Eddie Costa Corner

Clunky

Rescued this in the hopes of bringing on interest in the wonderful Eddie Costa

king ubu

Member # 4068

posted February 21, 2003 02:41 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost nothing to be found on this great musician. I know there are some out there who like Costa at least as much as I do (are you with us, Lon?)

Just yesterday gave the VSOP Quintet disc a spin and absolutely love it, especially the arrangement of "Nature Boy".

Then there is his "Guys and Dolls Like Vibes" (VME) with Bil Evans, his sideman-work on Tal Farlow's "This Is" (VEE) and "Swingin' Guitar of" (Verve by Request), the one Blue Note Session by Farlow. Those few records give me enough to marvel again and again what a great musician Costa was!

(By the way: wasn't he on the Sal Salvador Blue Note session either?)

ubu

--------------------

The past is a foreign country - they do things differently there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 48 | From: Zurich, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2003 | IP: Logged

Lonson

Member # 3668

posted February 21, 2003 05:19 AM

I'm a big Costa fan. I've mentioned him a number of times on the board.

Several of my favorites are the Savoy sessions of Ver Planck and Cuozo on which he appears. . . he just sparks it all up!

Posts: 1414 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Oct 2002 | IP: Logged

Brownian Motion

Member # 4117

posted February 21, 2003 05:20 AM

Eddie made a nice record as accompanist to tenor sax man Mike Cuozzo in the mid-50s. He appears on at least a couple of Hal McKusick dates from the late 50s. He was also part of a sterling little band, along with Thad Jones, that Coleman Hawkins put together for a recording date in '59 or '60. He also recorded with Clark Terry in the early 60s.

--------------------

The World is Waiting for the Sunrise...

brownie

Member # 2681

posted February 21, 2003 05:20 AM

Ubu, damn right you are. There's not enough talk about Eddie Costa. So much energy in each of his solos. He was on a lot of dates as sideman (yes, he was on that Sal Salvador BN session) and recorded too few albums under his name: the Mode/VSOP quintet, the 'Guys and Dolls' session with Bill Evans, the beautiful 'House of Blue Lights' on Dot (a trio date) that cries for reissuing.

Another rare album is a Verve Newport 1957 with the Costa quartet (plus tracks by Rolf Kuhn, Mat Matthews and Don Elliott) that also needs to be reissued.

There is also an excellent Eddie Costa/Vinnie Burke date on Jubilee that was reissued by Fresh Sounds.

All the albums from the Tal Farlow trio with Eddie Costa and Vinnie Burke (on Verve and Xanadu) display exciting music. The perfect Eddie Costa solo is on Tal Farlow's 'Tal' album on Verve. A distinctive low-register solo that is instinctively recognizable. Short and beautiful.

The man died much too young.

Posts: 518 | From: paris, old europe | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged

peter rh

Member # 1963

posted February 21, 2003 05:52 AM

Eddie is on 3 or 4 tracks of the Tubby Hayes/

Clark Terry New York Sessions.Eddie was

acutally working at Birdland while the recording was being done and his numbers

were done during intermissions.Don't know

the title for the other dates with Terry

Posts: 317 | From: Coventry England | Registered: Jul 2001 | IP: Logged

Clinton Forry

Member # 722

posted February 21, 2003 07:47 AM

I have also spoken up a few times about Mr. Costa's fantastic talents. My favorite setting is in the trio with Vinnie Burke and Tal Farlow. I see that the dubious Definitive Records is putting out the Xanadu LPs. Someone has it on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2509875523

I cannot find any information about the Verve Newport 1957 album. I saw it on ebay only once. His stuff seems to catch a premium each time.

How is he on the Phil Woods album Bird Feathers?

Posts: 405 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Mar 2000 | IP: Logged

weizen

Member # 833

posted February 21, 2003 07:59 AM

I've been spinning "House of Blue Lights" a good bit lately. You can still get it over at Amazon Japan for $15...worth every penny.

Posts: 3431 | From: Metro Washington, D.C. | Registered: Apr 2000 | IP: Logged

Peter Friedman

Member # 2896

posted February 21, 2003 02:01 PM

Here are some of the CDs with Eddie Costa in my collection.

