"Jazz Flower Power: the Charles Lloyd Quartet"

For the tenor saxophonist's 70th birthday:

Lloyd3grupp67.jpg

This week on Night Lights it's Jazz Flower Power: The Charles Lloyd Quartet, featuring music from Lloyd's mid-1960s quartet with Keith Jarrett and Jack DeJohnette, along with remarks from Lloyd manager George Avakian. Much more info at the program link above, along with two videos of the Lloyd Quartet performing at Antibes in 1966. "Jazz Flower Power: the Charles Lloyd Quartet" airs Saturday at 11:05 p.m. EST on WFIU-Bloomington and at 9 p.m. Central Time on WNIN-Evansville; it also airs Sunday evening at 10 EST on Michigan's Blue Lake Public Radio. Jazz Flower Power: the Charles Lloyd Quartet will be available for online listening beginning Monday.

Next week: "Mary Lou Williams' Zodiac Suite."

Edited by ghost of miles

I used music from DREAM WEAVER, FOREST FLOWER, JOURNEY WITHIN, and IN THE SOVIET UNION (led off with a short track from OF COURSE, OF COURSE to fill the newshole and give an example of Lloyd pre-Jarrett/DeJohnette quartet). I'd be inclined to agree with you, but that album was so popular that I couldn't see not including something from it in the show. Another program that could have easily been two hours in length.

I used music from DREAM WEAVER, FOREST FLOWER, JOURNEY WITHIN, and IN THE SOVIET UNION (led off with a short track from OF COURSE, OF COURSE to fill the newshole and give an example of Lloyd pre-Jarrett/DeJohnette quartet). I'd be inclined to agree with you, but that album was so popular that I couldn't see not including something from it in the show. Another program that could have easily been two hours in length.

Yeah, you can't skip Forest Flower (the album). Dream Weaver is IMHO the best.

Despite the fact that Lloyd's playing on the album Soundtrack is quite weak, I recommend the live version of "Sombrero Sam". Jarrett and DeJohnette just lock into this incredibly tight, funky groove -- recommended all fans of late 60s soul jazz. (For that matter, the second half of "Forest Flower" from that album is excellent too -- as long as Lloyd isn't playing.)

Guy

• 9 years later...