AOTW 9/28-10/4: GOT A GOOD THING GOIN'

Big Al

WHO?!?! No, not "who." "HUGH!" (any What's Up Doc fans out there?)

Naw. Al, do you mean Hugh, like, the Dr. of music who can't fix a hi-fi?

Edit: I just picked up Got a Good Thing Goin' recently, in preparation for the Patton Mosaic which arrived this week. I have to say that John Patton was relatively under-represented in my collection until this point (I had The Way I Feel and some of his sideman work), and I'm really lovin' this record. It hasn't sunk in yet completely, but it's on its way!

Edited by jmjk

First of all, with this AOW and with the Larry Young thread I´m starting to dig B-3 recordings (until now I was somehow reluctant). I think I gotta give a spin to some of the "not-many" organ CDs I have in my collection: some Jimmy Smith, Jimmy McGriff, Jack McDuff and UNIT.

This disc really cooks! I find Grant Green´s contribution as one of my favorites of him! Green and Patton solo marvellously, but besides this, they leave room for the other to shine. And the melting of organ and guitar sound is OK... this is not what I thought before these days...

My favorite tunes are "The yodel" (look at that wonderful Green´s leading solo), "Soul woman" (with those Patton´s scales and jazzy soul approach) and Duke Pearson´s "Amanda". Not that I don´t like the two soul standards.

BTW the sound quality (thumbs up again for RVG) in my Rare Grooves release is superb!

Big thanks to Big Al for bringing us this AOW!

Great, truly great, Big John Patton album. Perhaps his best for the label, certainly one of his most funky and exciting. "Soul Woman" just slays me, with that intriguing combination of down home, in the pocket funk mixed with free form modal excursion - Patton really left his mark on organ-based jazz with that mixture. All his albums from this point on had that hybrid thing going, with the balance tipping one way or the other depending on the musicians present.

Great choice for AOTW, I will be listening again this weekend!

Just wanted to send out a hearty THANKS to everyone who participated during the "official" week for this album. Hopefully it comes up again in the future (will ANYONE be able to break the record set by Black Market?), and the next few weeks promise to be very challenging and adventurous! Cheers to you all, and thanks for keepin' it oh-so-greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeazy!!!! B)

Since I'm still on my music hiatus, I haven't re-listened to this record but I just wanted to tell this little anecdote.

I first heard the tune "Soul Woman" played by an organ trio in Detroit at a BBQ ribs and chicken joint (best damn BBQ I've ever had, by the way...) The trio was Chris Codish on organ (a student of Bill Heid's) a drummer who I cannot remember, and one of the baddest unsung guitarist I know of... Perry Hughes. Perry is a BAD BAD BAD man. Why he isn't more well-known is beyond me. He can hang with ANYBODY. Benson? No problem... Martino? No problem. The dude is super bad.

Anyway, they played that tune and after the set I asked Chris what it was and he hipped me to the record. I think I actually got a TOCJ dub from someone on the Bluenote Board. I cannot remember who but thank you!

I was happy when the Rare Groove came out and I could see the great cover art!!

That tune is still one of my favorites and we play it in Organissimo.

Great choice. I have this on vinyl so that means it gets overlooked and doesn't get out that often so it was good to get reaquainted with the set. I love it from the off, the way the drums leap out at you on the high energy opener setting up the groove for the rest of the date. Patton's superb as usual, but when isn't he, Green too. Another Patton classic.

• 1 month later...

man, I picked it up late. a few weeks back at B&N, along with Let Em Roll. I honestly need more time on some of the earlier dates on the Patton Select, but GAGTG, really is very funky. Green and Patton really as others said go for it on all the tunes, and it seems to me that at this time Patton's lines were starting to reflect (as were Larry Young's) the influence/intensity of Trane. In addition, Big John always seemed to have a voice independent of Jimmy Smith, which is nice. My favorite Patton so far I think is "Understanding" though because that greasy mix with the free tenor of Harold Alexander is unique and also extremely funny at the same time. One more thought on GAGTG is that Green sounds very close to Benson on this at times, for my ear.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Old thread, new post. I happened to get the TOCJ of this for a good price, and man I'm glad I did: the sound on this is un-frickin'-believable!!!

I've been listening to this here at work for three hours straight now, and it never tires nor does it let up. In fact, it's what's kept me awake this morning! Kudos to whoever chose this AOTW way back when! :g;)

Nice to see this thread brought up again. Incredible fireworks between Patton and Grant Green on this session. Interesting though to compare this version of 'The Yodel' with the version on Grasella Oliphant's 'Grass Is Greener' LP. The Grassela version is very worthwhile but with nowhere near the same level of drive and impact. Atlantic's low-level recording also doesn't do it too many favours.

'Let Em Roll' has been in very heavy rotation on my car CD player. For my money that one is probably Patton's very best for Blue Note. Gets better every time I hear it - a masterpiece.

Edited by sidewinder

'Let Em Roll' has been in very heavy rotation on my car CD player. For my money that one is probably Patton's very best for Blue Note. Gets better every time I hear it - a masterpiece.

You know it. Between the modal mastery of "Latona" to THE definitive version (IMHO) of "The Shadow of Your Smile," this one is right up there with GAGTG!!!

It's track 5 (can't recall the title at the current time) which really impresses me. Incredible interplay between Hutcherson, Green and Patton, almost like passing the baton in a relay race. Quite rightly, Big John gets the honours with a great second solo before the lead out. Also Big John's very supportive backing to the soloists is superb. An amazing track, perfection really.. :wub:

Edited by sidewinder

I got the entire batch of Rare Groove CDs of which this one was part. I only kept this one and got rid of the rest again. This album has some truly great stuff and I must certainly play it again.

Same here, only that I didn't buy any of the others right away! :g

... spinning this right now. Richie Pablo Landrum, who happened to be an idol of my first conga drum teacher, is freakin' good here! He was an excellent conga player, especially in these grooves between latin, soul and jazz. Here's the only pic I could find, he's in the middle:

taylorlandrumirvine.jpg

CREED TAYLOR, RICHIE LANDRUM and WELDON IRVINE leaving Van Gelder's after Straight Life session - from the CTI website.

Great album. I've had it since the days of vinyl and it's stayed in rotation regularly. I dig the Jazz/R&B nexus and the R&B tunes being played and blown upon.

Sidewinder mentions the Grasella Grass is Greener. It makes an interesting comparison in that there are a couple of the same tunes, but the proof is in the pudding....I play Good Thing a helluva lot more than Grass.

• 15 years later...