Art Pepper

mrjazzman

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, DMP said:

I want to agree with soulpope on the Pepper Vanguard sessions - Elvin Jones, a wonderful drummer, seems to dominate, to the detriment of the music. I was at the earlier Gumbs-Perla-LaBarbara appearance, and I always thought that has been unfairly passed over - it was a strong AND sympathetic group, Gumbs, in particular, was a revelation (apparently a last minute sub for Jacki Byard) and Pepper seemed to be knocked out by them...   For me, one of the most memorable evenings in a lifetime of listening. 

Obviously I`m full of envy ;) .... thnx for sharing ....

On 3/7/2008 at 10:05 PM, Clunky said:

I've really struggled to enjoy the Galaxy box. I got it ultra cheap from 2001 and perhaps as a result have never warmed to it as whole. Perhaps too much of good thing. Late Pepper's wretched intensity can be hard to endure over each of the set's long CDs. Love 50s Contemporary /Omega Tape Pepper, particularly the session with Carl Perkins.

How tastes change over time. The Galaxy set has had very frequent spins in recent years and sits close to the hifi system. I really appreciate late Art Pepper and possibly prefer it to his earlier material. Apples and pears really but it's funny coming across my opinion of 13 years ago and reflecting on how different it is now.

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

How tastes change over time. The Galaxy set has had very frequent spins in recent years and sits close to the hifi system. I really appreciate late Art Pepper and possibly prefer it to his earlier material. Apples and pears really but it's funny coming across my opinion of 13 years ago and reflecting on how different it is now.

Same here .... do believe his Galaxy recordings are underappreciated ....

• 2 months later...
On 12/17/2019 at 5:09 PM, mjzee said:

Just noticed that the Japanese are reissuing "Very R.A.R.E." on January 22.  Elvin Jones, Art Pepper, Roland Hanna, Richard Davis.  I've always wanted to hear this.

Very_RARE.jpg 

I picked this up, and discover that it's only 27 minutes long.  The credits on the original album (back cover reproduced in the booklet) state: 

Recorded at Van Gelder Recording Studio, New Jersey, June 13, 14 & 20, 1979

Recording engineer: Rudy Van Gelder

Cutting lathe operator: Rudy Van Gelder

This last credit got me thinking.  Was this originally a direct-to-disc LP?  That would account for the short running time.  But how do two sides get cut direct-to-disc over three days?  Maybe one day was a washout.

Update: Still don't know if it was direct-to-disc, but it was released at 45 RPM:

0118192638_5e22dd5ed38db.jpg 0118192639_5e22dd5fb41a7.jpg