CD incarnation.

Bertrand.

I think it's because Miles had already recorded a different tune called "Milestones". But I think (I'm not sure) that on the original Lp release it was called "milestones".

My understanding is that there is no title track on this record. The fourth tune is actually called 'Miles', but at some point it got rechristened and the name has stuck ever since, even up to the latest CD incarnation.

Bertrand.

I think it's because Miles had already recorded a different tune called "Milestones". But I think (I'm not sure) that on the original Lp release it was called "milestones".

Yes, "Milestones" was one of four tracks recorded in 1947 by what was essentially the Parker quintet, but with Miles as leader (his first leader date) and Bird on (marvelous) tenor.

"That's the definitive jazz album. If you want to know what jazz is, listen to that album. That has all you'd ever want to hear. It embodies the sprit of everyone who plays jazz." -- Tony Williams.

FWIW, " Milestones" has long been one of my two favorite records of all time, the other being Sonny Rollins' "A Night at the Village Vanguard." I play "Milestones" way more than "Kind of Blue" and I wonder if others do too. The latter may be the more important and influential record historically but "Milestones" is a lot more fun and if I could only have one, there's no question which one I'd choose. If "Milestones" turns 50 this year, then "Kind of Blue" turns 50 next year -- get ready for the onslaught of anniversary stories. Ugh. 'Course, I'll probably end up writing one myself. Sigh. Anniversaries are like crack to journalists. Can't break the habit.

Miles' creativity was so vast, he could create within a year two masterpieces, KOB and Milestones, that feel completely different from one another. To me, Milestones is more hard-hitting and angular, if that makes any sense.... My preference for one album or the other is dictated by whatever mood I'm in at the time.