More Verve reissues

AfricaBrass

Have any of you picked up any of these releases yet?

Dorothy Ashby - Afro-Harping

Ray Brown - Jazz Cello

Buddy Emmons - Steel Guitar Jazz

Jim Hall - Live!

Gabor Szabo - High Contrast

I'm not familiar with any of these albums. I do want to get the Buddy Emmons because I love steel guitar.

:rsmile:

I have the Emmons as an import (he's listed as "Buddie" on the cover :wacko: !) and have dug the heck out of it. "Indiana" is the best jazz standard for a steel player, IMHO.

I like the Ashby, which I have on vinyl. Definitely has that late-60's Richard Evans/Cadet sound ... a little jazz, a little rock, a little funk. It's not for everyone, but I dig it.

The Ray Brown is good, but not essential, to my ears. As far as jazz cellists go, Oscar Pettiford was the best in my book, and Ray comes up a bit short of that. Hell of a bassist, though!

The Dorothy Ashby is odd, but cool. I dig it. . . not for everyone perhaps, but if you like Richard Evans arrangements, and her playing, you can't miss. Pretty soulful!

The Jim Hall is a good 'un. Trio with bass and drums, just a fun live date.

Jim Hall Live has just landed on my doormat. It's not had a spin yet but I'm rather impressed by the reproduction of the original Horizon gatefold. A small cheer for Verve. A bigger cheer if they reissued George Russell's Kansas City album. That would be something.

Hi! I dig the Ashby too! More like "soul" harp- Chicago style soul sounds (good to kick back to)- inspired me to buy "In a Minor Groove/Hip Harp" on Prestige - have not played yet.

Also bought the Szabo. It's a pretty decent effort - has first recording of Womack's "Breezin'" - later made a hit by Geo. Benson. Not my favorite Szabo (check out "Man From Two Worlds" by Chico Hamilton!) but a solid session - well worth the price.

If you like Budd"ie"/y Emmons, another jazz-based steel player to check out is Curly Chalker. To be honest, I don't think Curly's sound ever got out of Nashville (he was a BIG country session player, much like Emmons was -- and still is, I think), but his playing was very much along the same lines. The only Chalker LP I'm aware of is "Different Ways To Play" ... it might show up in used places in the southeastern U.S. ... worth hearing if you can find it cheap.