Clark Terry - Mellow Moods - Prestige

Bird Feathers - various alto players - Costa only plays on the three Hal McCusick tracks

Coleman Hawkins - Bean And The Boys - Fresh Sound

Coleman Hawkins - The hawk Swings Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 - Fresh Sound

Shelly Manne - 2 3 4 - Impulse

I also have, House Of Blue Lights, Guys and Dolls, the trio on jubilee, the Tal Farlow sessions and some others too.

Posts: 341 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged

Peter Friedman

Member # 2896

posted February 21, 2003 02:04 PM

It has been pointed out by some that pianist John Williams who played with Getz, Zoot, & Brookmeyer among others, has a style similar to Eddie Costa's piano playing.

Posts: 341 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Mar 2002 | IP: Logged

Joe

Member # 118

posted February 21, 2003 02:05 PM

Costa also adds his distinctive piano to Hal McKusick's TRIPLE EXPOSURE (a portion of which appeared on the aforementioned BIRD FEATHERS)

[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: Joe ]

Posts: 3888 | From: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: Apr 99 | IP: Logged

Brownian Motion

Member # 4117

posted February 21, 2003 05:25 PM

Eddie was part of a studio orchestra on an album from 1961 or '62: "Jazz Goes to the Movies", arranged by Manny Albam. Johnny Coles was there too. I particularly remember "Exodus Theme" for very tasty work by both these musicians.

--------------------

The World is Waiting for the Sunrise...

Hank

Member # 90

posted February 21, 2003 06:13 PM

Another Costa fan here. I heartily second & third all the recommendations, particularly House of Blue Lights, the Verve Farlows, and the Fuerst sessions. Have never heard the 57 Newport date, but I'm very interested.

In addition, I'd like to mention two more quintet titles:

Jazz on the Rocks by bassist Don Bagley, with Costa, Sal Salvador, Phil Woods, and Charlie Persip. I think it was done for Savoy, engineered by RVG. I have it on a nice-sounding disc from Blue Moon.

The Nature of Things by Lenny Hambro, with Costa, and Sal Salvador and Barry Galbraith splitting the guitar chair. I think it was originally done for Epic; now available on Collectables

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful, indeed. Often overlooked, but a talented multi-instrumentalist.

I didn't realize he was on Manny Albam's "Jazz Goes To The Movies" -- I picked that up several weeks ago, but haven't taken the time to listen to it yet. It will get bumped to the top of the stack now! :g

Eddie Costa was a member of Gigi Gryce's final group, the Gigi Gryce Orch-tette, playing vibes alongside Richard Wyands on piano, and Costa appears on Gryce's Mercury album "Reminiscin'" - not yet on CD, but hopefully a few people got to hear something from it on the WFIU radio show today.

I had the pleasure to speak with Eddie's son, I guess maybe 2 years ago. He was quite young when Eddie died in 1962 and has spent the subsequent 40 years learning about his father's career.

A particular favorite of mine is the "Jazz Mission to Moscow" album on Colpix. There's one piano solo that is a jaw-dropper. I forget which.

Mike

• 5 months later...

Up.

Was giving a fresh listen yesterday to the Japanese LP reissue of 'House of Blue Lights'. I'm just floored with Costa's talent. The way he rebuilds (I hate that word 'deconstruct') 'My Funny Valentine' is amazing.

And what he does with Gigi Gryce's composition 'House of Blue Lights (Blue Lights) is brillant. It's a shame this album has yet to be reissued on CD!

Started searching for a Costa discography on the internet (it was missing at the time the thread started on the BN board) and found this http://www.jazdiskat.co.uk/nstart.html

Just what I was looking for. A great job considering the number of sessions Costa took part in during his all too brief career.

I gotta find House of Blue Lights somewhere. I see the japanese LP copy of the album go for less than $20, but a CD would be nice. Who owns the Dot catalog now? Vivendi/Universal?

They need to reissue "Tal" on CD in the US too. However, I would go for a Mosaic set of his, should it include all of those sides.

• 1 year later...

