Hank Mobley Tribute Article

JSngry

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Jim sent a copy of this to me a long while ago, its not new. But I expect a lot of people will be interested - if a little bit depressed - by this description of Hank the man.

I seem to recall one more article that hasn't been uploaded but would provide another glimpse of Hank. I swear it was in JazzTimes some point in the 90s. I recall Sickler being quoted about the fact that when Hank was off the sauce his playing would be much better but he could never stay off long enough. Also that Hank was pretty well read and versed in current affairs and would have long conversations about it. Maybe someone remembers that article and could do what Jim has been doing? I've looked through the JT issues that I kept after the last move but can't find it ...

Eric Nisenson made the comment that Mobley's playing had a negative impact on Miles playing on the "Friday and Saturday Nights at the Blackhawk" recordings.

Though there are different opinions on this issue, It has long been my view that Miles (and Wynton Kelly) played wonderfully on the Blackhawk sessions.

Thanks a lot Jim. Great story that filled in a lot of gaps for me about Mobley the man. Interesting to hear he had no family and never married or had children...that in itself is an invitation to addiction and self-absorption. All that said, Hank is still my favorite tenor of all time. I've tried on Trane and Rollins and all the others I'm "supposed" to like more...but I always come back to Hank as the one I listened to and enjoyed more than the others.

Thanks a lot Jim. Great story that filled in a lot of gaps for me about Mobley the man. Interesting to hear he had no family and never married or had children...that in itself is an invitation to addiction and self-absorption. All that said, Hank is still my favorite tenor of all time. I've tried on Trane and Rollins and all the others I'm "supposed" to like more...but I always come back to Hank as the one I listened to and enjoyed more than the others.

amen. Hank's probably my single favorite tenor player ever.

I have a huge disagreement with "Consider this stat: From November 25, 1956 to April 28, 1958 - a period of seventeen months - Mobley recorded ten solo albums and played on twelve more. Few of these dates, however, are considered among Mobley's best."

Here are the "solo albums":

-Hank Mobley and his All Stars- : Hank Mobley (ts) Milt Jackson (vib) Horace Sliver (p) Doug Waktins (b)

Art Blakey (d)

Hackensack, N.J., January 13, 1957

-2 Reunion Blue Note BLP1544, 45-1641, (Jap)W-5508

-3 Lower stratosphere Blue Note BLP1544, 45-1641

-4 Don't walk -

-5 Ultra marine (alt take)(unissued)

-6 Ultra marine -

-7 Mobley's musings -

-Hank Mobley Quintet- : Art Farmer (tp) Hank Mobley (ts) Horace Silver (p) Doug Watkins (b) Art Blakey (d)

Hackensack, N.J., March 8, 1957

-1 Wham and they're off Blue Note BLP1550, CDP7-48616-2

-2 Wham and they're off (alt take) (Du)1A158-83385/8, (Jap)m1A158-83385/8, CDP7-46816-2

-5 Funk in deep freeze (alt take) (*) Blue Note CDP7-46816-2

-6 Funk in deep freeze BLP1550, 45-1675, CDP7-48616-2

-7 Startin' from scratch Blue Note BLP1550, CDP7-48616-2

-8 Stellawise - , 45-1684, CDP7-48616-2

-9 Base on balls Blue Note BLP1550, 45-1684, CDP7-48616-2

-10 Fin de l'affaire (1)(End of the affair*) Blue Note BLP1550, 45-1675*, CDP7-48616-2

-Hank- : Donald Byrd (tp) John Jenkins (as) Hank Mobley (ts) Bobby Timmons (p) Wilbur Ware (b) Philly Joe

Jones (d)

Hackensack, N.J., April 21, 1957

-2 Easy to love Blue Note BLP1560, 45-1688, CDP7-95591-2

-3 Fit for a hanker Blue Note BLP1560

-4 Hi groove, low feedback -

-7 Time after time - , 45-1688

-9 Dance of the infidels -

-Hank Mobley- : Bill Hardman (tp) Curtis Porter (= Shafi Hadi)(as-1,ts-2) Hank Mobley (ts) Sonny Clark (p)

Paul Chambers (b) Art Taylor (d)

Hackensack, N.J., June 23, 1957

-2 Mighty Moe and Joe (1) Blue Note BLP1568, (Du)1A158-83391/4

Mighty Moe and Joe (alt take) Mosaic MD6-181 and MQ10-181

-5 News (2) Blue Note BLP1568

-6 Bag's groove (2) -

-8 Double exposure (2) -

-10 Falling in love with love - , CDP7.81331-2

-Hank Mobley Quintet featuring Sonny Clark- : Kenny Dorham (tp) Hank Mobley (ts) Sonny Clark (p) Jimmy

Roswer (b) Art Taylor (d)

