Eddie Costa Corner

Clunky

Don't recall whether it's come up before on this thread, but Coleman Hawkins loved Costa's playing (according to D. Morgenstern). Wish there were more evidence of Costa and Hawkins together. All I know is those two old Crown LPs with Thad Jones. Are they on CD?  That material sure could do with a decent remastering, especially since Crown pressings were vile, but if they're now on Fresh Sound (which seems a good bet), they'll probably be dubbed from the LPs.

one (at least) of the Crown Hawk sessions has been out on CD from Ace/Boplicity records in UK. THe sound is fine.

chceked it's Hawk Swings CST224 issued 1991, five tracks

- Cloudy

Almost dawn

Stake out

Cross town

Shadows

Edited by Clunky

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I placed an order this evening for the Ralph Sharon in an attempt to bring my Lucky Thompson collection closer to completeness, but included the Coleman Hawkins - the Fresh Sound has both Crown LPs on one CD, all ten tracks, with my favourite Thad Jones participating.

I think I saw a complete CD reissue of that Hawk live material with Eddie Costa originally scattered over two or more Phoenix LPs - will have to search for this. I have one track on a Phoenix LP, sound quality is less enarmoring, but the playing level is very high. Costa was an excellent sideman for Hawk.

Just me, but his sideman playing gets me much more than his own LPs, don't know why.

c3170.jpg

Moodsville

Coleman Hawkins Quintet

Featuring: Coleman Hawkins (ts), Thad Jones (ts), Eddie Costa (p,vb), George Duvivier (b), Osie Johnson (d) Nat Pierce (p on Shadows)

FSRCD 343

PRICE: 9.80 €

Tracklisting:

1. Moodsville 6:12

2. After Midnight 4:45

3. Bean in Orbit 6:03

4. Stalking 9:02

5. Hassle 6:30

6. Cross Town 5:04

7. Shadows 5:42

8. Cloudy 5:35

9. Stake Out 6:15

10. Almost Down 8:55

Recorded in NYC, 1960.

Originally issued on the Crown Label.

Edited by mikeweil

c1664.jpg

Bean And The Boys

Coleman Hawkins

Featuring: Coleman Hawkins (ts), Eddie Costa (p), George Tucker (b), Eddie Campbell (d), Jimmy Cleveland (tb), Benny Golson (s), Billy Bauer (g), Major Holley (b), Eddie Locke (d)

FSCD 1013

PRICE: 9.80 €

Tracklisting:

1. Vignette (Hank Jones)

2. Centerpiece (H.Edison)

3. Stoned (C.Hawkins)

4. Perdido (J.Tizol)

5. Blues (D.R)

Recorded on Rhode Island, 1959

6. Disorder At The Border (C.Hawkins)

7. If I Had You

(Shapiro-Campbell-Connelly)

8. Lover Come Back To Me

(Romberg-Hammerstein)

9. All The Things You Are

(Kern-Hammertein II)

Broadcast on "Freedomland", 1962

Originally on Phoenix LPs 13 (track 3) and 16.

Edited by mikeweil

I have not followed this thread in toto, but has anyone yet mentioned Eddie Costa's fantastic contribution to the Sal Salvador "Kenton presents..." album. This is now available on the reissued BN Connoissseur 10" series BN96548. These 1954 sessions were my first exposure to Eddie's wonderfully percussive style on both piano and vibes.

For those who have never had the privilege of hearing "The House of Blue Lights" album (now CD) on Dot, your pleasure still lies ahead ...

Garth,

Houston.

Edited by garthsj

I placed an order this evening for the Ralph Sharon in an attempt to bring my Lucky Thompson collection closer to completeness, but included the Coleman Hawkins - the Fresh Sound has both Crown LPs on one CD, all ten tracks, with my favourite Thad Jones participating.

Thanks for this , the Crown Hawk material is excellent. Picked an Eros LP pressing of one half of the date at the local Oxfam shop this weekend, very nice it is too, surprisingly quiet.

I'm amazed (once again) what a poor review Penguin and AMG give this material.

Eddie turned up unexpectedly on a CD I played on-air today: Betty Roche, TAKE THE A TRAIN (Bethlehem). I hadn't listened to it in awhile and completely forgot about his presence on that date, along with Conte Candoli.

Just wanted to mention that one! I really like it! Betty is sounding so fresh, and Candoli and Costa (vibes only) add very much to this album.

Mike, she does some awesome scatting, always easy and light-footed and -hearted, often funny, always humorous. Really nice! (Oh, did I send you a copy of this one? Just occurred I may have, but I'm not sure!)

