Jazz In Paris

king ubu

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ubu, you seem to have more JinP than I.

Can I recommend nr. 20 Harold Nicholas/June Richmond/Andy Bey? Just for the two final tracks, the ones with Kenny Dorham and Barney Wilen backing Andy Bey and the Bey Sisters. This was part of an extremely rare 45 Extended Play disc.

The rest of the CD is non-essential but pleasing.

You might also give a try to nr. 15 Elek Bacsik! Quite a guitar player!

You do need to get nr. 66 Raymond Fol Les Quatre Saisons. A novelty date that swings. Really good!

Elsewhere I have recommended nr. 54 Clarinettes a Saint-Germain des Pres that has sides played by two former Django Reinhardt clarinet players. Maurice Meunier is a very forgotten musician but he was really into something!

Give Rostaing and Meunier a chance before they disappear forever!

Nr. 99 Harlem pianists might also be recommended. Other forgotten musicians, all really excellent: Garland Wilson and Herman Chittison!

A couple of your items are pure nostalgia to me:

nr. 1 and 2, the 1965 Louis Armstrong concerts because I was there! Not really Pops at his best but it was always a kick to hear him live!,

nr. 100 Jazz Sous l'Occupation because I was there (and then not!). But I understand your point, you can skip that one!

There is also now a nr. 102 Django Reinhardt in Brussels, the sides recorded during the Occupation, which are available elsewhere!

Ubu, you seem to have more JinP than I.

Can I recommend nr. 20 Harold Nicholas/June Richmond/Andy Bey? Just for the two final tracks, the ones with Kenny Dorham and Barney Wilen backing Andy Bey and the Bey Sisters. This was part of an extremely rare 45 Extended Play disc.

The rest of the CD is non-essential but pleasing.

You might also give a try to nr. 15 Elek Bacsik! Quite a guitar player!

You do need to get nr. 66 Raymond Fol Les Quatre Saisons. A novelty date that swings. Really good!

Elsewhere I have recommended nr. 54 Clarinettes a Saint-Germain des Pres that has sides played by two former Django Reinhardt clarinet players. Maurice Meunier is a very forgotten musician but he was really into something!

Give Rostaing and Meunier a chance before they disappear forever!

Nr. 99 Harlem pianists might also be recommended. Other forgotten musicians, all really excellent: Garland Wilson and Herman Chittison!

A couple of your items are pure nostalgia to me:

nr. 1 and 2, the 1965 Louis Armstrong concerts because I was there! Not really Pops at his best but it was always a kick to hear him live!,

nr. 100 Jazz Sous l'Occupation because I was there (and then not!). But I understand your point, you can skip that one!

There is also now a nr. 102 Django Reinhardt in Brussels, the sides recorded during the Occupation, which are available elsewhere!

Thanks Guy! As you know me, I'll probably want to have "Jazz sous l'occupation", too, in the end...

I'm aware of the two Bey tracks, and it's them that made me pick the disc out of the shelf several times, already.

The Fol seems to have some good Griffin, so I'll want it anyway. I'll give the clarinets and Bacsik a chance, too.

How about the Dearie? The Goraguer? The Bolling? You certainly have those, don't you?

Flurin. .. the Toots is really nice. As good guitaring as Wes Montgomery is what I usually think when I hear it!

I like the Harlem Pianos one a lot as well. Nothing earth-shattering. . . I just love piano and there is great piano here.

And on the Dearie. I really like her light and swinging piano (there's no vocals on the piano trio tracks, 3/4s of the cd). The Blue Stars stuff is from one of their best sessions. . . .

Flurin. .. the Toots is really nice. As good guitaring as Wes Montgomery is what I usually think when I hear it!

I like the Harlem Pianos one a lot as well. Nothing earth-shattering. . . I just love piano and there is great piano here.

And on the Dearie. I really like her light and swinging piano (there's no vocals on the piano trio tracks, 3/4s of the cd). The Blue Stars stuff is from one of their best sessions. . . .

I've never heard more than the stray track of Thielemans', so this might be a nice and cheap way to something in that respect... I guess I'll end up getting them all, anyway.

What about the Peterson discs? Anyone here has them?

