What radio are you listening to right now?

BillF

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geoffrey Smith's Jazz from BBC Radio 3

Geoffrey's theme of Porgy and Bess has produced some interesting tracks from Bill Potts, Joe Henderson and Rex Stewart/Cootie Williams, as well as the more expected ones by Miles, Ella and Louis and Coltrane.

The new show is definitely worth a listen IMHO.

JRR

Great to hear one of my favourite contemporary bands played - Oriole. They can convince you it's summer.

Missed them! Just tuned in now. Perhps I'll catch up with the first numbers on the i-Player later.

Might not be your thing, Bill - sort of Brazil meets Spain meets general Latin meets film music - but worth giving it a try.

JRR

Great to hear one of my favourite contemporary bands played - Oriole. They can convince you it's summer.

Missed them! Just tuned in now. Perhps I'll catch up with the first numbers on the i-Player later.

Might not be your thing, Bill - sort of Brazil meets Spain meets general Latin meets film music - but worth giving it a try.

Er, yes.

GSJ: This week's theme Al & Zoot

Excellent, of course, the only drawback being that all but one of the tracks played were already in my collection. The odd man out - from Zoot's Prestige and Vogue sides - is now on my purchase list. :unsure:

Nice JRR tonight - loved the sequence from Soft Machine ('Virtually Pt1') to Webster/Tatum doing 'My One and Only' Love.

Must try to catch it on the i-Player.

Now listening. Humph's "Close Your Eyes" was a trip down memory lane - the B side of "Bad Penny Blues" which I once owned on 78!

Nice JRR tonight - loved the sequence from Soft Machine ('Virtually Pt1') to Webster/Tatum doing 'My One and Only' Love.

Must try to catch it on the i-Player.

Now listening. Humph's "Close Your Eyes" was a trip down memory lane - the B side of "Bad Penny Blues" which I once owned on 78!

Yes, I liked that; and 'Bad Penny Blues' with its famous Lady Madonna feel (I know, I should reverse that).

Great JRR tonight. Lots of classics (Armstrong, Mobley, Teagarden, Mulligan, Ayler, Young), some older things I did not know but liked (Wild Bill Davison, Big Maceo Merriweather) and a couple of interesting newer things (Respectable Groove, Jack Davies).

Yes, a good balanced show.

Jazz Record Requests

Usual far-ranging show: from ODJB to Geri Allen so far.

BTW whatever happened to Geoffrey Smith? Not on this weekend. Has he had the heave-ho already? When they gave him the graveyard slot of Sunday midnight to 1, they probably expected him to lose most of his septuagenarian audience through early bedtimes and lack of computer access (internet use among over 65s in the UK = 30%).

P.S. I was wrong. He's back next week with a "special Olympic-themed edition!!! Suggestions for this show? I can only think of "Runnin' Wild".

P.P.S. New boy on JRR Alyn Shipton has been treated quite well so far, but has just announced a 5:15 start next week "because of the Proms". Will he go the way of Geoffrey?