Here's a small cover scan:

bettyrochetaketheatrain.gif

Mike, she does some awesome scatting, always easy and light-footed and -hearted, often funny, always humorous. Really nice! (Oh, did I send you a copy of this one? Just occurred I may have, but I'm not sure!)

Oh yes, your royal highness, you did, and it was the inspiration to include the Earl Hines track with Betty Roché on my BFT!

Like this album very much, thanks again!

Oh yes, your royal highness, you did, and it was the inspiration to include the Earl Hines track with Betty Roché on my BFT!

Like this album very much, thanks again!

:tup

glad to hear you like it!

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case you haven't heard yet:

For all Tal Farlow, Eddie Costa Fans et al. There is a 7 CD release of the 'Verve Tal Farlow sessions' from Mosaic records. I don't know the price yet, but it will be my Christmas present. To: me. From: me!

It is supposed to cover all of Costa's verve recordings with Tal. Also re-issued: Lenny Hambro's -'The Nature of Things', Costa and Lennie Tristano share chores as do Sal Salvador and Barry Galbraith.

The New Tal Release: www.mosaicrecords.com

pmf

A kind boardmember sent me a dub of the 24bit reissue of the Mighty Mike Cuozzo disk on Savoy and I am sad to report I still hear swooshing on Eddie's vibes sound. Not as irritatingly so as on the 1993 Savoy Denon CD, but it's there. I've listened to both disks on various set ups and have other people judge as well, so I doubt it is my system or my ears. It sounds like the effect you get on cymbals when the tape heads are not properly aligned, though the effect is only on the ringing notes of the vibes AFAI can hear it. As it is both on the 24bit as on the older CD version and as it is the first time I hear it on any Savoy Denon disk, I wonder where the misaligned machine is in the lineage (if there is one). Is there any information on the tapes used for these CD reissues?

And can someone please please tell me they hear it too... :unsure:

Hey John, I listened yesterday to the 1993 Savoy cd. . . I don't hear any "swooshing." I hear the tremolo effect that Costa applies as he plays, I hear it sometimes interacting with the reverb that RVG applied when he cut the master. . . .It sounds pretty cool overall, especially that sort of "digital delay" sound in his solo on the blues number. . . . I don't hear anything that sounds like recording error, just some recording manipulation (the reverb) and some really well played and recorded vibes. My ribbon tweeters really sparkle on this cd, and I love the bass solo on the blues number!

couw, stop bothering about the swooshing :o Just enjoy the music :g

the swoosh gets in the way.

heheheh. :g

if this is a normal tremoloe effect then I really wonder why I have never heard anything like it before. this does sound cool, if it were the soundtrack to Forbidden Planet that is, which it obviously is not.

ah well, I knew it was just me. I'll further adjust my ears & expectations and enjoy it even more than I already do.

Eddie turned up unexpectedly on a CD I played on-air today:  Betty Roche, TAKE THE A TRAIN (Bethlehem).  I hadn't listened to it in awhile and completely forgot about his presence on that date, along with Conte Candoli.

Just wanted to mention that one! I really like it! Betty is sounding so fresh, and Candoli and Costa (vibes only) add very much to this album.

Excellent album! :tup:tup I must admit, I got it because it was recommended to me by a waiter. I asked what they were playing in the resturaunt, and he showed me the CD case. I found it one or two days later, used, in a local store. Sometimes life is good.

• 1 year later...

The Spanish Blue Moon label (part of Fresh Sounds) has reissued material from Dot (the Don Bagley albums among others). Wonder why they have not reissued the Eddie Costa 'House of Blue Lights' session yet.

Lonehill has now issued the Costa trio date he did for Dot :

costa_eddie_completer_101b.jpg

This CD also has the trio date he did for Jubilee .

I remember reading years ago that the stereo takes for the Dot session were entirely

different from the mono takes . Having only heard the mono takes , I have not been able

to confirm this . Can anybody here shed some light ? The Japanese have reissued this

but I don't know whether they reissued it in stereo .

House of Blue Lights is an essential Costa recording .

can there possibly be an Eddie Costa thread without mention of his greatest recordings - the Fuerst and Second Set issued originally on Xanadu, and then later on a french CD? Live in Ed Fuerst's living room, I think, with Costa, Tal Farlow, and bass (was it Vinnie Burke?) - amazing, relaxed, out-of-the-studio Costa.

Also, House of Blue Lights is brilliant, fascinating because one hears the effects of the burgeoning free-jazz movement on Costa's playing -

can there possibly be an Eddie Costa thread without mention of his greatest recordings - the Fuerst and Second Set issued originally on Xanadu, and then later on a french CD?

Can there possibly be boneheads who don't read a thread before they say things like that? :g;) They were mentioned by five different people. :huh: ("Fuerst recordings", "Xanadu recordings", "Farlow private recordings")...