Jazz In Paris

king ubu

I'm not REALLY a collector, but with the "Jazz in Paris" series, I really can't help myself. :)

BTW: My JiP page is still up and the revived site (elsewhere) will be up in July.

On that site, things have also been updated considerably.

Old site:

http://livingwithmusic.com/discographies-lists/lists/jazz-in-paris-gitanes-jazz-productions-universal-france/

New site: (NOT available at the moment, but bookmark it anyways):

http://deus62.com/discographies-lists/lists/jazz-in-paris-gitanes-jazz-productions-universal-france/

Once the new site is up, I will redirect all livingwithmusic requests directly to the deus62.com site (nobody will really notice).

P.S.: Don't forget this one: http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Series/Jazz_in_Paris

Cheers!

Gone again for a week or so ...

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone who MIGHT be interested here (I don’t know how many folks still check out this thread), I have listed thru eBay (U.S.), the complete 1st edition run of Jazz In Paris w/ BOTH box sets (the 75/25 sets), as well as the 4 Deluxe 3 CD sets, and all the ones not included ion the 1st 100 CDs on those large sets… Over 150 CDs in all. Brand New). Life circumstances have changed for the worse, and I’m 2/3 of the way thru selling my over 1400 box sets. My loss can be your gain.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=131052359239

Edited by Dave L

buy it now for $1,949.99??? holy smokes! i hope you get it! i was just thinking of letting mine go for less than half that. "thinking" now in the past tense.... btw, did you cut and paste volker's description from 'livingwithmusic' for your item description?

oh, and, uh, "welcome".

Edited by etherbored

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I should have come back earlier with the results, but.. I had it up 3x, and got a few watchers, and a couple of unsolicited offers. I left it on the sidelines for a few weeks, but thru the ended auction, it turns out a guy I've been doing a lot of selling to (I had about 190 Mosaic sets a year ago Aug '12 when I started to unload) and while we were negotiating a large purchase of said Mosaic's we needed to talk together on the phone to finalize it. We hit it off real well, and talked for about 90 minutes or so, when I started pitching him this set. It turned out he was not only familiar with it, but at one point was thinking about about trying to collect it... So he was thrilled to hear that I had it would indeed sell the complete 1st edition run all items brand new. We eventually agreed at $1,500 with me paying the freight.

The ironic part was 2 days later a guy from eBay contacted me. He had set as an eBay Saved Search, "Jazz In Paris", BUT the email didn't arrive in his inbox until the 3 weeks later, just after I sold it. He emailed me after receiving the saved search note for my auction. He had seen the price, and in the email offered to pay full price $1,950), if I'd re-list it. He had a copy of the 25 CD set, and wanted to buy my entire set, and then try selling his 25 CD set on eBay.

He specialized in collection full series type stuff). So after I apologized and told him it was gone, he asked me if I had any other types of HTF full collections. As that was one of my OCD traits (Collecting an entire series like this), I offered him 3 such collections which he ended up buying over the course of a few weeks.

You have to understand that all 3 of these were mainly OOP. Many items went for in the $4-&7 range, many were between $8 - 15, and then each set had its own particulars of the several very hard to find at a decent cost, or the HTF at ANY cost. Including shipping for each single purchase of course makes it more expensive. 50 CDs shipping at an average of $3 - $4 adds $150 to $200 for the price of the collection. And then when you get to the last few discs you're missing, and either can't find them or are not willing to pay $100.00 for way, you wait, keep looking, and the next time you find one of the last few you're willing to go pretty high, so it all adds up.

But that's the Story of... and That's the Glory of..Collecting.

Live at The Maybeck: a series of Live Solo Piano (Concord Jazz), by almost every well-known jazz pianist performed alone in the acoustically great Maybeck. The complete series included another 12 Duos (8 piano/bass, 2 piano/guitar, 1 piano/piano, and 1 piano/sax), 54 releases in all PLUS a very limited edition rare OOP 4 CD Box, containing Vols 1 - 4, which was released to announce the beginning of the series (which was open ended initially) The 4 CDs contained within are also provided in its regular single CD release as well.

