What radio are you listening to right now?

BillF

Jazz Library from BBC Radio 3: My old friend Brian Priestley joins Alyn Shipton to pick the finest recordings by Phineas Newborn Jr.

Incidentally, Brian posted on this forum on 7 June 2008 under the name of virtualbp, sent me a PM, but hasn't been seen here since! :(

Did someone shout at him?

Valkyries seem to have re-stabled. JRR is back in a little while.

:D

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Missed the Jazz Library programme apart from that fantastic 'Oleo' at the end. Will have to wind back on the replayer.

Great start to JRR - may not be 'brow-furrowing-scowl-over-the-pince-nez' jazz but I love 'Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall' with Ella and the Ink Spots. Never occurred to me that it was a hit in 1944 - a lot of rain falling then.

Missed the Jazz Library programme apart from that fantastic 'Oleo' at the end. Will have to wind back on the replayer.

Great start to JRR - may not be 'brow-furrowing-scowl-over-the-pince-nez' jazz but I love 'Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall' with Ella and the Ink Spots. Never occurred to me that it was a hit in 1944 - a lot of rain falling then.

Yes, I heard only the beginning and the end of the show - not too bad as 6 of the 11 tracks are in my collection. But Geoffrey is clearly aware of fans' frustrations re opera. He ended the show by announcing that it would be on again next week and invited requests to celebrate this! :unsure:

Interesting all-Brit programme with lots of things I know nothing about.

Especially intrigued by Freddy Gardner — The Japanese Sandman. Sounded like a Bix/Trumbauer record.

The Jon Hiseman programme prior was interesting too - though the Colosseum II track was everything that I grew to dislike about mid-70s jazz-prog rock. Here's a twiddly theme on a synth, now we'll play it again; and here's a different twiddly theme on a synth, now we'll play it again; and here's a third... Makes me visualise large capes and ice rinks!

But I'll have to dig out the more jazzy-bluesy original Colosseum albums.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

My excuse for not hearing anything before JRR is that, alerted by Sidewinder, I was out grabbing classic jazz albums for £3 at Fopp. Is there one in Nottingham within striking distance of you, Bev?

I think so. Used to be one there and in Sheffield. I think the Nottingham one survived the collapse a couple of years back.

Though I tend to download most things these days. Tend to avoid venturing into the big city these days! I've become a country mouse since moving to Worksop 20 years back.

Jazz Record Requests was pretty good today. For me the standout track was Al Cohn's "A Serenade for Kathy" from an album called The Giants in Charlie's Tavern, something I'd never come across before.

Yes, I enjoyed that. Nothing much grabbed me in the rest of the programme apart from the Blakey/Hubbard.

Jazz Record Requests was pretty good today. For me the standout track was Al Cohn's "A Serenade for Kathy" from an album called The Giants in Charlie's Tavern, something I'd never come across before.

Yes, I enjoyed that. Nothing much grabbed me in the rest of the programme apart from the Blakey/Hubbard.

The Blakey/Hubbard, of course, but played so many times at home over the years that my wife said, "You've got this one" :)