Hackensack, N.J., August 18, 1957

-3 My reverie Blue Note (Jap)BNJ-61006

-6 Curtain call -

-9 On the bright side -

-10 The Mobe -

-11 Don't get too hip -

-12 Deep in a dream (kd out) -

-Poppin'- : Art Farmer (tp) Hank Mobley (ts) Pepper Adams (bar) Sonny Clark (p) Paul Chambers (b) Philly

Joe Jones (d)

Hackensack, N.J., October 20, 1957

-3 Gettin' into something Blue Note (Jap)GXF-3066

-6 Poppin' -

-8 East of Brooklyn -

-9 Tune up -

-12 Darn that dream -

-Peckin' time- : Hank Mobley & Lee Morgan : Lee Morgan (tp) Hank Mobley (ts) Wynton Kelly (p) Paul Chambers

(b) Charlie Persip (d)

Hackensack, N.J., February 9, 1958

-2 High and flighty (alt take) Blue Note CDP7.81574-2

-3 High and flighty BLP1574, CDP7.81574-2

-4 Stretchin' out (alt take) -

-5 Stretchin' out - , -

-6 Peckin' time - , -

-10 Git-go blues - , -

-11 Speak blow - , -

-12 Speak low (alt take) -

I have a huge disagreement with "Consider this stat: From November 25, 1956 to April 28, 1958 - a period of seventeen months - Mobley recorded ten solo albums and played on twelve more. Few of these dates, however, are considered among Mobley's best."

-Hank Mobley and his All Stars- : Hank Mobley (ts) Milt Jackson (vib) Horace Sliver (p) Doug Waktins (b)

Art Blakey (d)

-4 Don't walk -

-6 Ultra marine -

-7 Mobley's musings -

-Hank Mobley Quintet- : Art Farmer (tp) Hank Mobley (ts) Horace Silver (p) Doug Watkins (b) Art Blakey (d)

-2 Wham and they're off (alt take) (Du)1A158-83385/8, (Jap)m1A158-83385/8, CDP7-46816-2

-10 Fin de l'affaire (1)(End of the affair*) Blue Note BLP1550, 45-1675*, CDP7-48616-2

-Hank- : Donald Byrd (tp) John Jenkins (as) Hank Mobley (ts) Bobby Timmons (p) Wilbur Ware (b) Philly Joe

Jones (d)

-Hank Mobley- : Bill Hardman (tp) Curtis Porter (= Shafi Hadi)(as-1,ts-2) Hank Mobley (ts) Sonny Clark (p)

-6 Bag's groove (2) -

-8 Double exposure (2) -

-Hank Mobley Quintet featuring Sonny Clark- : Kenny Dorham (tp) Hank Mobley (ts) Sonny Clark (p) Jimmy

-6 Curtain call -

-9 On the bright side -

-10 The Mobe -

-11 Don't get too hip -

-Poppin'- : Art Farmer (tp) Hank Mobley (ts) Pepper Adams (bar) Sonny Clark (p) Paul Chambers (b) Philly

Joe Jones (d)

-6 Poppin' -

-8 East of Brooklyn -

-9 Tune up -

-12 Darn that dream -

-Peckin' time- : Hank Mobley & Lee Morgan : Lee Morgan (tp) Hank Mobley (ts) Wynton Kelly (p) Paul Chambers

(b) Charlie Persip (d)

-5 Stretchin' out - , -

-6 Peckin' time - , -

-10 Git-go blues - , -

-11 Speak blow - , -

Absolutely, but to put the quote in the context of 1986, the Mobley Mosaic had not yet been issued, and next to none of these albums were readily available. So the "conventional wisdom" of It All Really Began With Soul Station was still the norm.

In fact, I doubt if the author had heard all (or possibly any) of these albums. I know I had a hard time getting hold of them, other than the All Stars date w/Bags, which for some reason was always easy to find in the 70s.

Yeah...to say those first Blue Note Mobley's aren't the stuff of legends is just kooksville. And if, like Jim suggests, the guy hadn't heard the albums...then why bash 'em? Sounds like bad journalism in that case.

Again, until the Mosaic came out, that part of Hank's legacy was not generally known in 1986. You juust couldn't get the stuff. Hell, go back and read Litweiler's DB piece. See what he places the most emphasis on as far as "most personal statement" and such. And check out the Mosaic advertising from when the Mobley box first hit. There was an air of "everybody knows XYZ, now here's ABC."

Not bad journalism at all - look at who was quoted saying what and how little of it had come to light before. Just a repetition of what was the "conventional wisdom" of the time. The article was written in 1986 - over 20 years ago, long before the reissue boom was in full swing. Things have changed a lot since then...

you mean blue notes didnt show up in used lp store that much? is that what youre sayin?