All the $ figures show what I paid for the title and the S&H amount charged for each disc

This complete set sold for $790.00, once again making a very few $'s, but having the ripped Flac/MP3 files to listen to

Maybeck Recital Hall - Solo Joanne Brackeen Dave McKenna Dick Hyman Walter Norris Stanley Cowell Hal Galper John Hicks Gerry Wiggins Marian McPartland Kenny Barron Roger Kellaway Barry Harris Steve Kuhn Alan Broadbent Buddy Montgomery Hank Jones Jaki Byard Mike Wofford Richie Beirach Jim McNeely Jessica Williams Ellis Larkins Gene Harris Adam Makowicz Cedar Walton Bill Mays Denny Zeitlin Andy LaVerne John Campbell Ralph Sutton Fred Hersch Roland Hanna Don Friedman Kenny Werner George Cables Toshiko Akiyoshi John Colianni Ted Rosenthal Kenny Drew, Jr. Monty Alexander Allen Farnham James Williams The Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 1-4 Box Set Maybeck Recital Hall - Duo Roger Kellaway & Red Mitchell Dave McKenna & Gray Sargent Ken Peplowski & Howard Alden Alan Broadbent & Gary Foster Adam Makowicz & George Mraz Ralph Sutton & Dick Hyman Bill Mays & Ed Bickert Denny Zeitlin & David Friesen Michael Moore & Bill Charlap Chris Potter & Kenny Werner Hal Galper & Jeff Johnson

TOTAL $ 573.58 $ 148.97 $ 722.55

Charly Blues Masterworks: 50 CDs of all the Greats, PLUS a very rare, sealed 4 CD Sampler Box which was a promo for the series.

He bought this one from me $525.00 total (close to break even, a little ahead. I had my fun of collection, then rip all this music to flac/mp3

CHARLY BLUES MASTERWORKS SERIES $ 319.92 $ 150.42 $ 470.34

CHARLY BLUES MASTERWORKS SERIES GUITAR JUNIOR ALBERT KING/OTIS RUSH JIMMY ROGERS JOHN MAYALL'S BLUESBREAKERS W/ WALTER TROUT HOWLIN' WOLF CLARENCE 'GATEMOUTH' BROWN JOHN LEE HOOKER LIGHTNIN' HOPKINS WALTER 'WOLFMAN' WASHINGTON MUDDY WATERS BUDDY GUY ELMORE JAMES ROBERT JOHNSON T-BONE WALKER MUDDY WATER, BUDDY GUY, HOWLIN WOLF et al ROBERT CRAY JIMMY REED ALBERT KING JOHN LEE HOOKER ERIC CLAPTON, JEFF BECK JIMMY PAGE MEMPHIS SLIM SONNY BOY WILLIAMSON LITTLE WALTER OTIS RUSH JIMMY WITHERSPOON THE SUPER, SUPER BLUES BAND (See Vol 15) BUDDY GUY ELMORE JAMES MAGIC SAM HOWLIN' WOLF BESSIE SMITH VARIOUS ARTISTS LIGHTNIN' HOPKINS BILLY BOY ARNOLD EDDIE TAYLOR FRANK FROST LUTHER ALLISON JOHN LEE HOOKER MUDDY WATERS CHAMPION JACK DUPREE FENTON ROBINSON EDDIE BOYD BO DIDDLEY WILLIE MABON JOHN LEE HOOKER HOWLIN' WOLF J.B. LENOIR LOWELL FULSON BIG BILL BROONZY ARTHUR 'BIG BOY' CRUDUP

Verve LPR Series (LP Reproduction): The Complete 114 CD containing all remastered for this set, of a tremendous cross-section of the best Jazz Verve had to offer. They all came with an OBI-type insert w/ some addn'l info about that particular CD. The first 30 were indeeed Repro Cardboard LP w/ rice paper for the CD, and a pull-out set of liner notes. The last 84 were switched over to a Digi-pak container.

