What radio are you listening to right now?

BillF

An old Zenith.

I used to listen to this one (not in the 1930's- I wasn't born yet. I had one in the 80's and 90's):

zenith9-s-367_4.gif

But if I could listen to any radio (especially if I could go back to 1935 and pick one up cheaper), it would be this one...

spartonnocturne52.jpg

(for those who don't know what was under there, I'll let the drama build just a bit...)

Jim, you've let too much time lapse... I'm gonna put in a spoiler (but not a photo, you can still do that): isn't it the most famous of the Teague-designed Sparton sets? The Model 1168 Nocturne?

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening on WKCR to what sounds like Dexter on a club date playing "Scrabble from the Apple". Great stuff! No further details as yet.

Details now available: Dexter with a Dutch rhythm section at the Paradisio, Amsterdam in 1969, "tearin' it up", as the WKCR presenter said.

Alan Barnes on Sonny Stitt from BBC Radio 3 Jazz Library archives.

P.S. Disappointed to discover that the podcast fades out the tunes after a couple of minutes, so that what was originally a one-hour show ends up at around half that duration. (Is there a copyright issue here - anyone know?) This makes even more dammnable the Beeb's recent decision to reschedule the "live" Jazz Library to midnight to 1 a.m., as those who don't stay up till the wee small hours don't get to hear the music in full. If only listeners had the sense to dump jazz and take to opera instead, they could have endless hours of it during the normal listening day! Hope you're reading this Bev! :smirk:

Edited by BillF

P.S. Disappointed to discover that the podcast fades out the tunes after a couple of minutes, so that what was originally a one-hour show ends up at around half that duration. (Is there a copyright issue here - anyone know?) This makes even more dammnable the Beeb's recent decision to reschedule the "live" Jazz Library to midnight to 1 a.m., as those who don't stay up till the wee small hours don't get to hear the music in full. If only listeners had the sense to dump jazz and take to opera instead, they could have endless hours of it during the normal listening day! Hope you're reading this Bev! :smirk:

I remember hearing the unbowdlerised version of that programme when first broadcast. Alan Barnes was fascinating.

When I become Controller of BBC Radio 3 I'm going to broadcast all operas with the arias excised. Just recitative. 'I am going to kill him' 'What are you going to do?' 'I am going to kill him' Chorus off-stage 'He is going to kill him...oh no...he is going to kill him'.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I remember hearing the unbowdlerised version of that programme when first broadcast. Alan Barnes was fascinating.

Fortunately, the pruning seemed to have left his contributions intact. It's the music those Beeb types can't stand! :lol: But, to look on the bright side, Barnesy's contributions got me looking forward to next Sunday afternoon's gig when he'll be playing in north Manchester with a local trio. And, you know, he's still an amazing jazz historian on these occasions! Last time I caught a snatch of conversation between him and a local tenorman. He was saying, "Of course, that's standard now, but it's amazing to think that nobody had ever done that before Jimmy Forrest did it." I never found out what it was! :lol:

Moi aussi.

Enjoyed the Johnny Dodds starter. Not so keen on Blossom Dearie - much prefer the Irene Kral 'Spring Can...' played earlier in the year. And the Double Six of Paris are really setting my teeth on edge...though when they go for a Ricard and leave Dizzy to it things improve!

Moi aussi.

Enjoyed the Johnny Dodds starter. Not so keen on Blossom Dearie - much prefer the Irene Kral 'Spring Can...' played earlier in the year. And the Double Six of Paris are really setting my teeth on edge...though when they go for a Ricard and leave Dizzy to it things improve!

Was only around for the first part of the show. Blossom helped me on my way! Once saw her at Scott's as backup to Bill Evans - somewhat unequal contest! Agree about the Irene Kraal - that playing got me to buy the album.