Andy Warhol designed album covers

mikeweil

couw's posting of a rare Prestige 16 2/3 rpm record cover designed by Andy Warhol was the inspiration for this thread: let's compile a gallery of all covers Andy Warhol designed for Blue Note, Prestige, any other labels ... I'm sure it will be nice to look at.

I'll start with the cover couw found - thanks for posting this rare bird, I like it, but these horns somehow look (ancient) Greek to me, not like trombones, he must have been suffering a heavy Picasso influence at the time!

Edited by mikeweil

• 11 months later...

"1958: ANDY WARHOL'S MOTHER WINS A GRAPHIC DESIGN AWARD.

Warhol's mother often did the lettering for his designs. Her lettering on the cover of a Louis Hardin album, The Story of Moondog, won an award from the American Institute of Graphic Arts as "Andy Warhol's mother". The writing had been rearranged graphically by Warhol for the cover. (AWM58)"

(http://www.warholstars.org/chron/192862.html)

This cover is reproduced in the booklet to the OJC CD MORE MOONDOG / THE STORY OF MOONDOG...

moondog1781.gif

Edited by Joe

• 4 years later...

Whoa, I had no idea that Andy Warhol designed album covers! The only connection I thought he had to music was the Velvet Underground. I mean, sure, he basically started them, so it's not a small connection or anything, but I didn't know he did this too. If you guys are interested, there's some interesting info about his involvement with the music scene at that time in this Andy Warhol biography. Warhol is really just unlimited! I'm a huge fan of all his work, including those cool covers.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...