Got me a copy of the Mighty Mike Cuozzo Savoy album, a mighty fine affair, very enjoyable. BUT, there's a terrible flutter or swoosh over Eddie's vibes. My copy is a 1993 Nippon Columbia Savoy Denon. Is this a known fault, or did I get a copy of a crappy batch that was ditched in some dark corner to be destroyed, but never was?

Got me a copy of the Mighty Mike Cuozzo Savoy album, a mighty fine affair, very enjoyable. BUT, there's a terrible flutter or swoosh over Eddie's vibes. My copy is a 1993 Nippon Columbia Savoy Denon. Is this a known fault, or did I get a copy of a crappy batch that was ditched in some dark corner to be destroyed, but never was?

Couw, Mine's a 1990 King album. I don't recall anything wrong with it but I'll give it a spin and let you know.

Couw, Mine's a 1990 King album. I don't recall anything wrong with it but I'll give it a spin and let you know.

Thanks. It is most notable on the vibe solos.

Here is a 10 second snippet from somewhere towards the end of Eddie's solo on Another You (300Kb 192kpbs mp3; right-click-save or copy-paste the URL in the address bar).

It sounds like a digital swoosh you get on lo-fi mp3s.

Does anyone have the same Savoy/Denon CD?

Here is a 10 second snippet from somewhere towards the end of Eddie's solo on Another You (300Kb 192kpbs mp3; right-click-save or copy-paste the URL in the address bar).

Gave a close listen to that Eddie Costa 'There'll Never Be Another You' solo on the 1990 King/Savoy reissue LP I have. I could not detect any flutter. Sound came distortion free! Only vibrations from the vibraphone, the way it should be.

Long live vinyl

Gave a close listen to that Eddie Costa 'There'll Never Be Another You' solo on the 1990 King/Savoy reissue LP I have. I could not detect any flutter. Sound came distortion free! Only vibrations from the vibraphone, the way it should be.

Long live vinyl

yeah, rub it in... ;)

What bothers me is that the Savoy/Denon disks I have all sound really good. And now this. Weird.

I suppose you're aware of this, but I'll remind you just in case:

House of Blue LIghts is to be reissued in Japan sometime in NOvember or December, I guess. I'll probably pick it up. I'm a big Costa fan and have been hunting down that one for quite a while.

of course the 2002 (or is it 2003?) CD release is still available.

Long live vinyl

Despite Brownie beating me to the turntable I gave this one a spin. A very enjoyable 40 minutes. And another great King pressing.

Edited by JohnS

Fresh Sound announces a limited re-pressing of two rare Costa items:

FSRCD-76 Jubilee

EDDIE COSTA-VINNIE BURKE Trio

With Eddie Costa, Vinnie Burke, Nick Stabulas, 1956

FSRCD-102 Jubilee

MIKE CUOZZO "With the COSTA-BURKE Trio"

With Mike Cuozzo, Eddie Costa, Vinnie Burke, Nick Stabulas, 1956

FSRCD-114 Rama

The RALPH SHARON Sextet "Around the World in Jazz"

With Lucky Thompson, Ralph Sharon, Eddie Costa, Joe Puma, Oscar Pettiford, Osie Johnson, 1957

Check the section: Fresh Sound Records Collectors (link) or do a search.

Edited by mikeweil

FSRCD-102 Jubilee

MIKE CUOZZO "With the COSTA-BURKE Trio"

With Mike Cuozzo, Eddie Costa, Vinnie Burke, Nick Stabulas, 1956

I actually prefer the Cuozzo/Costa match-up on this one over the 'Mighty Mike' cd. I love Kenny Clarke...but Stabulas sounds 'better' to me on this one too!

*** Dumb question time :w ......but with so many labels playing the 're-master this & that out the whazoo' game, why doesn't Fresh Sounds follow suit (or do they?)? These discs were put out in '88-'89....so why not get into the act? Cost prohibitive? No interest? Other?

Don't recall whether it's come up before on this thread, but Coleman Hawkins loved Costa's playing (according to D. Morgenstern). Wish there were more evidence of Costa and Hawkins together. All I know is those two old Crown LPs with Thad Jones. Are they on CD? That material sure could do with a decent remastering, especially since Crown pressings were vile, but if they're now on Fresh Sound (which seems a good bet), they'll probably be dubbed from the LPs.