What radio are you listening to right now?

BillF

British Conservative politician and jazz fan (strange, but true!)

Appalling Chancellor - redeemed by his liking for jazz. A frequent habitue of Ronnie Scotts, back in the day I believe.

Yes, often at Ronnie's "after late sessions at the House", but so was John Prescott, so perhaps it was more a matter of being blokes of a certain age than of party!

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jazz Record Requests online from BBC Radio 3.

The curiosity in this bunch of records for me was Horace Silver's "Sister Sadie" from Gil Evans' Out of the Cool. It's certainly not there on my Impulse vinyl version of Out of the Cool!

Edited by BillF

Guest Bill Barton

Not going to be able to stay up for Bill Barton's show, but I'm sampling some of KBCS FM's 'Straight No Chaser' program.

Program guide. Very hip.

Thanks for the plug! I was already on... Bright Moments is from 0000-0200 Pacific Time on Mondays. It's eternally, perenially confusing to describe when it's on! Is it Sunday night or Monday morning? Technically it's Monday morning, but most folks seem to think of it as Sunday night. Sigh... My buddy John Pai is the late night guy tonight with Giant Steps from 11:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.

Not going to be able to stay up for Bill Barton's show, but I'm sampling some of KBCS FM's 'Straight No Chaser' program.

Program guide. Very hip.

Thanks for the plug! I was already on... Bright Moments is from 0000-0200 Pacific Time on Mondays. It's eternally, perenially confusing to describe when it's on! Is it Sunday night or Monday morning? Technically it's Monday morning, but most folks seem to think of it as Sunday night. Sigh... My buddy John Pai is the late night guy tonight with Giant Steps from 11:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.

Ah ... my mistake. Early, early early Monday morning then. 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. Eastern time. Every once in a while I'm up at 3 a.m. Rarely at 5 though.

"Night Lights" archived programme on Lee Konitz.

Especially taken by what I heard from:

d298687sgme.jpg

Sadly, MIA.

Sad indeed--I'm pretty sure the HALF NOTE cd is now oop as well. Not sure that any of Konitz's Verve catalogue is domestically available...some of it as downloads, perhaps. (Single disc of MOTION still in print? That Verve Elite edition is a killer!) I got the TRANQUILITY and VERY COOL cds through Mr. Tanno; the Giuffre and Half Note purchases date back to my record-store clerk days in the 1990s.

d298687sgme.jpg

Sadly, MIA.

Sad indeed--I'm pretty sure the HALF NOTE cd is now oop as well. Not sure that any of Konitz's Verve catalogue is domestically available...some of it as downloads, perhaps. (Single disc of MOTION still in print? That Verve Elite edition is a killer!) I got the TRANQUILITY and VERY COOL cds through Mr. Tanno; the Giuffre and Half Note purchases date back to my record-store clerk days in the 1990s.

I recently bought Very Cool + Tranquility on a Gambit Records CD. There seem to be lots of copies of Motion about. But, you did say "domestically" available, so I don't know about that!

Guest Bill Barton

So your show starts at 8 p.m. eastern daylight time?

Nope, 3:00 a.m. EDT. Pesky time zones :rolleyes:

KBCS is at work on setting up digital archiving of shows. I'm not sure how long it will be before this is in place. When it happens that will certainly be a boon for potential listeners in the midwest or on the east coast.

Listening to one of my favorites, Bebop Spoken Here with Bernie Goldberg from KBCS Bellvue Seattle.

Now playing: Bags Meets Wes.

:cool: That's a great show!

"KBCS is at work on setting up digital archiving of shows. I'm not sure how long it will be before this is in place. When it happens that will certainly be a boon for potential listeners in the midwest or on the east coast."

:) :) :) :) :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :crazy: :crazy: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Edited by alocispepraluger102

d298687sgme.jpg

Sadly, MIA.

I was able to reconstruct that original album (along with 'You and Lee') by downloading from e-music the collection Lonehill put out under Bill Evans name (I know - lunacy! I assume they assemble them this way to get round the copyright issues). I'd have preferred the 2CD Verve reissue with the 'third stream' compositions, but there only seem to be a scattering of these at high prices. 'Palo Alto' is an amazing theme!

Really enjoyed the Peggy Lee programme last night.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

KBCS is at work on setting up digital archiving of shows. I'm not sure how long it will be before this is in place. When it happens that will certainly be a boon for potential listeners in the midwest or on the east coast.

... or over here!