Eddie Costa Corner

Clunky

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually that LP is spinning on my turntable right now. To give you another impression in a listener's (not critic's ;) words, "Yardbird Suite" obviously is a tune linked with one particular artist and HIS treatment(s) but here where the treatment by necessity (with THAT instrumentation) has to be different it all sounds "just right" and not forced at all and you are not led into making comparisons with the '"master" version (at least I am not). Of course Phil Woods is key factor in it too.

I always enjoy reading a listener's impression rather than a critic's. :cool: :cool: :cool: I will definitely get this.

I had forgotten that Costa is on "Satan in High Heels"/"Blues for a Stripper", there's a great line up on that album as well., I'll have to dig it out.

I had forgotten that Costa is on "Satan in High Heels"/"Blues for a Stripper", there's a great line up on that album as well., I'll have to dig it out.

Mundell Lowe is a really great arranger. The vibes in "Satan" lineup really add a desperate, caffeine-jag quality to that album. I interviewed Mundell Lowe about 10 years ago and he holds this album in high regard.

Actually that LP is spinning on my turntable right now. To give you another impression in a listener's (not critic's ;) words, "Yardbird Suite" obviously is a tune linked with one particular artist and HIS treatment(s) but here where the treatment by necessity (with THAT instrumentation) has to be different it all sounds "just right" and not forced at all and you are not led into making comparisons with the '"master" version (at least I am not). Of course Phil Woods is key factor in it too.

I always enjoy reading a listener's impression rather than a critic's. :cool: :cool: :cool: I will definitely get this.

Yes Steve, your review was right on the money, this is a really nice little session, the cd actually has 2 extra tracks with a similar line-up from the album "The Jazz We Heard Last Summer". Joe Puma is another reason to get this album.

I've posted this in the Spotify, etc. thread, but I may as well put it here too.

A while ago I did a playlist in Spotify with everything I could find with Eddie Costa in it, and have just updated it, with a lot of newly added stuff. The list is here, and a brief comment, here.

About Satan in High Heels, in the actual film - to watch it and claim you're doing it for research is quite funny - there's some incidental music featuring Costa's rumbling piano.

F

PS Edit to add that I hope to pinpoint all the arranging he did in my discography. In the period 1954-1956 I've found a few tunes that he arranged (with Sal Salvador, for instance). Also, "Round Trip" in the first recording with Sal Salvador appears to be his, not Salvador's.

Edited by Fer Urbina

PS Edit to add that I hope to pinpoint all the arranging he did in my discography. In the period 1954-1956 I've found a few tunes that he arranged (with Sal Salvador, for instance). Also, "Round Trip" in the first recording with Sal Salvador appears to be his, not Salvador's.

I know this one here gives his arranging credits on the Sal Salvador sessions;

513KESEEAML._SS500_.jpg

if you're still looking for them let me know.

I know this one here gives his arranging credits on the Sal Salvador sessions;

513KESEEAML._SS500_.jpg

if you're still looking for them let me know.

Thanks for the offer, Cliff :tup , will let you know if I need those, but I don't think I will.

best

F

• 1 month later...

Going from memory they are quite decent. A little less clarity than on professional recordings of the time, but certainly more than listenable. You can listen to samples from the Andorrans' rip on Amazon. I don't think you will be deterred.

Nice one Swede thanks, I'm listening to the samples now and it sounds like they didn't go to the trouble of bringing Eddie's vibes along to the party, the lazy bastards. :D :D :D

Quality is fine though.