Oscar Peterson Proposal in Montreal Causes Flap

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/07/arts/mus...ETERSO_BRF.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arts, Briefly

Oscar Peterson Proposal in Montreal Causes Flap

Compiled by LAWRENCE VAN GELDER

Published: March 7, 2008

A grass-roots movement to rename a busy Montreal subway station in honor of the jazz pianist Oscar Peterson, below, has run into a snag, The Globe and Mail of Toronto reported. The station, around the corner from where Peterson was born and reared, already memorializes Lionel-Adolphe Groulx (1878-1967), a Canadian priest, historian and powerful influence on the Quebec nationalist movement who was also known for anti-Semitism. “Oscar Peterson is important as a symbol of success over adversity,” said Michael Citrome, a Montreal graduate student in law whose campaign on Facebook on behalf of Peterson, who died in December, has attracted 5,000 members. “Lionel Groulx has a message that immediately divided Quebeckers. He’s the symbol of an era that we need to put behind us.” Mr. Citrome’s supporters point out that renaming the station would honor Peterson and give overdue recognition to Montreal’s black community. None of the city’s 68 Métro stations is named for a member of a minority. City Hall says a committee will study the matter. Jarrett Rudy, director of the Quebec Studies Program at McGill University, proposed a compromise: calling the subway stop Station Oscar Peterson-Lionel Groulx.

• 7 years later...
On 3/8/2008, 10:49:10, danasgoodstuff said:

I'm no big fan of Oscar, but anything that can honor him and give a poke in the eye to the ne-fascism that is Quebec-whah 'nationalism' is OK with me.

Dana (representing my prairie peoples)

I can't believe I actually posted that...and in further Oscar Peterson reaching out from beyond the grave news:

In addition, Bösendorfer will release a limited-run Oscar Peterson Signature Edition Piano equipped with Yamaha Disklavier E3 technology. Note-for-note, the instrument faithfully reproduces 13 Peterson piano performances originally captured during the ’70s using the Pianocorder Recording System from Superscope/Marantz. With the touch of a button, the piano’s keys and pedals come alive, moving up and down to recreate Peterson’s performances of “Tenderly,” “Take The ‘A’ Train,” “Lush Life,” “Back Home Again In Indiana,” “Who Can I Turn To,” “Falling In Love With Love,” “Body And Soul,” “Blues Of The Prairies,” “Honeysuckle Rose,” “Misty,” “A Time For Love,” “Old Folks” and “Someone To Watch Over Me.”

Only 12 of the reproducing pianos will be available for sale worldwide through official Bösendorfer dealers (at a list price of $189,999). The Oscar Peterson Signature Edition Piano will make its North American debut on Dec. 11 prior to the “Oscar @ 90” concert at Koerner Hall, where it will be on display in the lobby. The instrument’s U.S. release will take place during the NAMM Show in Anaheim, California, in late January.

2 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I can't believe I actually posted that...and in further Oscar Peterson reaching out from beyond the grave news:

In addition, Bösendorfer will release a limited-run Oscar Peterson Signature Edition Piano equipped with Yamaha Disklavier E3 technology. Note-for-note, the instrument faithfully reproduces 13 Peterson piano performances originally captured during the ’70s using the Pianocorder Recording System from Superscope/Marantz. With the touch of a button, the piano’s keys and pedals come alive, moving up and down to recreate Peterson’s performances of “Tenderly,” “Take The ‘A’ Train,” “Lush Life,” “Back Home Again In Indiana,” “Who Can I Turn To,” “Falling In Love With Love,” “Body And Soul,” “Blues Of The Prairies,” “Honeysuckle Rose,” “Misty,” “A Time For Love,” “Old Folks” and “Someone To Watch Over Me.”

Only 12 of the reproducing pianos will be available for sale worldwide through official Bösendorfer dealers (at a list price of $189,999). The Oscar Peterson Signature Edition Piano will make its North American debut on Dec. 11 prior to the “Oscar @ 90” concert at Koerner Hall, where it will be on display in the lobby. The instrument’s U.S. release will take place during the NAMM Show in Anaheim, California, in late January.

I seem to remember Superscope (was it Sony then?) releasing reel to reel tapes of piano rolls...Gershwin's, perhaps? Very early 70s, iirc. Would there be a common person/factor in that company and that general kind of piano capture/reproducing technology?

21 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

190 large?  Pocket change.

gregmo