king ubu

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Some more CDs appearing in the Jazz in Paris series...

316Ycx-4JeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg41HeM06am-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41JwAqTwJ5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg412Otod%2BfEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

31uWZq%2BF1SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

also for the umpteenth time: Miles Davis Ascenseur pour l'Echafaud plus a couple of others...

Nothing about these reissues on the Universal France website.

Edited by brownie

316Ycx-4JeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg41HeM06am-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41JwAqTwJ5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg412Otod%2BfEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

31uWZq%2BF1SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

also for the umpteenth time: Miles Davis Ascenseur pour l'Echafaud plus a couple of others...

Any Nathan Davis is most welcome although this polydor LP has had one or two CD issues already

Very curious about these, particularly if they will have these covers (even inside the booklet) or will be more standardized. So there is not overlap with the existing series?

Jazz sur Seine sure sounds familiar. Pretty sure that I already have the Blakey, though I would be up for the other 3 (and Jazz sur Seine if it doesn't duplicate anything I already have).

Yes, these are just more of the "collector's edition", it seems - there have been 30 or so of them, discussed further up in this thread... cheap if you go for the jewel case versions (5€ or some) and more expensive if you opt for the (nice, four-fold) digipacks.

The Davis I'll definitely grab, and call me crazy, but I might go for the Wilen again, just for the cover!

And Eric, in case you're interested: do some reading further up, most of these tend to be rather shorter than the previous issues (which coupled some albums or added some EPs etc, while these new ones stick to presenting the contents of original albums - hence the original cover art). There where were a few of the first batch that had new music, in the case of "Les tricheurs" even never before released music. All details further up in this thread!

Yes, these are just more of the "collector's edition", it seems - there have been 30 or so of them, discussed further up in this thread... cheap if you go for the jewel case versions (5€ or some) and more expensive if you opt for the (nice, four-fold) digipacks.

The Davis I'll definitely grab, and call me crazy, but I might go for the Wilen again, just for the cover!

And Eric, in case you're interested: do some reading further up, most of these tend to be rather shorter than the previous issues (which coupled some albums or added some EPs etc, while these new ones stick to presenting the contents of original albums - hence the original cover art). There where were a few of the first batch that had new music, in the case of "Les tricheurs" even never before released music. All details further up in this thread!

Yes, I did look at the time and ended up ordering Jazz Boom and passing on the rest.* So I will probably just get the Nathan Davis. I am in no position to order duplicates right now, even though some of these covers are tres chic.

*I managed to get a different version of Les tricheurs and it's true I probably ended up missing a couple of tracks but I decided I could live with that...

Edited by ejp626

Here is the cover of the 'new' reissue of the Miles Davis soundtrack to 'Ascenseur pour l'Echafaud' (the first release of the ten-inch Fontana France LP looked exactly like that);

0602527667355.jpg

Four more reissues from the series:

0602527667386.jpg0602527667362.jpg

41UpfPjzuKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg41J6fzN-qUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Have not seen any other releases from the series!

• 2 weeks later...

Some of these new titles have appeared at Dusty Groove.

I picked up the Nathan Davis. I saw the Blakey and the Art Simmons. They may have had more. If I am reading everything correctly, the first 7 tracks on the Art Simmons are on the JiP release Piano aux Champs Elysees, but then there are 8 or so bonus tracks including "Rock n' Roll" and "Black Coffee." I can't track down if they have been out in another format, so currently I am leaning towards ordering the new Simmons release as well.

With a little digging, now it appears the bonus tracks may have come out (as bonus tracks) on the CD Simply Heavenly: http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Heavenly-Original-Broadway-Tracks/dp/B0012GJFQ6/ref=cm_rdp_product

Probably makes more sense with the Simmons CD, but I'll have to think about it a bit more now.

Interesting, didn't notice about the additional material on the Simmons yet (but didn't do a track-by-track comparison of the latest batch yet).

Not entirely sure, but perhaps the Grappelli Sextet is also new to the JiP series. There are a few Oscar Peterson/Grappelli collaborations but as quartets not a sextet. I'll definitely take a closer look when Dusty Groove gets this in stock.

Now this is getting even more interesting. The Night Session in Paris with Zoot Sims and Henri Renaud is this one obviously: Zoot Sims Et Henri Renaud. But DG mentions there is another session from 1956 that includes tracks with Jon Eardley on trumpet and Henri Renaud on piano. It certainly sounds like Zoot Sims: Americans Swinging in Paris, which would be the first time these two series met (I think). Well, if that is the case, I won't be getting this, as much as I like the cover, since I have both these sessions already.

Interesting, didn't notice about the additional material on the Simmons yet (but didn't do a track-by-track comparison of the latest batch yet).

Not entirely sure, but perhaps the Grappelli Sextet is also new to the JiP series. There are a few Oscar Peterson/Grappelli collaborations but as quartets not a sextet. I'll definitely take a closer look when Dusty Groove gets this in stock.

