Art Pepper

mrjazzman

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

61k9SU2FkhL._SS500_.jpg

Been playing that most of the day now - amazing stuff! Amazing Pepper but also plenty of amazing Milcho Leviev!

Only knew one of the Moles before, very cool to have it all!

The notes from Laurie are a great read, too!

Edited by king ubu

The 'Pure Pleasure' looks to be a quality packaging job, much like Mosaic, so I strongly suspect that Laurie's notes will be in there too.

Damn angry with myself that I missed this particular week of performances at Scotts, although I did catch his performance in the 'Bird' tribute at the RFH/Capital Radio Jazz Festival.

Edited by sidewinder

Damn angry with myself that I missed this particular week of performances at Scotts

Clearly a potentially formative event for listeners/musicians of your generation, Sidewinder! Alan Barnes said he travelled down from music college in Leeds to hear Pepper at Scott's that week.

Damn angry with myself that I missed this particular week of performances at Scotts

Clearly a potentially formative event for listeners/musicians of your generation, Sidewinder! Alan Barnes said he travelled down from music college in Leeds to hear Pepper at Scott's that week.

Can't work out exactly why I missed it. Maybe having tickets for the Capital Fest diverted me from Scotts that week. Combined with student shortage of dosh, of course. What I do remember from RFH though is that Pepper's brief but glorious rendition of 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' brought the house down.

I remember Jazz Journal and Melody Maker having major writeups of that Scotts gig, so it was high profile.

Edited by sidewinder

Can't work out exactly why I missed it. Maybe having tickets for the Capital Fest diverted me from Scotts that week. Combined with student shortage of dosh, of course. What I do remember from RFH though is that Pepper's brief but glorious rendition of 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' brought the house down.

I remember Jazz Journal and Melody Maker having major writeups of that Scotts gig, so it was high profile.

I was lucky enough to catch him on one of the nights, Saturday I think. He and the group were absolutely sensational. Although the CDs are very well done they can't really do justice to the live performance - it was ever thus! The atmosphere was electric and you were never quite certain where the music was going. There also seemed to be a bit of 'feeling' between Art & Milcho Leviev on the night which added to the tension. It's one of the few musical events that I can still remember in detail.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have a scan of the Art Pepper Complete Galaxy Recordings discography? I have the small German version of the set and am lacking a booklet...

Maybe it is not quite what you are looking for, but all of the information can be found here: Modern Jazz Discography: Art Pepper

Edited by John L

Does anyone have a scan of the Art Pepper Complete Galaxy Recordings discography? I have the small German version of the set and am lacking a booklet...

Maybe it is not quite what you are looking for, but all of the information can be found here: Modern Jazz Discography: Art Pepper

I think that will work well enough ... I think I can match the tracks on the discs to the corresponding session(s). Thanks.

• 5 years later...
On 9/4/2011 at 11:08 AM, king ubu said:

61k9SU2FkhL._SS500_.jpg

Been playing that most of the day now - amazing stuff! Amazing Pepper but also plenty of amazing Milcho Leviev!

Only knew one of the Moles before, very cool to have it all!

The notes from Laurie are a great read, too!

Just finished listening (again) to the whole set.  Just beautiful, wonderful music.  What Ubu said - Pepper, amazing Milcho Leviev, Tony Dumas, Carl Burnett - such empathy and strength.  One of my best purchases of 2017.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...