Paul Chambers-Wynton Kelly

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two Japanese 24-bit K2 remastered Wynton Kelly mini-LP sleeve Vee Jay reissues and enjoy them very much. I'm not so keen on Paul Chambers, so I can't comment there.

The Mosaic set, which also includes the album The Fantastic Frank Strozier, is a bit heavy on alternates, but, setting aside my "Chambers indifference", I think it would be a very worthwhile purchase, the more so since it seems to have the best sound of all Vee Jay CD reissues, including the two mentioned above!

Malcolm Addey remastered this set and I have yet to hear a less than satisfactory Addey remastering job. By the way, did you know that Addey was the engineer of some of Cliff Richard's early recordings, way back in the late 1950s / early 1960s?!

Edited by J.A.W.

I've recently been spinning the Collectables cd of the SOMEDAY MY PRINCE WILL COME album, and I must say I really dig it. Masterful playing from Miles' rhythm section, all three members were in top form on this session. As my avatar indicates, I'm a big Chambers fan (can't wait for the Select set to arrive), and this set is sure to have some of his finest playing/composing on it. I know some are turned off by the multiple alternate takes on this set, but that factor doesn't influence my purchases. This is on my Mosaic wish list; I'm sure you wouldn't regret the purchase, Bev. Go for it!

I really enjoy this set. The sound is very very good, better than any other release of the mateiral I have heard. The only possible downside to the sound is that it is remixed ---very effectively, making the sound very modern sounding---from the original three track masters, and if you are very used to the lp sound as far as separation of channels etc. it's odd to hear this newly set up, but it doesn't appear that you are, so . . . . I think you would enjoy it. The Chambers material I really like, and the Kelly material is great. . . lots of alternates but that may or may not bother you. . . .

I probably don't have a heck of a lot more to add than the others did. I really liked the Chambers stuff and really enjoyed the Miles rhythm section. Wynton is a favorite of mine so this was a must. But what really grabbed was the sound. It's remarkable. When Jimmy Cobb was going through his solos, it was like he was right next to me. Maybe these Vee Jays are a little heavy on the alternates but it's worth the dough.

Thanks for the advice. My eye had been caught by the advert in the Mosaic catalogue following on from a recent listen to the final disc of the Blackhawk Miles set - being mainly unreleased stuff Kelly's playing jumped out at me.

However, I wasn't aware of the number of alternates on the Mosaic and checking the Mosaic website there do seem to be a lot of them. I think I might go for the Select to hear some more Chambers and look elsewhere for Kelly.

I know 'Kelly Blue' and have him on odds and ends elsewhere (a George Coleman disc, a few tracks on a Dinah Washington, a few Miles discs from the early 60s).

Let me change the question. In single-disc-land where can I come across some nice Wynton Kelly?

Recommendations:

Piano - OJC or the XRCD version; 1958 Riverside trio and quartet recordings with Kenny Burrell, Paul Chambers, and Philly Joe Jones

*Kelly Blue - OJC or the XRCD version; 1959 Riverside trio and sextet recordings with Nat Adderley, Benny Golson, Bobby Jaspar, Paul Chambers, and Jimmy Cobb

Wynton Kelly - Vee Jay (Japan) BSCP-30036; 1961 trio recordings with Paul Chambers or Sam Jones, and Jimmy Cobb

*Smokin' at the Half Note - Verve; 1965 quartet recordings with Wes Montgomery, Paul Chambers, and Jimmy Cobb

*These are essential in my opinion.

SMOKIN' AT THE HALF NOTE is Wynton Kelly-Paul Chambers-Jimmy Cobb & Wes Montgomery, a classic disc.

OH yes!! Go for it!!! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Ditto.

And add the Wes Montgomery FULL HOUSE date on Riverside OJC to the list. You get that same foursome plus Johnny Griffin, and they're all in top form or better.

It's GOOD!

SMOKIN' AT THE HALF NOTE is Wynton Kelly-Paul Chambers-Jimmy Cobb & Wes Montgomery, a classic disc.

Ditto.

And add the Wes Montgomery FULL HOUSE date on Riverside OJC to the list. You get that same foursome plus Johnny Griffin, and they're all in top form or better.

It's GOOD!

More ditto!

Bev,

Besides those mentioned involving Wynton, you may want to check out a couple of cds that were issued by Fresh Sounds from the Left Bank: The Wynton Kelly Trio Live at the Left Bank (with Hank Mobley), Catalogue Number 1031, and same title but with George Coleman, Catalogue Number 1032.

Now this is embarrassing.

The Verve Jazz Sides is sat there in my collection, an impulse buy on a London binge from a couple of years back. I think I got put off by the Jimmy Smith/Big Band stuff at the start of disc 1 and the disc has not had due listening.

Played the Half Note stuff this evening and it is magnificent. Just what I'm looking for and I don't have to buy it!

Many thanks for helping me rediscover a recess of my record collection. I'll be using some of those other recommendations too.

Ditto.