And the blues/trad ones: Memphis Slim/Willie Dixon, Bright/Simmons, Classic Jazz, Price/Cheatham, Bechet/Luter, Holland/Clayton/Singleton?

And that Django, what's its title? I wasn't aware the series continues! I only saw the deluxe boxes (which cost the prize of ten single JiP discs here...), but nothing else that was new, since the Distel came out.

Ubu, join the queue...

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...l=jazz+in+paris

The Django 102 was part of that 'From Belgium With Love' box that had already issued CDs from the series by Thielemans, Jaspar, Thomas...

It's available now as a single CD!

[How about the Dearie? The Goraguer? The Bolling? You certainly have those, don't you?

I like the Dearie but did not buy the JinP one. Not a great fan of The Blue Stars. And I had those Dearie piano sides on a Fresh Sound vinyl release from years ago that also included the Dearie/Bobby Jaspar sides from 1956 that were on JinP nr. 18.

Alain Goraguer and Claude Bolling, I live without them. Goraguer was a very good arranger (did a lot of interesting things with Gainsbourg and Greco) but I've heard better jazz pianist.

And that Django, what's its title? I wasn't aware the series continues! I only saw the deluxe boxes (which cost the prize of ten single JiP discs here...), but nothing else that was new, since the Distel came out.

Ubu, join the queue...

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...l=jazz+in+paris

The Django 102 was part of that 'From Belgium With Love' box that had already issued CDs from the series by Thielemans, Jaspar, Thomas...

It's available now as a single CD!

Now you have me confused... I will post in the other thread.

ubu

• 1 month later...

Well, I got the four new box sets today. I couldn't resist the preorder price from cduniverse; I got them all for less than ninety dollars total.

And as Clem has noted elsewhere. . . they are spectacular reissues. Beautiful boxes, beautiful booklets, beautiful digipaks, beautiful sound. . . . And it appears that there is quite a bit of material from 78s that are not within the 102 other cd releases.

Really, when you hold these in your hands you just marvel at their organized beauty. Some spectacular photos and paintings and handbills and song sheets and. . . . Going to be slowly savoring these for some time!

"...they are spectacular reissues. Beautiful boxes, beautiful booklets, beautiful digipaks, beautiful sound. ."

Too true! Ordered the 'Rive Gauche, Rive Droite' box and was expecting a Select-sized box rather than this 10x10 thing of beauty! Quickly cast out the net and ordered four more duplicate boxes in order to squirrel 'em away and give to friends as gifts down the road. Sure beats the standard 'ol bottle wine when you go to someone's home for a party or a nice dinner.

• 7 months later...

Jazz In Paris also added its first vinyl to the series. A ten-incher.

Cool Jazz At Saint-Germain des Prés

Could not find anything about it on Universal.fr or at Amazon.fr.

The LP includes two sessions, one by the Armand Migiani Nonet (a May 1956 session for Philips France with Roger Guérin, Maurice Vander, Pierre Michelot among others), the second by the Michel de Villers Sextet (an April 1956 session for Decca France with André Persiany and Paul Rovère among others).

Nice slightly doctored black-and-white cover shot by Paul Almasy taken at the Caveau de la Huchette!

FNAC. com says it is a numbered limited edition! I'm sure it's a limited edition (one of a kind I am told, with no additional vinyl planned) but I could find any number on my copy :angry:

Very nice anyway even if the sound seems a bit flat!

According to Alan's site, the hard-to-find Chet Baker BROKEN WING (mentioned much earlier in this thread, I believe) came out last week:

556720.jpg

Please elaborate, ghost.

This thread turned me on to the Jazz in Paris series, and I've found it to be very rewarding on the whole.

I must own about 25 or more of these by now (afraid to actually count).

My latest obsession is the Jazz in Paris Willie "the Lion" Smith disc Music on My Mind. Highly recommended for the stride-minded. I can't stop playing it.

About the Chet Baker 'Broken Wing' JazzInParis CD, it was withdrawn from the catalogue several months after its relase, probably over copyrights. Although a number of the 'Broken Wing' CDs were available at the time of its withdrawal, it turned out to be a very hard-to-find issue.

This was the only JiP CD which was omitted from the huge 75-CD Jazz in Paris box that was released in 2002.

