Jazz In Paris

king ubu

I knew about the Migiani mistake. But, brownie, it seems to me the personnel listing on the Klook disc is not really consistent, either. You happen to have the correct listings per track? I don't have it at hand, but as I remember, there are tracks were more horns than listed are actually playing.

ubu

There were three sessions for the Kenny Clarke Plays Hodeir album.

Roger Guerin, Nat Peck, Billy Byers, Rene Urtreger, Pierre Michelot, Kenny Clarke. Paris, October 26, 1956

ROUND MIDNIGHT

WHEN LIGHTS ARE LOW

Martial Solal replaces Urtreger, same session

ON A RIFF

Billy Byers, Hubert Rostaing, Armand Migiani, Martial Solal, Jean Warland, Kenny Clarke.

Paris, November 21, 1956

OBLIQUE

JERU

ERONEL

TAHITI

Roger Guerin, Billy Byers, Armand Migiani, Martial Solal, Jean Warland, Kenny Clarke.

Paris, November 30, 1956

BEMSHA SWING

BLUE SERGE

SWING SPRING

THE SQUIRREL

CADENZE

Don't have the Jazz in Paris reissue. If the name Robert Guismath (or Guisnath)appears on the liner notes for an alto sax player (the name was used on US issues of the original LP), this was a nom de plume for Rostaing.

Rostaing recorded under that name on a couple of Hodeir sessions.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these are proving quite hard to find , most are not now distributed in the UK and I have little luck with varoius online retailers. Even amazon.fr lists all of the series as being unavailable. i have ordered two peiffer discs, the second Hodeir and one other through amazon in Germany so fingers crossed.

Any other European sources online for these. Incidently HMV in Edinbrgh had a copy of "Broken Wing" by Chet Baker (£6.99) when I was in the other day.

There were three sessions for the Kenny Clarke Plays Hodeir album.

If the name Robert Guismath (or Guisnath)appears on the liner notes for an alto sax player (the name was used on US issues of the original LP), this was a nom de plume for Rostaing.

Rostaing recorded under that name on a couple of Hodeir sessions.

I have a 1988 facsimile Lp reissue by Polygram France, which doesn't even mention Rostaing (or Guisnath) anywhere in the liner notes or credits. Otherwise the credits are identical to the ones brownie posted.

BTW, Migiani is credited for playing "basse saxo"!!!

amazon.de seems to be a possible way to go. They still list 65 hits for a "jazz in paris" search.

ubu

Not to discourage you, but my experience is that Amazon.de is very slow in updating their files as far as unvailability of CDs is concerned. They stop backordering after some time and do not notice a title is deleted until someone orders them. This happened to me several times ... :(

amazon.de seems to be a possible way to go. They still list 65 hits for a "jazz in paris" search.

ubu

Not to discourage you, but my experience is that Amazon.de is very slow in updating their files as far as unvailability of CDs is concerned. They stop backordering after some time and do not notice a title is deleted until someone orders them. This happened to me several times ... :(

I know this! Hell I know :( I'm still waiting for some orders to be deleted...

Yet it might be worth a try.

ubu

Another remarkable one is René Urtreger joue Bud Powell. René Urtreger with Benoit Quersin ( b ) and Jean-Louis Viale ( d ). Recorded February 24, 1955 at the Pathé-Magelian studio, Paris.

Six Powell covers and two originals. One of my favorite "Parisian thoroughfare" versions.

The only regretable thing is the CD length: less than 25 minutes!

Edited by EKE BBB

Another remarkable one is René Urtreger joue Bud Powell. René Urtreger with Benoit Quersin ( b ) and Jean-Louis Viale ( d ). Recorded February 24, 1955 at the Pathé-Magelian studio, Paris.

Six Powell covers and two originals. One of my favorite "Parisian thoroughfare" versions.

The only regretable thing is the CD length: less than 25 minutes!

Unfortubately, that seems to be the case for most of the cd's of this serie I own : average program time is around 35 minutes....Not really a bargain :(

Unfortubately, that seems to be the case for most of the cd's of this serie I own : average program time is around 35 minutes....Not really a bargain :(

It's often nice to leave the table just a bit hungry.

I own (owned! heh heh heh B) ) the 75 CD set and the title that I've gone back to again and again is volume 41: Porgy & Bess - with Eddy Louiss on organ and arrangements by Ivan Julien - recorded in 1971.

Clocking in at under 40 minutes, there's not a bit of fat or gristle on this one.

Highly recommended.

vol_41_013.039-2.jpg

I've got about 17 of these and ones I really enjoy consistently are the Don Byas ones, especially Bebop, and Sonny Criss.  The sound, at least to me, is excellent, and the price darn reasonable.

Amazon France ships reasonably quickly and has or has had these in stock (although shipping can be rather expensive). 