The Grappelli was out as "The Nearness of You", the one-off that appeared a while after the original JiP series had stopped!

Now this is getting even more interesting. The Night Session in Paris with Zoot Sims and Henri Renaud is this one obviously: Zoot Sims Et Henri Renaud. But DG mentions there is another session from 1956 that includes tracks with Jon Eardley on trumpet and Henri Renaud on piano. It certainly sounds like Zoot Sims: Americans Swinging in Paris, which would be the first time these two series met (I think). Well, if that is the case, I won't be getting this, as much as I like the cover, since I have both these sessions already.

That's weird... and unlikely. EMI owns the material that was on the "Americans Swinging in Paris" series, while the whole JiP material comes from Universal's vaults. Got to check this...

The new one: http://www.amazon.fr/Zoot-Sims-Henri-Renaud-Orchestre/dp/B0045R749O/

The cover says "Ducretet-Thomson"... and that's indeed the one that was out as "The Brother" in the Americans Swinging in Paris series (here: http://www.amazon.fr/Zoot-Sims-Americans-Swinging-Digipack/dp/B000065BSD/)

The old JiP one, for reference: http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B000051TKK/

That is super weird!

I was always assuming Ducretet-Thomson recordings belong to the EMI ownings... maybe brownie knows more?

If the JiP crew has access there, what else could they bring to the fore that has not appeared in the Americans Swinging in Paris series?

Addition/correction to Zoot/Renaud:

The Ducretet-Thomson album as linked above, with seven tracks (here) ist just MP3... the CD version has eleven tracks, adding the Zoot/Renaud date (#1-4) from the old JiP disc (here) - the new CD version is thus this one:

41%2ByQrrk4nL._SS500_.jpg

Again:

#1-4 have been on JiP #25

#5-11 represent the Ducretet-Thomson album previously out in the "Americans Swinging in Paris" series.

in a nutshell, the second batch (#31-40) of the Collector's Edition seems to be:

Art Blakey - Olympia Concert (#69)

Art Simmons Quartet (#61 + 8 new tracks)

Barney Wilen - Jazz sur Seine (#26)

Blue Stars - Pardon My English (#19, adding the Blue Stars EP from #94, but omitting the Henri Salvador-EP from #19)

Eddy Louiss - Orgue (new)

Memphis Slim / Willie Dixon aux Trois Mailletz (#36)

Miles Davis - Ascenseur pour l'echafaud (#3)

Nathan Davis - Rules of Freedom (new)

Stephane Grappelli et son sextette (#113)

Zoot Sims & Henri Renaud - Night Session in Paris (#1-4 from #25 and the afore-mentioned Ducretet-Thomson album from the "Americans Swinging in Paris" series)

the first batch was:

Art Blakey - Paris Jam Session (#40)

Bernard Peiffer - Piano Et Rythmes (#93 - titled "Plays Standards")

Bill Coleman - From Boogie to Funk (#7)

Bobby Jaspar - Modern Jazz au Club Saint Germain (#27)

Chet Baker - And His Quintet with Bobby Jaspar (from the Barclay sessions - various editions)

Django Reinhardt - The Great Artistry of Django Reinhardt (#91 - titled "Nuages")

Donald Byrd - Byrd In Paris (#4)

Donald Byrd - Parisian Thoroughfare (#5)

Elek Bacsik - Guitar Conceptions (#15)

Guy Lafitte - Blue and Sentimental (#24)

Jazz At The Philharmonic - Les Tricheurs (#50 - partly on "Jazz et cinéma vol. 2", including some never before released tracks)

Jean-Luc Ponty - Jazz Long Playing (#43)

Lionel Hampton - And His French New Sound Vol. 1 (#45 - Vol. 2)

Lionel Hampton - And His French New Sound Vol. 2 (#44 - Vol. 1)

Lucky Thompson - Modern Jazz Group (#28)

Maurice Meunier - And His Orchestra (half of #54 - Clarinettes à Saint-Germain-des-Prés)

Max Roach - Parisian Sketches (#96 - also part of the Max Roach Mosaic)

Michel Legrand - Paris Jazz Piano (#32)

Multi Interprètes - Jazz Boom N°1 (new)

Pierre Michelot - Round About a Bass (#29)

Quincy Jones - I Dig Dancers (new - includes a few cuts Mosaic missed when they compiled their Q-box)

René Thomas - And His Orchestra (#16)

René Urtreger - Joue Bud Powell (#67)

Ronnell Bright - The Ronnell Bright Trio (half of #61 - titled "Piano aux Champs Elysées")

Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan à Paris (#83 - titled "Vaughan & Violins", new version adds four alternates)

Slide Hampton - Exodus (#10)

Sonny Criss - Mr Blues Pour Flirter (#23, adding most but not all of Criss' tracks from #55, "Saint Germain-des-Prés")

Stéphane Grappelli - Django (#87)

Toots Thielemans - Blues Pour Flirter (#17)

Willie Smith - Willie The Lion Smith (#64 - titled "Music On My Mind")