What radio are you listening to right now?

BillF

Moi Aussi.

That Django 'Undecided' is an all-time favourite. The vocal line sounds like it's slipping around on top of the main music.

Very nice bossa 'Love For Sale' from Dexter Gordon just played.

I think this week's choice track for me was the Bill Evans. I don't have that version of "Comrade Conrad" in my collection.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moi Aussi.

That Django 'Undecided' is an all-time favourite. The vocal line sounds like it's slipping around on top of the main music.

Very nice bossa 'Love For Sale' from Dexter Gordon just played.

I think this week's choice track for me was the Bill Evans. I don't have that version of "Comrade Conrad" in my collection.

Yes, enjoyed that too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Jazz Record Requests.

Particularly liked the 1940 Charlie Christian/Goodman/Basie track. It's years since I heard those sides. Should be in my collection!

Now listening to Something Inside of Me ("bringing you electric and acoustic blues") from WKCR.

Now playing: Tampa Red.

Particularly liked the 1940 Charlie Christian/Goodman/Basie track. It's years since I heard those sides. Should be in my collection!

Rectified that by buying the CBS album Charlie Christian, Genius of Electric Guitar used from Zoverstocks for 58p!! I shall miss my Guernsey friends when they get closed down in April! :(

Now listening to Shorty Rogers discs and archive interview on Jazz Library from BBC Radio 3.

• 3 weeks later...

Jazz Record Requests from BBC Radio 3

In a weekend of live gigs, catching up late on the iPlayer with a favourite radio show.

Now playing: Art Blakey, "Tell It Like It Is" from the album Freedom Rider

Edited by BillF

• 2 weeks later...

I'm there too, Bill. Full hour, on at the right time! Though I suspect a wipe out when Radio 3 does its 'everyone wants to listen to Schubert for 24 hours a day' adventure in a few weeks.

I often fantasise of seizing the BBC for a week and playing 7 days of non-stop Ellington, Coltrane or Anthony Braxton.

I'm there too, Bill. Full hour, on at the right time! Though I suspect a wipe out when Radio 3 does its 'everyone wants to listen to Schubert for 24 hours a day' adventure in a few weeks.

I often fantasise of seizing the BBC for a week and playing 7 days of non-stop Ellington, Coltrane or Anthony Braxton.

Not even WKCR does that! :excited:

Playing last night's "Nuit Thelonious Monk" from France Musique - hosted by Franck Médioni, with Yves Buin (Monk biographer) being there and talking, as well as various pianists testifying... more details here:

http://sites.radiofrance.fr/francemusique/ev/fiche.php?eve_id=285000151

The music (so far) has all been taken from regular releases, but the chatting is fairly interesting and it's great to hear such a big dose of Monk in one go!

I enjoy listening to favorite jazz stations, but also enjoy live streaming from Smalls Jazz Club in NYC, which I listen to just about every evening. I heartily recommend checking it out, and if you dig it, support it with a modest membership. For the cost of a one night cover($20) at the club, you'll have a one year membership, providing you with nightly streams of remarkable musicians.

Tonight, I've been listening to this wonderful group:

8:30 PM to 11:00 PM - The Bill Goodwin Group

Bill Goodwin - Drums , Adam Niewood - Tenor Sax , Orrin Evans - Piano , Evan Gregor - Bass

There's much more to hear, until the wee hours.

Jazz Record Requests from BBC Radio 3

Great selection this week: Jelly Roll, Etta James, Tyner, Peplowski, Thad & Mel ...

Indeed - very taken by Frank Vignola on the Peplowski. In fact it's got me playing a KP disc at present. Loved the Etta James too which should be showing up soon on the CD player.

8.30 next week - US clock changes and opera rule the world!

Edited by A Lark Ascending