What radio are you listening to right now?

BillF

Jazz Record Requests from BBC Radio 3

Great show this week! The opener, Tubby Hayes playing "Dance of the Aerophragytes" (just a blues, actually) in 1955 at the age of 20, was a revelation to me. Hadn't heard him before he developed the capacity to run all over the horn, so what we had was a beautiful Bird distillation. :tup

Edited by BillF

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jazz Record Requests from BBC Radio 3

Great show this week! The opener, Tubby Hayes playing "Dance of the Aerophragytes" (just a blues, actually) in 1955 at the age of 20, was a revelation to me. Hadn't heard him before he developed the capacity to run all over the horn, so what we had was a beautiful Bird distillation. :tup

Ending with an all-time favourite - the Miles Sextet version of 'On Green Dolphin Street'.

The Jimmy Guiffre really caught my ear - I have that somewhere and will play it now. Really liked the Dizzy G too.

Only managed to catch the last 10 minutes of the Jazz Library show on Al Cohn, so must listen to the rest later on the iPlayer. I know Al isn't a tenor giant like Hawk, Pres Rollins or Trane, but where my personal favorites are concerned, he's up there! :tup

Some fine stuff on Jazz Record requests. For me, the standout track was Irene Kral with Alan Broadbent. Must get some of that in my collection!

Only managed to catch the last 10 minutes of the Jazz Library show on Al Cohn, so must listen to the rest later on the iPlayer. I know Al isn't a tenor giant like Hawk, Pres Rollins or Trane, but where my personal favorites are concerned, he's up there! :tup

Some fine stuff on Jazz Record requests. For me, the standout track was Irene Kral with Alan Broadbent. Must get some of that in my collection!

I'd assumed you'd have been onto the Cohn, Bill. Worth listening to - not my centre of gravity but interesting and very enjoyable music.

Yes, the Kral really struck me too - I've already eye'd up the recording it was from on e-music.

Enjoyed all sorts of things outside my usual comfort zone - Jess Stacy, Miff Mole, Barbara Lea, even Ottilie Patterson and Chris Barber doing Shakespeare!

I'd assumed you'd have been onto the Cohn, Bill. Worth listening to - not my centre of gravity but interesting and very enjoyable music.

I'm sure you'll agree I have a good excuse for missing it! (See "Record Store Day" thread ^_^ )

Only caught a bit of the Cohn but those great tracks from the Newman/Cohn/Green Mosaic Select have propelled that particular Mosaic to the top of my pending list. :tup

Edited by sidewinder

Just finished listening to Jazz Record Requests from BBC Radio 3.

Particularly liked Joe Lovano, "Autumn in New York" with Hank Jones.

I can see the Curse of the Valkyries has struck again!

Damn 'em if it has! I didn't pick up on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to this later this afternoon:

Jazz Library from BBC Radio 3

In an archive interview with Alyn Shipton, the late Johnny Griffin selects his favourite records

Should set you up nicely for Parsifal!

:rmad:

Jazz Library from BBC Radio 3: My old friend Brian Priestley joins Alyn Shipton to pick the finest recordings by Phineas Newborn Jr.

Incidentally, Brian posted on this forum on 7 June 2008 under the name of virtualbp, sent me a PM, but hasn't been seen here since! :(

Edited by BillF

Jazz Library from BBC Radio 3: My old friend Brian Priestley joins Alyn Shipton to pick the finest recordings by Phineas Newborn Jr.

Incidentally, Brian posted on this forum on 7 June 2008 under the name of virtualbp, sent me a PM, but hasn't been seen here since! :(

Did someone shout at him?

Valkyries seem to have re-stabled. JRR is back in a little while.