John Zorn asked writers not to review his performance

You are a real party pooper there Chuck.

Have you been drinking again Bill?

He may be drinking but he's also deleting his posts.

I saw that too. WTF... :ph34r:

From what I understand, the venue gave away press tickets, but Zorn asked the press not to review. He may not have had any control over free tickets.

He may be drinking but he's also deleting his posts.

Ha ha - that's pretty funny.

I can see him now, white-coated nerd with clipboard and heavy rimmed glasses researching online forum deviancy ...

"Start new account on jazz BB.

CHECK!

Start thread comparing musicians and mere listeners that has a superficial harmlessness masking its poisonous heart.

CHECK!

Start another gratuitous thread, again ostensibly harmless, suggesting many members are drunk and/or insane and/or utterly loopy and/or fucked-up and bitterly twisted nobodies.

CHECK!

Delete posts and depart.

CHECK!"

"Well, Sunny Murray couldn't play time "

I don't know about Sonny, but I once got a bunch of people pissed off at me on this board for pointing out a different free drummer who I'd heard trying to play straight four but failing - and this bothered me no end and still bothers me 25 years later - it does show some fundamental issue - and I will not name names this time - but I might give a few hints -

I believe you - but this other guy, who was already starting to make his name in the new music field, worked with a friend of mine on a straight-ahead gig in the middle 1980s; it was torture for the rest of the rhythm section; kept turning the time around - 4 was 1 (he shoulda been playing with Brubeck; nobody would have noticed <_< ) -

I've never been one to advocate that a musician playing in one style needs to be able to play in another - or that a painter has to be able to do representational work before he does otherwise - but even I can count 1-2-3-4,and this guy had NO idea he was even lost - that's a problem -

Edited by AllenLowe

I believe you - but this other guy, who was already starting to make his name in the new music field, worked with a friend of mine on a straight-ahead gig in the middle 1980s; it was torture for the rest of the rhythm section; kept turning the time around - 4 was 1 (he shoulda been playing with Brubeck; nobody would have noticed <_< ) -

I've never been one to advocate that a musician playing in one style needs to be able to play in another - or that a painter has to be able to do representational work before he does otherwise - but even I can count 1-2-3-4,and this guy had NO idea he was even lost - that's a problem -

You've named the name in the past, Joey Baron IIRC, right?

I don't doubt your story, but there's a lot of evidence on record to suggest that he might have been really loaded, oxygen deprived, spiritually disoriented, or otherwise abnormally out of it to play the way you describe on that one night.

As for Sunny Murray, I'd never say that he'd give Philly Joe goosebumps or anything, but he definitely could play time. That much can be heard on those early (for him) sides w/Cecil, especially the Montmartre trio sides, where he sounds like Roy Haynes as heard through a kaleidescope.

well, sometimes it is true that if you don't do a lot of something you may have trouble doing it when you have to - I find that, for example, if I don't play alot of chord change gigs, I get on one, and it takes me a little while to think in that particular way - however, this was a real weird experience; maybe not characteristic; on the other hand, it just may be a problem that remains un-resolved -

Gotcha, my bad, I stand wholly corrected, and apologies to Mr. Barron.

I'm less familiar with the overall work of Mr. G.H. , but based on what I have heard, I still must think that something was "off" that night besides his skill sets. Or maybe not.

I'd agree. My first thought was, maybe he was doing whatever it was he was doing on purpose. But Allen is pretty convinced that wasn't the case. I know that Braxton (with whom GH has played extensively) has come under some criticism for screwing up and generally miscounting on some of his standards stuff -- several tracks on the Charlie Parker Project in particular. ... curious.