That is a very handy list to have.  Thank you Roi Ubu ;)

Brad,

Can you tell us details about the Sonny Criss #23 Mr Blues pour Flirter...I'm desperately looking for it in Brussels and Paris, but it appears to be sold out everywhere.If really worthwile, I'd go to get it from CD universe, but that makes it a bit pricy...

Thks for your comments :rolleyes:

Can you tell us details about the Sonny Criss #23 Mr Blues pour Flirter...I'm desperately looking for it in Brussels and Paris, but it appears to be sold out everywhere.If really worthwile, I'd go to get it from CD universe, but that makes it a bit pricy...

The Criss is a soild effort with plenty to enjoy it's a quintet with guitar , bass, drums, piano/ organ . Very well recorded. The French studios really seem to have got their act together by this point (1963) There is an additional Criss session on the JiP "Saxophones from St Germain..." set.

I wouldnt go out of my way to get hold of "Mr Blues pour..." as it really shares allot in common with other Criss session more readily available such as the Alladin 2CD set.

UBU, thanks for starting this thread, and bringing a very worthwhile series to our notice. I have about 16 of the titles, and they are all quite enjoyable. I second many of the comments already made. One I'd like to give an honorable mention to, don't think it has been mentioned, is Max Roach, "Parisian Sketches," (#96 in the series) with Tommy Turrentine on trumpet, Julian Priester on trombone, Stanley Turrentine on tenor, Bob Boswell (don't know more about him) on bass, and Max on drums (of course). A really nice set, and I like the musical sketches Max wrote for the set, based on Parisian sites.

Can anyone comment on "Louis Armstrong The Best Live Concert" (Vols. 1 & 2 ), and "Oscar Peterson featuring Stephane Grappelli" (Vols. 1 &2)?

Are these among the better performances by LA and OP? How does Grappelli fit with OP?

Also, anyone care to comment on the general style or approach to jazz demonstrated by the French musicians on these CDs? Can one attribute a certain style or approach to them? In those sessions where French musicians sit in with American jazz players, do the French bring an identifiable quality to the sessions? For myself, I think there is a certain Gallic order and wit to the playing, a desire to balance improv with structure.

One I'd like to give an honorable mention to, don't think it has been mentioned, is Max Roach, "Parisian Sketches," (#96 in the series) with Tommy Turrentine on trumpet, Julian Priester on trombone, Stanley Turrentine on tenor, Bob Boswell (don't know more about him) on bass, and Max on drums (of course). A really nice set, and I like the musical sketches Max wrote for the set, based on Parisian sites.

Thanks for the recommendation, Leeway. I didn't know that one.

Thks for your comments :rolleyes:

Michel, knowing you're an organ fan, I'd hunt that Criss down! You get Georges Arvanitas playing organ (and piano) there! I don't have the disc at hand, but I like it very much! And yes, get the Saxophones disc, too, if you like Criss. You get some more Arvanitas on organ (and piano, again), and besides a nice session by the Michel de Villers Octet, you get three sublime Hubert Fol tracks.

ubu

Can you tell us details about the Sonny Criss #23  Mr Blues pour Flirter...I'm desperately looking for it in Brussels and Paris, but it appears to be sold out everywhere.If really worthwile, I'd go to get it from CD universe, but that makes it a bit pricy...

The Criss is a soild effort with plenty to enjoy it's a quintet with guitar , bass, drums, piano/ organ . Very well recorded. The French studios really seem to have got their act together by this point (1963) There is an additional Criss session on the JiP "Saxophones from St Germain..." set.

I wouldnt go out of my way to get hold of "Mr Blues pour..." as it really shares allot in common with other Criss session more readily available such as the Alladin 2CD set.

One of the original issues of that Criss material from Paris even included one track from his Imperial sessions, mistitled etc.

There was a nice Fresh Sound box set in the 1980's with the complete Paris Criss sessions, it would easily have fitted on one CD!

The Max Roach is, of course, part of the Mosaic set.

Porgy & Bess - with Eddy Louiss on organ and arrangements by Ivan Julien - recorded in 1971.

I'm not surprised : one of my favorites is 'Bohemia after Dark' by the same Eddy Louiss(vol.35)...I rush out this afternoon to get a copy of this Porgy and Bess :lol:

Good man! I really think you'll like this one a great deal.

:tup

Porgy & Bess - with Eddy Louiss on organ and arrangements by Ivan Julien - recorded in 1971.

:

Just picked the Louiss up, different from Mile's interpretation !!!

Not really had much of chance to take it in but it's clearly not the fondue material that I might have feared. :lol:

Bernar Peiffer;

Just found a very battered copy of JiP "La vie en rose", curious stylist really , half way between Teddy Wilson and touches of Powell. He has some rather flowery touches here and there in the manner of Red Garland but these are redeemed by some genuinely arresting takes on thems such as "Caravan". For those who buy their music by the kilo it's over 65 mins long. ^_^

Worth picking up.

Edited by Clunky