Purchased in about 2008, in a single transaction for about $550.00

Count Basie: King Of Swing
Willie Bobo: A New Dimension
Dave Brubeck & Paul Desmond: 1975: The Duets
Rosemary Clooney: Swing Around Rosie
Alice Coltrane: Universal Consciousness
Ella Fitzgerald: Whisper Not
Stan Getz: Stan Getz And The Cool Sounds
Astrud Gilberto: The Shadow Of Your Smile
Dizzy Gillespie: Afro
Woody Herman: Woody Herman 1963
Stan Kenton: The Formative Years
Carmen McRae: Birds Of A Feather
Sergio Mendes & Brasil ’66: Equinox
Wes Montgomery: Willow Weep For Me
Gerry Mulligan and the Concert Jazz Band: At The Village Vanguard
Anita O'Day: Incomparable!
Oscar Peterson: Soul Español
Mel Tormé: Olé Tormé
Sarah Vaughan: It´s A Man's World
Margaret Whiting: Margaret Whiting Sings The Jerome Kern Songbook
Ernestine Anderson: My Kinda Swing
Buddy De Franco: Mr. Clarinet
Slim Gaillard: Slim Gaillard Rides Again
Terry Gibbs: Plays Jewish Melodies In Jazztime
Gigi Gryce-Donald Byrd Jazz Laboratory & The Cecil Taylor Quartet: At Newport
The Jazztet: The Jazztet At The Birdhouse
Sam Rivers: Crystals
Lalo Schifrin: Piano, Strings And Bossa Nova
Sister Rosetta Tharpe: Gospel Train
Cal Tjader: Soul Bird: Whiffenproof
Dorothy Ashby: Afro-Harping
Albert Ayler: Music Is The Healing Force of the Universe
Ray Brown: Jazz Cello
Buddie Emmons: Steel Guitar Jazz
Jim Hall: Live!
Earl Hines: Once Upon A Time
Steve Kuhn & Gary McFarland: The October Suite
Pee Wee Russell: Ask Me Now!
Archie Shepp: Attica Blues
Gabor Szabo: High Contrast
Cannonball Adderley: Julian "Cannonball" Adderley
Stan Getz: Reflections
Jimmy Giuffre: The Easy Way
John Klemmer: Involvement
Lee Konitz: Motion
Billy Mitchell: This Is Billy Mitchell
Gerry Mulligan/Johnny Hodges: Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges
Sonny Stitt: New York Jazz
Phil Woods And His European Rhythm Machine: At The Montreux Jazz Festival
Brook Benton: Songs I Love To Sing
Kenny Burrell: Have Yourself A Soulful Little Christmas
Blossom Dearie: My Gentleman Friend
Frank D'Rone: After The Ball
Ella Fitzgerald: Sings Sweet Songs For Swingers
Al Grey: Snap Your Fingers
JJ Johnson: JJ's Broadway
Hugh Masekela: grrr
Buddy Rich & Harry “Sweets” Edison: Buddy And Sweets
Jack Teagarden: Mis'ry And The Blues
Mel Tormé: Tormé
Mel Brown: Chicken Fat
Gloria Coleman: Soul Sisters
John Frigo: I Love John Frigo...He Swings
Roger Kellaway: Cello Quartet
Yusef Lateef: The Golden Flute
Lyle Ritz: How About Uke?
Tony Scott: Tony Scott
Archie Shepp: The Cry Of My People
Stuff Smith: Cat On A Hot Fiddle
Clark Terry/Chico O'Farrill: Spanish Rice
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers: ‘S Make It
Candido Camero: Candido
Johnny Griffin: J G
Illinois Jacquet: Desert Winds
Roland Kirk: Kirk In Copenhagen
Machito: Vacation At The Concord
James Moody: James Moody
Dave Pike: Manhattan Latin
Patato & Totico: Patato & Totico
Sonny Stitt: Personal Appearance
Lorez Alexandria: Alexandria The Great
Freddy Cole: Waiter, Ask The Man To Play The Blues
Blossom Dearie: Soubrette Sings Broadway Hit Songs
Bill Evans: California, Here I Come
Ella Fitzgerald: Hello Love
Ahmad Jamal: Chamber Music Of The New Jazz
Ramsey Lewis: Another Voyage
Sergio Mendes & Brasil ’66: The Fool On The Hill
Oscar Peterson: A Jazz Portrait Of Frank Sinatra
Jimmy Smith: The Boss
Al Cohn: Al Cohn Quintet Featuring Bob Brookmeyer
Xavier Cugat: Cugi's Cocktails
Harry Edison: Sweets
Dizzy Gillespie: Sittin' In
Gene Krupa: Plays Gerry Mulligan Arrangements
Joe Newman Quintet: At Count Basie's
Buddy Rich: Blues Caravan
Max Roach: Jazz In 3/4 Time
Ernie Andrews: This is Ernie Andrews
Ella Fitzgerald: Hello, Dolly!
Milton Nascimento: Courage
Marlena Shaw: The Spice of Life
Jimmy Smith: Stay Loose
Sarah Vaughan: After Hours at the London House
Dinah Washington: I Wanna Be Loved
Jimmy Witherspoon & Brother Jack McDuff: The Blues is Now
Albert Ayler: New Grass
Gato Barbieri: Chapter Four: Alive in New York
Yusef Lateef: Psychicemotus
Oliver Nelson: Live From Los Angeles
Freda Payne: After the Lights Go Down Low and Much More!!!
Pharaoh Sanders: Elevation
Gabor Szabo: Spellbinder
Michael White: The Land of Spirit and Light

If you're still with me down here, my guess is you have collecting "tendencies". The fact I'm selling everything due to divorce, and a plan to move from my home of 20 years in San Diego, perhaps even internationally called for drastic changes. I LOVED buying LPs back in the day (I did have a massive LP collection at one pont, and when that was sold off, I thought I would never get back into it. I did so by1994 w/ CDs, very slowly then decided to go crazy for several years by focusing on Box sets. I think that's one area that will continue to gain in value, as the regular CD diminishes. There will ALWAYS be Collectors like me in every generation, who will want the rare HTF top quality jazz, blues, rock etc and they will continue to get harder to find.

Regards All, and sorry if I took to much time/bandwidth. :w

PS Please feel free to write or offer thoughts.

Edited by Dave L