What radio are you listening to right now?

BillF

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inspired by viewing 'Play Misty For Me' for about the 101st time since I first saw it on the box last night ( :cool: ) listening to KRML Carmel on the net. Just hoping that Jessica Walter doesn't come round.. :unsure:

Jazz Library from BBC Radio 3 on the iPlayer: Alan Skidmore

How have I missed that?

Edited by sidewinder

Inspired by viewing 'Play Misty For Me' for about the 101st time since I first saw it on the box last night ( :cool: ) listening to KRML Carmel on the net. Just hoping that Jessica Walter doesn't come round.. :unsure:

Jazz Library from BBC Radio 3 on the iPlayer: Alan Skidmore

How have I missed that?

Sorry you missed it, Sidewinder. The more recent selections were truly impressive. Re Coltrane-influenced British tenormen, Dave O'Higgins has received recent praise for his performance alongside Eric Alexander, but those Skidmore tracks, plus hearing him a couple of years ago with the Tubby Hayes Legacy Big Band, leave me thinking he's The Man in this department! :excited:

• 3 weeks later...

but those Skidmore tracks, plus hearing him a couple of years ago with the Tubby Hayes Legacy Big Band, leave me thinking he's The Man in this department! :excited:

Yes, he's brilliant. A good article about him in this month's 'Jazzwise' (he's just turning 70). The first time I saw him live many years ago he was with Elvin Jones' Jazz Machine, along with Pat LaBarbara in a 2-tenor front line. Skid mentions this gig in the article.

That band was incendiary !

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...

JRR

In terms of music, no real change under the new management. The only difference is the early jazz gets mixed in with the rest; it used to stack up at the start of the programme (to allow dirty boppers to switch on 15 minutes later?).

Too much from the trad revival this week, I thought. Perhaps Geoffrey Smith, available online tomorrow, will be a corrective, as his theme this week is Roy Haynes.