Jazz In Paris

king ubu

Have fun with these!

Some good ones, you have picked up!

Don't forget to add the other Donald Byrd disc to your list. They both come from the same concert - and I love them! Walter Davis and Bobby Jaspar are great musicians, whose fame could be a little wider spread in my opinion.

The Clarke, Criss and Thomas are favorites of mine. There's a second one by Thomas, and as a companion to the Criss, look at Saxophones at Saint-Germain des Pres. That one has tracks by Criss, Hubert Fol and Michel de Villers - the Fol tracks are sublime!

ubu

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have fun with these!

Some good ones, you have picked up!

Don't forget to add the other Donald Byrd disc to your list. They both come from the same concert - and I love them! Walter Davis and Bobby Jaspar are great musicians, whose fame could be a little wider spread in my opinion.

The Clarke, Criss and Thomas are favorites of mine. There's a second one by Thomas, and as a companion to the Criss, look at Saxophones at Saint-Germain des Pres. That one has tracks by Criss, Hubert Fol and Michel de Villers - the Fol tracks are sublime!

ubu

Thanks for the recs, ubu!

Totally agree with Jaspar and Thomas: superb and highly underrated musicians.

I was shocked when I heard "The real cat" when it came out. Since then Thomas is in my list of favorite guitarrists!

I have "Jeux de quartes" and "Modern jazz au club st.-germain" by Jaspar and I enjoy them a lot! I also like his work with Chet Baker ("Somewhere over the rainbow" -Bluebird- is the one I´d pick!) and his playing on Wynton Kelly´s "Kelly blue".

PS: I DO KNOW some day I will own the 101 CDs!

I've got about 17 of these and ones I really enjoy consistently are the Don Byas ones, especially Bebop, and Sonny Criss. The sound, at least to me, is excellent, and the price darn reasonable.

Amazon France ships reasonably quickly and has or has had these in stock (although shipping can be rather expensive).

That is a very handy list to have. Thank you Roi Ubu ;)

The Jazz in Paris series is one of the best reissue achievements. The photos on the album covers heve been beautifully selected. The sound has been improved on most of the CDs I have heard. I had quite a number of the LP original issues of the series but I purchased several of the Jazz in Paris CDs because  of the improved sound.

The ones I initally purchased were the Lucky Thompson, the Sonny Criss, the post-WWII Django Reinhardt, the Don Byas albums which appeared early in the series.

One CD I also got as soon as it came out was nr. 20 Harold Nicholas/June Richmond/Andy Bey which had two tracks from the very rare Andy Bey Fontana EP where Bey had Kenny Dorham, Barney Wilen, Paul Rovere and Kenny Clarke in the background group.

Also the Bernard Peiffer albums were on my Must Have list and were added to the collection. Nobody should miss out on Peiffer, a great forgotten pianist.

When one of the stores here had most of the CDs at just a little bit over 4 euros each. I got more from the series.

Would like to add one recommendation:

- vol. 54 'Clarinettes a Saint-Germain des Pres which feature Hubert Rostaing and Maurice Meunier. Meunier is another forgotten French musician that needs reappraisal. Rostaing and Meunier played clarinet with Django Reinhardt.

Meunier also appears in the lineup for the Lionel Hampton and his French New Sounds CDs (vol. 44 and 45).

Also the Bernard Peiffer albums were on my Must Have list and were added to the collection. Nobody should miss out on Peiffer, a great forgotten pianist

Bernard Peiffer made a little 45RPM EP disc , I think in 1956, which included a tune named "Prelude et Fugue on Lullabies of Birdland".

Abbsolutely smashing : this guy really knew how to master the keyboard...Anybody has any idea whether this is still available or reissued..?

Edited by michel devos

I've got 55 of these buggers, just did a tally and was surprised at how many there were. But at the bargain price, with 24-bit remasterings that are generally superbly done, they're worth it and there are more on my radar screen. A fantastic reissue series.

Some of my favorite of the more obscure titles:

66 Raymond Fol les 4 saisons - Johnny Griffin in great form as a key featured soloist. It doesn't sound much like The Four Seasons to me, but that's not such a bad thing either.

81 Elek Bacsik nuages. Too bad he eventually turned away from jazz.

86 Gerard Badini the swing machine - apt title, really great stuff with Sam Woodyard on drums

88 Gus Viseur de clinchy à broadway - fantastic, an accordionist (I bought this really expecting not to like it but LOVED it)

Edited by DrJ

I'm also a great fan of the serie. I have about 60 of them.

Only one minor mistake in the reissue department who made them.....they should have included the original cover art somewhere inside the booklet.

Great sound and nice photo's of 50-60's Paris so no complaint about that.

I might be able to get the Broken Wing-Chet Baker from the store I work for if someone is interested in it. Mail me at bluebevervoorde@hotmail.com

Cheers,

Reinier

I picked up Broken Wing a few weeks ago.

If someone is interested in it, I could burn it and send it by mail.

Shipping costs are on me ;) (excepted if there are hundreds of requests) :D:D:D

Contact me via PM (my computer at home has been seriously damaged and that´s why I can´t use my personal e-mail)

Bernard Peiffer made a little 45RPM EP disc , I think in 1956, which included a tune named "Prelude et Fugue on Lullabies of Birdland".

Abbsolutely smashing : this guy really knew how to master the keyboard...Anybody has any idea whether this is still available or reissued..?