It's GOOD!

More ditto!

Ditto to the max!!!

I'm probably in completely the wrong thread for this but...

1. Arn't Mosaic good? Ordered the Chambers' select on Sunday; the delivery people tried to deliver on Thursday (I was at work); got it Friday! That's quick.

2. What a hugely enjoyable set. Unusually I've been playing each disc twice before moving on to the next. Have just listened to disc 2 for the second time and am just loving it all. Donald Byrd is someone I've never really paid attention to - I think I became aware of him in the 70s when he was associated with jazz-funk and I'd always assumed he would not interest me. But after buying 'The Transition Sessions' earlier in the year (Thank you Jazz Record Requests for alerting me to that!) and now hearing this I'm very taken by his exceptionally melodic solo style. Clifford Jordan is another player I've heard in various contexts but hardly noticed. I'm very drawn to his warm playing on disc 2.

3. I'm gradually building to a desire for a full Mosaic box (havn't got one in my collection). The Chambers/Kelly is still in the running...I might just get past those alternate takes. But front runner at present is the Elvin Jones set following on from the George Coleman discussion elsewhere and then seeing Richard Cook's lavish praise in his Blue Note book.

So much music, so little time...

But front runner at present is the Elvin Jones set following on from the George Coleman discussion elsewhere and then seeing Richard Cook's lavish praise in his Blue Note book.

:tup

I've been listening to this set quite a bit lately, particularly the POLY-CURRENTS and THE ULTIMATE ELVIN JONES sessions. This is probably the most "out" set currently available from Mosaic, so if that's your thing, go for it!

Since you're enjoying Donald Byrd's in the Chambers' set, I also highly recommend the Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams set. This is one of the sets I play the most. I was mostly unfamiliar with Byrd before buying the set and just wanted to get some more Blue Note in my collection, but it's turned out to be a favorite. If you've heard BIRD IN FLIGHT and enjoyed it, then you'll enjoy this box. Also, since it's only 4 discs, the cost won't be as prohibitive as the other sets you might be considering.

Bev, I wouldn't bother with the Chambers/Kelly Mosaic. I love both of these guys, but they are on plenty of other sessions (as you know), and I found a lot of this Mosaic kinda boring. I don't usually mind alternates, but the Mosaic overdoes it, and I find my attention wandering as the umpteenth take of "Scotch And Soda" plays. I also don't like the Strozier session, as he can't play in tune - a requirement for a musician, surely. The Kelly sessions would be better if there were a horn or two present.

I would recommend the other Vee Jay Mosaic, the Morgan/Shorter collection. That's very exciting and interesting (some very nice Clifford Jordan, by the way) and Kelly and Chambers are on a lot of it anyway.

Paul's BN sessions are excellent, so I'm glad that you got the Select - dependent on how the remastering sounds. (I have other versions of all of that collection, so I won't be ordering the new box.)

Thanks both of you.

The Kelly/Chambers now goes out of the running. I'm not sure I'm ready for a whole box of Byrd yet. I think I'll sample him more elsewhere first (though I like the idea of Pepper Adams, another player I know next to nothing about who I enjoyed on the Chambers Select).

The Elvin Jones becomes the favourite. Expensive, undoubtedly. Baked beans for a couple of weeks!

You wouldn't be sorry if you got the Byrd/Adams set, Bev. Although everyone's good on that set, Pepper pretty well steals the show.

That set has a lot of variety, a lot of excellent sidemen, very good production (of the original sessions, that is), a fine selection of tunes and lots of good solos. You can't go wrong. Even Ron McMaster plays well on it. :)

My favorite of the sessions is the one with Duke Pearson. It gels very well, with Philly Joe in fine form.

There is also a stunning perormance of "I Will Wait For You" (on the late session with Chick Corea) which is worthy of Miles at his best. Just about the best Byrd I have ever heard, and it would be hard to find outside the Mosaic set.

Clifford Jordan is another player I've heard in various contexts but hardly noticed. I'm very drawn to his warm playing on disc 2.

Bev--

I urge you to check out more Clifford Jordan sometime in the future. He's truly one of the greats!

PS-The Morgan/Shorter Mosaic gets my hearty thumbs-up, but you can get the individual albums that make it up as seperate discs re-issued by Koch, original cover photos and all.

Now, sort something out for me here. I heard 'Wayning Moments' on a radio broadcast a few weeks back and thought 'Oh, I like that!' When I checked up which album it was on it seemed to be on two. One called 'Wayning Moments':

1. Black Orpheus - (take 4)

2. Devil's Island - (take 8)

3. Moon Of Manakoora - (take 2)

4. Dead End - (take 8)

5. Wayning Moments - (take 2)

6. Powder Keg - (take 5)

7. All Or Nothing At All - (take 3)

8. Callaway Went That-A-Way - (take 3)

9. Black Orpheus - (take 3)

10. Devil's Island - (take 7)

11. Moon Of Manakoora - (take 1)

12. Dead End - (take 7)