What radio are you listening to right now?

BillF

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

JRR

Loved the Charlie Haden group playing "Body and Soul". Great to hear something from the Hawkins Stanley Dance Session, discussed recently on the board.

Good programme - lovely to hear Lol Coxhill on a relatively mainstream programme; especially enjoyed the Coleman Hawkins and Dizzy Gillespie tracks. And was reminded to get my 'Birth of the Third Stream' out by the track with Miles on.

• 3 weeks later...

JRR

90 minutes tonight - payback for the Valkyries.

Thanks for the reminder! Now listening.

Lots of interesting stuff this week!

Never heard the Hayes/Gonsalves before. As each are represented separately in my record collection, I think it's time I got them together!

Loved the Morton piano - and piano and vocal by Ottilie Patterson. Saw her sing with Barber a couple of years before this record was made.

Armstrong's "Basin Street Blues" - another blast from the past! - a friend of mine wore the 78 of this thin playing it on an autochange for days while he revised for his O Levels. :lol: Some surprisingly modern things here - Louis was miles behind the beat and Arvell Shaw's bass solo reminded me of the uproar on the occasion when he quoted "Anthropology" in a solo - all this against the background of his boss declaring bebop rubbish. :lol:

And the extended Miles electric track was great.

JRR

90 minutes tonight - payback for the Valkyries.

Thanks for the reminder! Now listening.

Lots of interesting stuff this week!

Never heard the Hayes/Gonsalves before. As each are represented separately in my record collection, I think it's time I got them together!

Loved the Morton piano - and piano and vocal by Ottilie Patterson. Saw her sing with Barber a couple of years before this record was made.

Armstrong's "Basin Street Blues" - another blast from the past! - a friend of mine wore the 78 of this thin playing it on an autochange for days while he revised for his O Levels. :lol: Some surprisingly modern things here - Louis was miles behind the beat and Arvell Shaw's bass solo reminded me of the uproar on the occasion when he quoted "Anthropology" in a solo - all this against the background of his boss declaring bebop rubbish. :lol:

And the extended Miles electric track was great.

Indeed - that extra half hour really allowed the programme to spread. Could do a little detour into contemporary Scottish jazz without losing the mainstays.

I was really taken by a Patterson track back at the start of the year - before my time but what a voice. The Morton caught my ear too.

The Miles track at the end was marvellous - will have to dig out that disc.

JRR

The Champion Jack track, recorded in 1967 when he was living in Halifax (U.K.), took me right back. Ed Dipple and I went along to hear him at Manchester University Students' Union. He played and sang solo in a small room to about 30 people, providing percussion with the rings on his fingers on the piano! But it was a good piano for blues, as I knew from my own fumbling efforts. Evening ended with him signing Ed's Dupree album which he pronounced a good one, made in Germany. Those were the days!

• 2 weeks later...

JRR again.

Trying to find a playlist on their new website is like negotiating a maze. :(

Now playing: classical pianist Jean-Yves Thibaudet's rendition of Bill Evans's "Turn Out the Stars". Beautiful - and in my collection! Only when he attempts to swing do things come unstuck.

Edited by BillF

• 2 weeks later...