The Prelude and Fugue EP you mention was excerpted from the 1958 Decca album 'The Astounding Bernard Peiffer', the first of three hard-to-get albums Peiffer recorded for Decca after moving to the United States.

All three are worth looking for. They were never reissued.

Peiffer was indeed an amazing pianist

Anybody familar with the Jean-Luc Ponty disc in this series? Any info about would be helpful, opinions, style he's playing etc.

Thanks

Greg

I love it! It's quite modern small group stuff. Not in the Grappelli vein.

Some very able sidemen. Michel Portal makes his recording debut there.

Would have to listen again to make more elaborate comments.

ubu

Just picked up these

Willie "the Lion" Smith - Music on my mind

Chet Baker- Broken Wing

both pretty good, the Baker will have greater staying power but The Lion sounds excellent , not too flashy or overly exuberant, just a nice slice of quality stride piano ( but not much else). Recording quality of both is excellent.

I only have half a dozen of these and I really need to get some more .. :wacko::D

Just playing in the car this morning two gems from the series. 'Le Jazz Groupe de Paris joue Andre Hodeir' (sounds like Birth of the Cool Part 2) and the Lou Bennett 'Pentacostal Feeling' (this one just oozes with greeze..) Will schedule some playings for the Zoot Sims/Henri Renaud, Slide Hampton 'Exodus', 'Byrd in Paris' and Blakey 'Paris Jam Session'.

:tup

Edited by sidewinder

Just playing in the car this morning two gems from the series. 'Le Jazz Groupe de Paris joue Andre Hodeir' (sounds like Birth of the Cool Part 2)

That´s the same I thought when I heard "Kenny Clarke´s sextet plays André Hodeir" (Jazz in Paris 39). BTW, a very good disc, revisiting classics written by Monk (3), Dameron, Ellington, Miles, Mulligan, Carter & Bags, plus three originals by Hodeir.

Klook accompanied by Hubert Rostaing (as); Róger Guérin (t); Billy Byers (or Nat Peck) (tb); Armand Migiani (bs); Martial Solal (or René Urtreger) (p); Pierre Michelot (or Jean Warland) (B). All the arrangements by André Hodeir

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

May I recommend number 49 of the series, the Jazz & Cinema, volume 1 which includes the Barney Wilen-Kenny Dorham-Duke Jordan score for the film 'Un Temoin Dans La Ville'? The remastering to that excellent soundtrack music is superb. The volume also includes the music Alain Goraguer wrote for the film 'J'Irai Cracher sur Vos Tombes'. A horrible film which was based on the spoof mystery novel by author, singer/composer and jazz critic/producer Boris Vian. Vian died in 1959 of a heart attack at a private screening of the film, obviously in shock after seeing the treatment his book got. The Goraguer score is however excellent jazz parody music with solos by people like Roger Guerin, Georges Grenu and vibraphonist Michel Hausser. Goraguer was one of the main music arranger for Vian and Serge Gainsbourg.

Possibly in need of his own thread but I was on a bit of a Gainsbourg rant a while back and have the J et C discs as well as these Mercury comps:

246843.jpg246842.jpg

f65352fsif2.jpg

Would you all have any recommendations or favorites for this genre that is most leaning to the Les Loups, Strip Tease etc...I just can't seem to warm up to much of Gainsbourg's later pop / psychedelic cinema work but his afro-cuban grooves kill me. Also are there more jazz leaning sides from his alliances (er liasons) with les femmes that come to mind as essential (while i know those early Jane Birkin lp covers would be)? :wub:

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Just playing in the car this morning two gems from the series. 'Le Jazz Groupe de Paris joue Andre Hodeir' (sounds like Birth of the Cool Part 2)

That´s the same I thought when I heard "Kenny Clarke´s sextet plays André Hodeir" (Jazz in Paris 39). BTW, a very good disc, revisiting classics written by Monk (3), Dameron, Ellington, Miles, Mulligan, Carter & Bags, plus three originals by Hodeir.

Klook accompanied by Hubert Rostaing (as); Róger Guérin (t); Billy Byers (or Nat Peck) (tb); Armand Migiani (bs); Martial Solal (or René Urtreger) (p); Pierre Michelot (or Jean Warland) (B). All the arrangements by André Hodeir

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Minor point re the Andre Hodeir/Jazz Groupe de Paris CD. There is a mistake (a rare one from the Jazz in Paris people) in the personnel listing. Armand Migiani who is listed as playing piano is in fact the barytone saxophonist heard throughout the album. The mistake was also in the Tom Lord discography.

The liner notes to the original Vega LP have Migiani (he is mispelled Mijiani there) playing barytone.

There is no piano heard in the album.

I knew about the Migiani mistake. But, brownie, it seems to me the personnel listing on the Klook disc is not really consistent, either. You happen to have the correct listings per track? I don't have it at hand, but as I remember, there are tracks were more horns than listed are actually playing.

ubu

I knew about the Migiani mistake. But, brownie, it seems to me the personnel listing on the Klook disc is not really consistent, either. You happen to have the correct listings per track? I don't have it at hand, but as I remember, there are tracks were more horns than listed are actually playing.

ubu

Will check with the LP issue. Don't have the Jazz in Paris reissue.

But, brownie, it seems to me the personnel listing on the Klook disc is not really consistent, either. You happen to have the correct listings per track? I don't have it at hand, but as I remember, there are tracks were more horns than listed are actually playing.

:o I should listen to my records more carefully! Only listened to it once, but I didn´t notice this mistake.