JSNGRY youve posted a few of these articles ive noticed....do you have a master list of all the thread links thus far, because navigation around Organissimo finding stuff is like finding a Grand Funk Railroad: Mark, Don & Mel 8 Track mixed in with your charles lloyd reel to reel tapes

david newman- HOUSE OF DAVID....who opens an album with a Ballad?!? wtf!??

sorry, back to the Hankmesiter// Hank was a good man, he was not some prick jazz musican bastard. Hank does not have kids, but he does have some sort of cousin or niece, my friend devil boy MET her, shes in Chicago, and shes an electronic music DJ or something like that. but godamn fucking idiot devil boy didn't ask her for her number for me, didnt even get her #, because he was on godamned "E-bomb" (extacy)

I THINK THIS ARTICLE FUCKING SUCKS. IT TRIES AND MAKES HANK OUT TO BE THIS HOPELESS JAZZ MUSICAN. AND THEY PRINT ONE GODAMN HORACE SILVER 70s OBSERVERATION. I THOUGHT WE ALL HATE 70s HORACE SILVER HERE, THAT GOES FOR HIS OPINIONS ON HANK AND HIS BN LPS WITH THE BRECKER BROS!

HANK WAS THE GREATEST, COLTRANE DIDNT ECLIPSE HIM,

****THE REASON COLTRANE AND MOBLEY DRIFTED DOWN SEPARATE PATHS C. 1959 IS ONLY BEACUSE COLTRANE IS THE ONE WHO GOT MINDFUCKED BY SUN RA, AND MOBLEY DIDNT. THATS WHY COLTRANE STARTED ALL HIS CRAZY COLTRANE SHIT, AND THE MOBE KEPT IT REAL****

...AND DONT TELL ME, "OOO CHEWY, COLTRANE AND MOBLEY DRIFETD DOWN SEPARATE PATHS WAYYY B4 THAT....

LISTEN TO THE ELMO HOPE LP AND TELL ME MOBLEY DOESN'T OUT SHIT TRANE ON THAT. THAT TRANE WAS OUT OF GAS.

and about that miles shit, it is bullshit that miles led that band, if i hav eto sit through one more insepid miles solo before hank gets his turn, i will shoot the cd

****THE REASON COLTRANE AND MOBLEY DRIFTED DOWN SEPARATE PATHS C. 1959 IS ONLY BEACUSE COLTRANE IS THE ONE WHO GOT MINDFUCKED BY SUN RA, AND MOBLEY DIDNT. THATS WHY COLTRANE STARTED ALL HIS CRAZY COLTRANE SHIT, AND THE MOBE KEPT IT REAL****

Against my will I have to say..."Hell Yeah!"

Thanks for posting that, Jim. Pictures of dissolution are never pretty, but we're all rubber-necking.

I found this paragraph interesting: "He was dressed to kill: burnt orange leisure suit, bright blue shirt open at the collar, and an oversized cap." I don't have the disc handy, but on the One Night With Blue Note CD reissue, there are (I think) 9 photos of individual performers, and I always puzzled over one guy dressed like Superfly. Couldn't place him; the closest I came to was Bobby Hutcherson, but I could see the picture of Bobby also on the back cover. Was that Hank?

I would agree with Bloom's assessment of Mobley's '50's sessions. They never really grabbed me; they seem kind of dull. I'd make an exception of the All Stars date, but that more for the tunes than for Hank's playing. For me, he came alive with Workout; that's when his horn really started to sing.

I'd also agree with Bloom about the Blackhawk date. The band sounds like a disfunctional family. And why is it that every time Hank steps up to solo, Jimmy Cobb kicks up his drums into high gear? I always imagine it was under Miles's instruction: "Kick that up; make Hank play something."

Art Blakey (d)

-4 Don't walk -

-6 Ultra marine -

-7 Mobley's musings -

Jones (d)

-6 Bag's groove (2) -

-8 Double exposure (2) -

-6 Curtain call -

-9 On the bright side -

-10 The Mobe -

-11 Don't get too hip -

Joe Jones (d)

-6 Poppin' -

-8 East of Brooklyn -

-9 Tune up -

-12 Darn that dream -

(b) Charlie Persip (d)

-5 Stretchin' out - , -

-6 Peckin' time - , -

-10 Git-go blues - , -

-11 Speak blow - , -

Absolutely, but to put the quote in the context of 1986, the Mobley Mosaic had not yet been issued, and next to none of these albums were readily available. So the "conventional wisdom" of It All Really Began With Soul Station was still the norm.

In fact, I doubt if the author had heard all (or possibly any) of these albums. I know I had a hard time getting hold of them, other than the All Stars date w/Bags, which for some reason was always easy to find in the 70s.

Maybe they weren't readily available, but most, if not all, were available on Japanese LPs. If someone was going to write an article on Hank Mobley, that person should have at least made an effort to hear those records before making a blanket dismissal of them. Then again, for all anyone knows, perhaps the author had heard them and just didn't like them.