Edited by brownie

About the Chet Baker 'Broken Wing' JazzInParis CD, it was withdrawn from the catalogue several months after its relase, probably over copyrights. Although a number of the 'Broken Wing' CDs were available at the time of its withdrawal, it turned out to be a very hard-to-find issue.

This was the only JiP CD which was omitted from the huge 75-CD Jazz in Paris box that was released in 2002.

S'what I thought, but ghost's post made it sound like it was available again, so I was curious.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my underlings from the Reich asked how the new Fohrenbach set was - I though this here was the right place to answer that question.

5310914.jpg

So here's a few impressions:

First session (CD1 #1-8), rec. 1954: rather conventional swing-to-bop mainstream, with nice tenor playing by Fofo (as it seems he was called).

Second part (CD1#9-12, CD2#1-4): OUTSTANDING STUFF! First half of this 10 incher with the weird title "Mais qu'avez-vous donc fait de la face chachée de la lune, docteur Fohrenbach?" contains the "visible" side of the moon: a great quartet session with the trio of the late Arvanitas (Jacky Samson, bass - erroneously listed as playing guitar - and Charles Saudrais - drums). Four great cuts, all originals by Fohrenbach, who's sound is by now significantly different, more modern, very nice! This is from 1978, btw. Second side ("invisible" half of the moon) contains "you can do everything with a tenor sax and a magnetophone": experimental overdubbed tracks featuring Fofo and tapes of more Fofo, tenor exclusively, except for one track that also contains piano. Great version of "Peanuts Vendor", plus a standard "Body and Soul" and Giuffre's "Four Brothers", in addition to two more of his own pieces, "Narcissus 1" and "Narcissus 2".

Then on we go wiht the unreleased portions of the set: first there's his band Sexfide (feat Roger Guérin & Bernard Vitet on trumpet, Pierre Cullaz on guitar, Bibi Rovère on bass and Jean-Louis Viale on drums). Four lenghty cuts from 1966, of which I've up to know only heard the first one,s o I cannot say a lot about this date or what follows (a track with Geo Daly also from 1966, three tracks with Fofo on organ and unknown orchestra, plus one last cut from 1963 with Ivan Jullien (he's on the Porgy & Bess JiP) and a couple of others unknown to me.

In short: the Sexfide and magnétophone tracks to me have a vibe similar to Gil Mellé's music: experimental, yet swingin, cool, yet passionate at moments. Very very nice music! The date with Arva is great, the early sides are good, too. No idea how good the rest of disc 2 is, though, since I haven't yet heard it. But from what I've heard so far, it should be good, too!

Thanks for the tip brownie.

Just ordered my copy from Dusty Groove last night. They're asking $16.99 if anyone is interested.

Jazz In Paris also added its first vinyl to the series. A ten-incher.

Cool Jazz At Saint-Germain des Prés

Could not find anything about it on Universal.fr or at Amazon.fr.

The LP includes two sessions, one by the Armand Migiani Nonet (a May 1956 session for Philips France with Roger Guérin, Maurice Vander, Pierre Michelot among others), the second by the Michel de Villers Sextet (an April 1956 session for Decca France with André Persiany and Paul Rovère among others).

Nice slightly doctored black-and-white cover shot by Paul Almasy taken at the Caveau de la Huchette!

FNAC. com says it is a numbered limited edition! I'm sure it's a limited edition (one of a kind I am told, with no additional vinyl planned) but I could find any number on my copy :angry:

Very nice anyway even if the sound seems a bit flat!

• 4 months later...

According to Alan's site, the hard-to-find Chet Baker BROKEN WING (mentioned much earlier in this thread, I believe) came out last week:

556720.jpg

The release of this album by Verve was listed a few months ago on their website. It's no longer listed. Anyone knows if this was indeed reissued?

• 2 months later...

There seems to be a new release of 70s piano solo recordings by the great Bernard Peiffer. Since there's no thread dedicated to him, I post about it here... does anyone have it? brownie?

I stumbled over it on CDbaby where it's sold for rather steep 18$, so I'd like to know some more about it, before ordering. Here's the cover:

bpcoverjpeg.jpg