What radio are you listening to right now?

BillF

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good JRR tonight, Bill. Especially enjoyed Lucky Thompson on 'Where or When' and Curtis Amy on 'Gone into It'.

The Curtis Amy was a gas! This great vinyl album never made it to CD (except as part of a Mosaic Select) and now sells used on Amazon.com for $99.99!! Pity I never bought it in my youth! :(

41g9Z5iy1gL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Good JRR tonight, Bill. Especially enjoyed Lucky Thompson on 'Where or When' and Curtis Amy on 'Gone into It'.

The Curtis Amy was a gas! This great vinyl album never made it to CD (except as part of a Mosaic Select) and now sells used on Amazon.com for $99.99!! Pity I never bought it in my youth! :(

41g9Z5iy1gL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm hoping that Select will pop up on iTunes soon like one or two others.

"Extension: Clare Fischer in the 1960s" on Night Lights from WFIU

Pity they never issued that great Hi-Los/Fischer/Paich session on CD, David!

I now realise I was wrong about that. Not only was it released on CD:

21KWV7BE22L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

it also got the Andorran treatment:

41criHVC67L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fortunately, there's a reasonably priced used copy of the original for me to buy. :tup

• 2 weeks later...

"The Last: Final Recordings of Jazz Greats" on Night Lights from WFIU

Now listening to Bill Evans, "Re Person I Knew" from Consecration: the Final Recordings, where I can hear a real decline in his piano skills, something I didn't notice when I saw him a few weeks earlier at Ronnie Scott's.

This is followed by a seriously weakened Getz. This show, tho' fascinating, doesn't make pleasant listening, David!

Edited by BillF

Seems like there's another thread for "What are you listening to via online radio...", but I'm too lazy to look.

Listening to KFSR, Fresno, CA. Yeah. Feels right for evening in Senegal, waiting for iftar (breaking of the daily Ramadan fast).

(Posted by BeBop in "What are you listening to right now?")

Edited by BillF

An old Zenith.

I used to listen to this one (not in the 1930's- I wasn't born yet. I had one in the 80's and 90's):

zenith9-s-367_4.gif

But if I could listen to any radio (especially if I could go back to 1935 and pick one up cheaper), it would be this one...

spartonnocturne52.jpg

(for those who don't know what was under there, I'll let the drama build just a bit...)

Then again, I suppose y'all paid (taxes) for it...

The BBC is largely paid for through the television licence fee which costs about $230 a year. It's technically possible to escape the fee by not owning a television set and just listening to radio, though I don't know anyone in this position! :)