CBS Great Performances

CJ Shearn

Back when I was a kid, I had loads of these on vinyl, I had a lot of the Bernstein/NY Philharmonic ones, I love the version of the 1812 from 1957 which I see has been put out as a Sony Masterworks reissue, however, the Great Performances series I've seen some reissued with the original covers, not the beige/white bold black typeface covers, there are still many around on CD from the late 80's early 90's, are these ok sonically? I had gotten #12 which was a Bizet album on CD a long time ago. I haven't listened to classical for more than a decade, think I need to reconnect with my roots, grew up on a steady diet of a lot of classical and jazz but the jazz road has been the one for me for many years.

Edited by CJ Shearn

hot-to-trot, still: Derek Solomons conducting Haydn

I though Solomons' Haydn came close to killing the HIP movemnt all by itself. I bought tons of them used, could hardly get through a single moment without dropping off, eventually dumped them all when Ivan Fisher's complete set came out. Most Bernstein Haydn was a gas, think I've kept all I had.